1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Homiletical Theology: What makes a great sermon?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by evangelist6589, Dec 25, 2013.

1. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    By all means, please feel free to elaborate.

Was not the commandment to to teach/instruct/disciple?

2. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

As mentioned in another thread, Paul Washer slithered into our local congregation to speak twice, two times too many. His entire presentation was demeaning, disrespectful, and nothing but damaging to the cause of Christ. He presented a slide show before his sermon that centered on him and his Jungle Jim adventures in Peru. His sermons are a circus side show, and he is a disgrace. This person brings nothing but dissention and division in a local church.

#22 saturneptune, Dec 27, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 27, 2013
  3. evangelist6589

evangelist6589 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What of the churches he speaks in that disagree with you and love and welcome Paul? How do you answer them?

4. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The work of the Spirit.

5. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

The pastors I have served under were a diverse group. Some preached only expository sermons; some mainly topical, and some did both. One of my pastors taught homiletics at Mid-Continent University (where I now serve on the board of trustees). He taught his ministerial students to eschew what he called "topical trash" and preach expository sermons only

As part of a final exam, each student had to preach a sermon to the class. One student preached a topical sermon. He got an F. When the student received his grade, he stormed into the professor's office. "You gave me an F. God told me to preach that sermon."

The professor replied: "God told me to give you an F."

6. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

0h, and what makes a good sermon.

One definition I heard: Three points and a poem.

7. quantumfaith

quantumfaith Active Member

For most congregants, two points and poem is even better. :)

8. thisnumbersdisconnected

And there are those who miss the point completely. :laugh:

9. evangelist6589

evangelist6589 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    In general you are correct, however can God not work topically? But yes I sees your point in that there are TOO MANY monkeys in pulpits across out land that only teach on self-help, success, and practically and never dive into theology.

Churches like this one are a prime example.

http://wearepcc.com/adults/men/

They need to read how Stephen was stoned, and the persecutions that many christians face all over the world. They should also go to downtown San Francisco and do some open air preaching and watch how people will mock and spit on them before the day is done!!

10. preachinjesus

preachinjesus Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Given the evidences of early Christian and Second Temple Judaistic homiletical forms the expository style we are most familiar with today is almost entirely unknown to the NT era. Aspects of it exist, but (and particularly I'm thinking of Jewish midrashism) the topical and allegorical approaches dominated that era.

It's always curious to hear arguments for an expository form that makes it out to be the NT model when, in fact, there are clear examples of other forms being used.

11. quantumfaith

quantumfaith Active Member

A voice of reason. Thanks for your insight.

12. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Peter's Sermon, Acts 2:14-41

Opening, reference to current event, folks who had appeared drunk.

Explanation, these demonstrated the partial fulfillment of Joel 2:28 and following.

Now listen to the words of Jesus, who is well attested by signs and wonders. This man delivered up according to God's predetermined plan, you nailed to the cross. Here Peter convicts the audience of their wretchedness.

Peter then doubles down, God raised Jesus from the dead!

Using another OT reference, Peter demonstrates Jesus is greater than King David, whose body rots to this day.

Still using David, Peter tells his audience that David spoke of Jesus and His resurrection.

And then, Peter tells them that it was Jesus who poured out the Spirit, they themselves had witnessed.

Finally, Peter draws it to close, restating His main point, God made Jesus both Lord and Christ.

Seeing that people had been moved, Peter gives an invitation.

In summary we see Peter used current events, biblical illustrations, and evidence his audience was familiar with.

But the topic was not abortion, Obama, states rights, or Duck Dynasty. It was Christ, first last and always.

13. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So people who were/are being raised in ungodly homes with ungodly examples don't need to hear what the bible says about finances, relationships, and the other things identified in that series? They just need to open-air preach and get spit on, and all the other things in their lives will fall into place?

14. Jkdbuck76

Jkdbuck76 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Logic and reason. Thanks, Van!