1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Homeschooling Pro & Con 2

Discussion in 'Homeschooling Forum' started by rlvaughn, May 27, 2021.

1. rlvaughn

rlvaughn Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't usually post here, and usually forget there is such a forum. However, I think this could be an interesting topic, and at least one that Paul from Antioch wished to discuss. To get started, here is what robycop posted overa year ago.
    Also, here is a related essay from the internet:
    Benefits and Disadvantages of Homeschooling

2. robycop3

robycop3 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    My youngest grandson was homeschooled this school year due to the pandemic. While he learned at a higher than his peers(He is 6), he missed playing/interacting with his peers who don't live close.

3. kathleenmariekg

kathleenmariekg Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Pandemic homeschooling is an entirely different beast than the type of homeschooling that took place in the 1980's and 1990's, and the type of homeschooling that took place from 2000 to 2019.

Pros and Cons lists written by secular observers are not always accurate pros and cons for what takes place in Christian and rural and expat homeschools.

As for socialization, other children are like candy. Children love them, but too much of a good thing will make them rotten. Children who spend large amounts of time being socialized by adults learn to be social around adults, which is the end-game goal. Lots and lots of same-age peer socialization is an inefficient way to rear a socialized adult.

Children thrive off of manual labor performed alongside adults. Brick and mortar schools and modern laws steal that opportunity from most children. I have had the opportunity to watch two generations of homeschooled children grow to adulthood and it has been interesting. My conclusion is that the more manual labor alongside adults, and the less same-age peer socialization, the better.

• Like Like x 2
  4. robycop3

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Of course, it's a proven fact that letting kids be kids & play is best for full mental development.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. rlvaughn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I expect much of that was pandemic related. When we homeschooled our children (many years ago now), they actually got a higher level of interaction with other kids than they did when in public school. It was just at other times than school.)

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. robycop3

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    A BIG help was permitting homeschoolers to participate in extracurricular activities, which is only fair, as the parents are paying taxes, same as the parents of the kids in school.

7. kathleenmariekg

kathleenmariekg Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Extracurricular activities is a complicated issue. I have no opinion on it either way, because it overlaps with other issues that have nothing to do with the activities themselves. Taxes is just one of them. Access to scholarships is another. And there are so many more.

Some parents are homeschooling for very different reasons than others. I think the number of people still homeschooling for the reasons that parents homeschooled in the 80s and 90s is about equal, and I think the majority of those parents don't care about access to anything the school has to offer. But the masses that have joined the ranks over the decades have different agendas and worldviews and senses of entitlement.

Soooo... I have no opinion. LOL.

8. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Con....the home part. :Biggrin

9. rlvaughn

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I agree.
    Back when we were homeschooling, participating in extracurricular activities at public school was not an option. Had it been, we would not have considered it. Since we have chosen to distance ourselves from certain problems/issues, we would not have chosen to opt back in for extracurricular. Ours were other things such as 4-H (which was run through the county extension office), home school activities organized with other home schoolers, and other things (such as ball leagues, church related stuff, etc.) that were available to the public either for free or for a fee.

10. Marooncat79

Marooncat79 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Church
    Swim lessons
    Martial arts
    Regular Art Class

there were several

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1