1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Homeschool Vs. Christian school

Discussion in 'Homeschooling Forum' started by heisrisen, Nov 6, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. heisrisen

heisrisen Active Member

If you homeschool, what made you decide to homeschool over sending your kid to a Christian school? I'm torn between the two. I think God is leading me to homeschool, but sometimes I think hmm, maybe my daughter should just go to Christian school. Why do you homeschool isntead?

2. padredurand

padredurand Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    We are raising our only grandchild. He's been with us since he was 4 months old. We homeschooled our children (all in their 30s now) and as the little ankle biter turned old enough to go to school we wrestled with the same question. Tuition at the only Christian school in the area is about $2750 a year plus books and it's 20 miles away.

Homeschooling is a natural extension of what we've always done. Everything is a teaching moment. Homeschooling formalizes it.

• Winner Winner x 1
  3. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

There was no way that I could afford Christian school and it wasn't even a consideration because of that. I homeschooled because my oldest daughter had ADD and just couldn't sit in a regular classroom and so even a Christian school wouldn't have been the right choice for her. I am in my 19th year of homeschooling now and that ADD second grader I started out with is now a certified art teacher looking for a full time teaching job but in the meantime is a full time substitute teacher. Her younger sister was pulled home because it was working well for her older sister and that little first grader who I pulled out the second year we homeschooled is sitting in the kitchen studying for her midterms - for her doctorate in audiology. :)

I have one still at home and one that's in the public high school right now. I homeschool through 8th grade and then send them to school and it's worked well for us.

If you feel led to homeschool, do it. I know it's a huge step (the pit I had in my stomach when that school bus went by our house on the first day of school made me question my sanity) but it will be some of the best years of your life. Having the privilege of educating our children is wonderful and I wish everyone could experience what I have through all of these years. :)

• Like Like x 2
  4. heisrisen

heisrisen Active Member

If you feel led to homeschool, do it. I know it's a huge step (the pit I had in my stomach when that school bus went by our house on the first day of school made me question my sanity) but it will be some of the best years of your life. Having the privilege of educating our children is wonderful and I wish everyone could experience what I have through all of these years. :)[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the response and encouragement. And yes I have looked and the schools I checked out are expensive. Sounds like your kids turned out awesome. It gives me hope.

5. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hi Padre....I would really like to know how you do it ...see I'm not a proponent of sending any kid off to public schools....and Im a skeptic with regard to private christian schools. I would rather they got their early instruction from me & my wife.

• Like Like x 1
  6. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I'm not Padre but I'll let you know how I do it: Just decide and go for it! I get my curriculum from a variety of sources and we just start our school day at 9 and go through it all. :) For 19 years, this has been my life. 19 years!! LOL I have seen wonderful benefits from having my children home and the greatest of them are the character benefits. They get a great education but more than that, they learn true godly character from their parents and that is a gift. :)

• Like Like x 1
  7. ElenaP

ElenaP Member

Some children would not do well with homeschooling, others would. I think it depends on your child, because you may have all the good intentions of the world but if your child is not receiving and thriving from your teaching then they would be better off in a formal school. You can always homeschool them after regular school and on weekends.

If it is an issue of who they will encounter in a regular school, then that's a different topic.

8. Carnold23

Carnold23 Member

I have been thinking about this topic for a long time now.
    I think that I have decided to send my children to the local Christian school.
    In our area Christian schools are free, and after a lot of thought and discussion we decided that we are going to go that route.
    If all goes well my children will have the socialization and typical school experience and still be taught Christian values.
    We will be keeping our eyes out, and if there is too many things we don't agree with we will pull them out.

• Like Like x 1
  9. The Convicted Mama

The Convicted Mama New Member

Homeschooling offers many benefits, but it also can be done poorly. I hope your kids thrive at Christian school! If not, I highly recommend homeschooling :)

10. Paul from Antioch

Paul from Antioch Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I agree with The Convicted Mama. While not ALL Christian Day Schools are not free (This would depend on certain factors such as the rules/regulations for not charging tuition, etc., for your student(s). In most cases, the local or state (or both) would be the one to deal with this. That being said, not ALL families can afford to have the parent (Most likely this would be the mother.) stay home to teach the family's children. If the mother CAN stay home to teach the children, fine, OTOH most of the time this isn't the case. In my own situation, I taught in a Christian Day School in its Jr & Sr High grade levels back in the mid 1970s to the mid 1990s. The availability of Christian textbooks at these grade levels, for the most part woefully inadequate or even non-existent. What WAS available seemed to me to be either too expensive for a small Christian Day School to afford. Thus, for most of my tenure at this Christian Day School, I had to make up my own educational material. Also, in my case, in order for our Christian Day School to even exist, the state imposed a requirement that ANY Christian Day School in that state had to belong to both a state & nationally-recognized Christian Day School association. Thankfully, the state in which our Christian Day School was located DID have such an association. HOWEVER, that association had very stringent guidelines to follow: (1) The school not only had to prove that it was not a "White Flight" school by identifying each teacher AND each of its governing body were members of various races, etc. (2) Each administrator and teacher had to show not only their credentials for teaching in that particular grade level (i.e., a teacher whose credentials for teaching High School-level grades could not teach in any lower-level grades, & vice versa PLUS the school's administrator(s) had to show his/her credentials for being an administrator of that particular Christian Day School. (3) ALL personnel (both teachers & administrators) had to prove in writing that she/he was continuing his/her education in both the level(s) in which they were teaching AND also in every subject matter in which they were teaching. This was quite a chore for a teacher in the jr high & sr high levels because most of the time these teachers usually were teaching in a variety of different subjects (e.g., math & science or in Bible & in each "social studies" subject [e.g., civics, economics, history, etc.]). SO, establishing a multi-grade level Christian Day School back then was not a simple undertaking. AND NOW, with seemingly MORE opposition to Christian Day Schools being what it is, it's most likely even MORE difficult an undertaking. SO, if a small local church is planning on pursuing such an undertaking today, they'd be well advised in considering the obisiticles they may have to face, IOW, "Fore warned IS fore armed"!!

11. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    This thread from 2016 is closed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.