1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Homeschool Public School Combination

Discussion in 'Homeschooling Forum' started by North Carolina Tentmaker, Aug 25, 2008.

1. North Carolina Tentmaker

Anyone else here using public and homeschool at the same time?

North Carolina is a very homeschool friendly state. They have a number of online programs where homeschool kids can take classes for free that give full credit at their local high school if they decide to transfer later.

Well after Tim Tebow won the Heisman I guess a lot of homeschool kids decided they wanted to play football. My son did. He is a junior this year. In order to be eligible to participate in extracurricular activities at our local public school he had to enroll in at least two classes. He could have done them online but he decided to take them at the school. He started today at 11:30. He will be taking PreCalculus and PE at the school. After Christmas he will be taking Chemistry second semester.

He started practicing with the football team this summer and played his first game last Friday. This is his first year and he is not that good, but he did get into two series there at the end.

The school said that since he is a homeschooler taking classes at the public school they will just send us his transcripts. If next year we decide to send him full time to the school we can send them ours later.

I guess we always knew we would mainstream him at some point, but I kind of figured that would be college age.

2. North Carolina Tentmaker

My wife just called, she went with him the first day. She met another homeschool family at the school and they are sending their son to the public school to take Spanish.

So we are not the only ones.

3. Joe

Joe New Member

Congratulations on your son making the team:thumbs:

It's pretty cut throat out here....So many kids! It's a huge accomplishment

Just curious but if you don't mainstream him, aren't you worried he won't be able to learn to socialize with his peers?

Or that could just be a misconception, it's the first thing or one of the first things people ask homeschoolers here. We tried it, it was not good. Talk about an awful education, we hardly did a thing and the State considered it enough. I think we worked an hour a day, but they did gi eus extra money for art classes or other alternative classes.
    Burp and you could call it PE

#3 Joe, Aug 25, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 25, 2008
  4. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

That whole socialization thing with homeschoolers is overrated and overstated. Most homeschooled kids are not locked behind closed doors for their entire lives. My daughters did horseback riding, ballet, soccer, 4H, homeschool group, Pioneer Girls, Sunday School - not to mention they grew up in a family. They played with kids in the neighborhood and did quite well.

I have to say - my oldest went to public school for K and 1st grades and my second daughter went to public school for K. The changes I saw in them when they were in school - the attitude and new "needs" they had (such as the latest fad and such) made me SOOO happy to take them home. Unless God tells us to, there is no way my kids would go to school in elementary or middle school. I send them back to 9th grade IF NEEDED - and my oldest two needed it.

Interestingly enough, when my older two went to the high school in 9th grade, I got amazing comments from the teachers. Each time we went to back to school night and met our 9th graders' teachers, I would mention that they were homeschooled for all these years so they might have a little bit of a time adjusting to the "lecture" style of a classroom and for the teachers to be aware of it (and to let me know if there were ever any issues they saw that we needed to know about). I got one of two comments pretty much consistently: 1) Wow! I would have never known they were homeschooled! They fit in the class so well! 2) I should have known. They are SO different than the other kids. They're polite and listen to me. They can also engage in a great discussion and know how to communicate their thoughts.

So I don't worry too much about socialization. Hey - if it worked for thousands of years and we had SO many great men and women in history who were homeschooled and did quite fine, then I think these kids will be fine too. Of course the parent needs to be diligent and WORK at homeschooling and not be lax. I want to be sure my child is atleast at the level of those others in school - and I have a copy of the school district's curriculum for each grade to be sure of that. But I know the social aspect is not an issue.

5. Joe

Joe New Member

I agree. If they grew up in the programs you listed above, and were kept active in organizations with other kids, there shouldn't be a problem. Nice to hear the Teachers were so encouraging about homeschooling :thumbs: You must have really surprised them enrolling your kids.
    Imo, the secular schools are way too competitive, don't let the kids just be kids.

When I hear the word homeschool, I cringe. I really need to pray not to be judgemental about it. From workng at CPS, (I fill in for an hour or so a day now when it's needed, like during lunch) when a call comes in and during the interview you hear the word "homeschool" or the kids are invovled in church (especially Cults, Catholic or IFB Baptist) it gets placed at the top of the pile. There is often no one watching out for these kids. Despite the fact less than 10% of people homeschool and far less than 10% attend church here, I estimate they make up about 35-45% of the abuse cases each year. Close all churches, make homeschooling illegal and that seems to be the answer. But it's certainly not the answer...
    The best education early on imo is homeschool if they are involved in other activities. They are probably more likely to become christians too if in that enviornment during the day. I don't think homeschool is God's perfect plan though, I think he meant for educated Christians to teach the children.

#5 Joe, Aug 25, 2008
  6. North Carolina Tentmaker

Thanks Joe, its single A rural North Carolina so its not that hard to make the team. They are also not that good. With an enrollment of 265 we are said to be the smallest public high school in NC that still fields a football team. I know of 2 smaller high schools but they don't play football.

No I am not worried at all about socialization.:laugh:

A lot of homeschoolers get beat up about that. Between church, youth sports, scouts, and his brothers and sister, I think he will be just fine. He takes guitar outside the home and took drivers ed at the high school last year. Went to scout camp and Bible camp. He gets along fine. My biggest worry is keeping the girls away from him.

Sounds like your homeschool experience was pretty bad. I don't mean to pick on you Joe, but it does come back to the parents. Some parents have no business home schooling and if you are not willing to put in the hours and spend the money then don't try it. If you were getting by on an hour a day thats not really putting much effort into it.

NC is a great state to homeschool in but we are registered with the state as a homeschool and have testing, cirriculum, and attendance requirements. We have a lot of homeschoolers and no schoolers around us. Some do a great job. Others don't. A lot of people homeschool 'underground,' they don't register with the state and turn in their paperwork or testing. That is not homeschool, its neglegence, and their children are the ones who suffer.

We do achievement tests every year, more than the state requires. And if we find one of ours is dropping behind we will put them in ps. But that has not happened yet.

As far as abuse cases, I am glad there are agencies out there looking out for children. We do have religious freedom in this country, and that includes my beliefs about what and how I teach my children. There is a fine line between that and abuse in some cases. May God give you and the agencies the wisdom to discern between them.

7. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

See, I DO see it as God's perfect plan. Deuteronomy 6:4-9 is kind of the homeschooler's marching orders, in our minds:

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God, the LORD is one. You shall love the LORD your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your might. And these words that I command you today shall be on your heart. You shall teach them diligently to your children, and shall talk of them when you sit in your house, and when you walk by the way, and when you lie down, and when you rise. You shall bind them as a sign on your hand, and they shall be as frontlets between your eyes. You shall write them on the doorposts of your house and on your gates."

How much more can we be with our children and teach them than if we're with them all the time? When my children are in school, they're gone from 7AM to 4PM (high school). The littles would be gone from 7:30 AM to 3PM. A LOT of time with the influence of those who most likely don't love God with all their heart, soul, mind and strength. That's why I feel so strongly about keeping your children home with you when they're little.

I DO think that homeschooling is not for everyone. I know women who just could not handle it and those who neglected the teaching. I know others who clash with their children - which to me is a deeper issue beyond schooling but it came between them and the child. But ideally, I think the BEST choice is to homeschool. The second best would be a solid Bible teaching, academically challenging Christian school (so many are weak theologically or else academically) and lastly, public school. God spoke to both my DH and I separately that our daughters needed to go to school - for different reasons for each of them. I'm willing to homeschool as long as God tells me to - which may be to 12th grade with the last 2 - we'll see what happens. :)

I have seen our family and other families greatly blessed by homeschooling. Yes, I've seen abuses too but I have to say that the VAST majority of homeschoolers are solid, work hard to educate their children and seek the best for their child. I know you work with CPS, Joe - and that's going to jade your view a lot. Honestly my father has a similar situation from having been a New York City cop for over 40 years. He does not have a good view of minorities because of it. His views are not accurate across the board for the minorities but most of what he saw happened involved them - so he can be like Archie Bunker. LOL I do love him anyway. ;)

8. Joe

Joe New Member

Hmmm.......ok. I guess that could be God's perfect plan :)

You hit the nail on the head. Kids spending alot of time with those who do not love God. Not good
    We pretty much homeschooled our son from toddler thru 5 years old. He was third grade level upon many subjects when entering kindergarden. They wanted to skip him a grade but we declined. My eyes were stronger then, by the time he was 8 yrs, my eyes had weakened. So when I attempted homeschooling later (we had no choice for about3 months) it wasn't a good situation. But our local public school would have been worse so we had to wait until he got back into his other school. We had moved across town.

I agree, homeschool can be the best choice. It may be the right choice ideally though I agree it is not for everyone because some parents can't homeschool well do to physical or mental issues.
    Wonderful :) Sounds like Godly parents who homeschool produced many godly families
    Yeah, it's jaded but that's how it goes. After being on the phone a while, you can pick out people's words. Almost know the situation somewhat prior to looking into it. Religious child abusers use the same terms, and bible verses to hurt their children.

Christians, especially in cults, also homeschool and are taught by the church that the outside world is bad. Like the FLDS women were taught falsehoods about the outside world which scared them into staying in the cult. Imho, sometimes it's good to watch out for these types.

I developed part of their training manual years ago to address religious issues, (before I was a Christian). A relative of mine was the Head of Adult & Protective Services so that made it easier to push thru what I wanted.

Later they became convinced Christians won't change beliefs, and the child abuse problem wasn't getting better so they steered them towards a better Christian church. They posesses Pastors who are educated, and will contact CPS in a problem. They teach parents God's way to parent their kids.

CPS now holds their classes at the Nazarene Church. Most of the parents go into the churches rec room during break where they offer free refreshments & coffee. The church members give them a phamplet encouraging them to also take the parenting classes offered by the church. Most of the parents have questions, they are upset and confused. The church offers them support thru their classes. Since the parents do not have their children (CPS has them), the often show up for the additional classes. Parents then they get a certificate they can show CPS (though some CPS workers don't care because it means nothing really) other workers love the idea but there is one lesbian worker who complained about it, citing separation of church and state. It's walking a thin line, but it's been occuring for many years now.

