1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Home Schooling? How Do You Spell That?

Discussion in '2007 Archive' started by Rufus_1611, Jun 4, 2007.

1. Rufus_1611

Rufus_1611 New Member

2. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think any spelling bee champion should have his teachers/school honored along with him or her whether it be homeschooling or otherwise.

I used to be extremely impressed with these young people who win these spelling bees and I still am to some degree.

However, I found out last year that they are given "lists" of words to memorize ahead of time. That sort of takes a little of the shine off of the limelight for me.

However, I don't think that I could memorize a list well enough to beat these kids. They are still GREAT and should be treated like champions.

And their schools, whether homeschools, private schools, or public schools should be at least mentioned.

3. StefanM

StefanM Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    When I did spelling bees, we had lists to memorize, but at regionals, after only a few rounds, they started pulling them from the dictionary.

That's when it got scary.

4. James_Newman

James_Newman New Member

I happened to catch a few words in the later rounds of the finals and I was very impressed with the way they use the available clues to solve the spelling for difficult words that they had obviously never heard before. They are allowed to ask for definitions, alternate pronunciations, use in a sentence, and word origin and that is all they have to go on. I did some spelling bees in elementary, and I know how difficult it is to stand in front of a bunch of people and try to spell words. These kids are awesome!

5. Chessic

Chessic New Member

...with an "H."

I believe I even heard Robin Roberts (an ABC anchor I am not fond of) make some comment during the event like "Only 3 previous winners have been home-schooled." It made me want to ask:

- What percentage of these kids have been home-schooled and how does that compare with the percentage of home-schooled kids in the country?
    - How do the success rates of home-schoolers compare with those of other kids?

6. go2church

go2church Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Perhaps it's "ignored" as you say because it really isn't that big of a story on the level of say Iraq, healthcare, security. Who really cares? I guess if one needs to feed the national media against poor little home school children and their dedicated parents it can be slanted that way.

7. Magnetic Poles

Magnetic Poles New Member

I wouldn't call having it on a major network in prime time exactly being ignored.

8. Chessic

Chessic New Member

Have to say I wonder what the big deal is every year. It seems kind of arbitrary.

Let's take some people....maybe...kids...yeah, that's it...no older than say....15...wait, no....14 is better...and let's make them do stuff....like cartwheels....or spelling....and then we can watch them...and listen, too...and show their anxious but supportive parents a lot....

9. Enoch

Enoch New Member

We really enjoyed watching the Spelling Bee and were excited to see him win.

:thumbs::thumbs: