1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Homegoing of Leon Kilbreth; "Mr Sunday School"

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Berean, Sep 13, 2010.

1. Berean

Berean Member
    Site Supporter

One of Sunday School’s finest went home to be with his Lord last week. Leon Kilbreth passed away Thursday, September 2 at 1:45 pm. Leon was one of the last of the great Sunday School pioneers of the stature of Arthur Flake, J. N. Barnette, and Harry Piland. A champion of Education Ministers and Sunday School, Leon was well known for his Sunday School Revivals. He was known throughout the midwest as “Mr. Sunday School.”
    Leon’s funeral service will be at 11:00 a.m. at Calvary Baptist Church in Alton, Illinois. Memorials may be made to Eunice C. Smith Nursing Home at 1251 College Ave., Alton, IL 62002 or to BJC Hospice. Additional information and online guest book may be found at www.gentfuneralhome.com
    If you are in Christian education ministry today as an education minister, Sunday School director, teacher or class member, I can just about assure you that you are part of the Sunday School legacy of Leon Kilbreth.
    Leon has gone on to his heavenly home, but his legacy in the Sunday School movement remains. You are encouraged to leave a comment below about how Leon has impacted your life and ministry.

2. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

I "had" a full SS revival series of Brother Kilbreath given to me------------and now with over 3 church moves----for the life of me I do not know what I did with those cassettes!!!

Great man of the Lord!!

3. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

Bro. Kilbreth held one of his SS Revivals at my church in Paducah, back in the late 1960s or early 1970s. He taught us the Roman Road. Our church took to him like no other evangelist before or since. He stirred within many of us a passion for the lost, and helped a lot of us lose our fear of sharing the gospel.

Beyond that, he took us back to basics to grow our Sunday School. He held that when you grow your Sunday School, you'll grow your church.

#3 Tom Butler, Sep 13, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 13, 2010