They convert many former child abusers, and have a great program called Celebrate Recovery.

#8 Joe, Aug 25, 2008
  9. Joe

Joe New Member

Sounds like a loving Dad talking. :thumbs:

You're right. I wasn't a good homeschool parent. My eyes were causing me pain and it wasn't the situation we wanted. I was also working. But he got back into his public school after we moved, so it wasn't a long length of time. He didn't fall behind and we got to spend time together, so it wasn't all bad.

10. menageriekeeper

menageriekeeper Active Member

Here in Alabama, the public schools will not allow a dual enrollment with a church/private school. We dual enroll our highschoolers in college instead!

But, depending on the school and the coach, homeschoolers are allowed to play some sports or be in the band.

And our vocational training schools will accept homeschoolers gladly.

11. abcgrad94

abcgrad94 Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ann, I agree with you wholeheartedly.

Joe, I'm sorry your experience with CPS has jaded your view of homeschoolers. Most of us are actually very good parents. There are a few abusers who hide their actions under the TERM "homeschooling" but that doesn't make all or even most homeschoolers bad, just as all Christians are not bad because a few cults hide under the term "Christianity."

One reason why homeschooling doesn't work out for some parents is because they simply try to do school at home without realizing the beauty of homeschool is the flexibility. It's what you make it. I know parents who make their kids sit at a desk all day just as if they were in a classroom at school. I know others who teach their kids spelling while jumping rope or folding laundry. You do what's best for your child's learning style.

Here in WV, we have to have our kids tested every year to make sure they are keeping up. We have to "prove" ourselves, yet I've personally seen and worked with inept teachers who fail to make this same standard in a regular school. Ironic, isn't it?

Rant over. By the way, my kids cannot dual enroll, yet the state gladly takes my tax money to help pay for the public school system while I homeschool.

12. FriendofSpurgeon

FriendofSpurgeon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Here in FL, I think they can dual enroll with the public schools. I know they can with the colleges, as we have friends who have done so.

Most of our friends who have homeschooled have had very few problems with socialization issues. Some moved into public high schools and others waited until college. I think this issue is way over-stated by the home school haters out there.

That being said, it's not for everyone. I think we would have killed our kids. It's much better to help them with homework once they get home.

13. I Am Blessed 24

I Am Blessed 24 Active Member

I home schooled Brent the first two years he lived with us, then sent him to our Christian school this past year. We talked about it and he would rather home school this year. He is a freshman.

He can take part in the extra-curricular activities at the Christian school while homeschooling.

Every Friday at the Christian school is for extra credits. This year, Brent will be going there to learn Spanish and take band.

The only thing he will do at the public high school is take Driver's Education.

He is also taking two electives here at home, giving him 6 subjects here and 2 electives every Friday at the church.

Plus his paper route, basketball practice, basketball games, home and away tournaments, youth activities, convention, field trips, school trip, church.

I don't believe he'll feel isolated. :)

BTW, Joe.
    We are IFB. I didn't realize we had belonged to a cult for 35 years.:(

#13 I Am Blessed 24, Aug 26, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 27, 2008
  14. ReformedBaptist

ReformedBaptist Well-Known Member

We have found plenty of co-ops (other homeschoolers) and private classes by homeschoolers to do some things we can't do, like language study. Our requirement is always that the co-op/class is devoted to the glory of God above all.

15. Bob Alkire

Bob Alkire New Member

Fl. has an online school for homeschoolers if parents want to use it. It is called Florida Virtual School.

16. Bob Alkire

Bob Alkire New Member

Joe, I have heard what you are saying many times and being a member of an IFB church in 2006 I said I would check it out around here.

In our state prisons there are very few home school folks and very few who call themselves IFB. I think the CofC had the smallest amount of members in prison here in Florida of any group that was listed and the RCC had the most and I think SBC members were 3rd. or 4th.

In our local jail back then in 2006 we had never had anyone locked up who was known to be home schooled and only a few IFB but a larger number on RCC, Missionary Baptist and then SBC.

As of 2006 we had not had and child abuse cases on home school children or their parents. But we have had a few cases with public school teachers.

Private and home schools are big here in Florida.

As I said my records could be off today but back in 2006 they were correct.

17. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

I did that for a short while a number of years ago in Ohio. We did public pre-school at home. They actually had a program through head start where the teacher would come to our house once a week for an hour or so and read a story, talk about stuff, bring books and projects.

Then later, had another who went there for speech therapy and I forget the other thing. The thing is, a public school MUST provide a child within the district with sports, music, and stuff like speech therapy, since the family isn't exempt form paying the taxes that support the schools and they are required to service homeschool children too if the parents request those services.

18. Beth

Beth New Member

our school district won't let us

We are allowed to take gym classes, if we wanted, but we can't bring our kids into speech and language classes...I'm not sure that is legal, though, to exclude the homeschooled children.