1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Homosexuality and the Holiness Code

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by le bel, Jun 4, 2006.

1. le bel

le bel New Member

I've been hearing a lot about this, with many suggesting God seeing the homosexual act as an abomination that only pretains to Levitical Law.

Some that I have discussed this with equate it with other things found in Leviticus about certain foods one shouldn't eat and other laws. And since we no longer live under the law, then the same would apply to homosexuals. I've seen other churches use this argument as well.

Is it under Levitical Law, or Moral Law?

2. StraightAndNarrow

StraightAndNarrow Active Member

I believe that homosexuality is a sin under God's law. So are a lot of other things like all those mentioned in the Ten Commandments. There is only ONE mortal sin and that's blasphemy of the Holy Spirit. All other sins, including homosexuality, are forgivable but we have to repent of our sin before God.

The difficulty with homosexuality is that it's a lifestyle sin very much like divorse and remarriage. In fact divorse and remarriage is more problematic because there's no clear way to repent of and change the sinful lifestyle. Is the answer to repent of the second marriage and leave your second wife? Hardly since that's a sin. At least homosexuals can decide to go against either their learned behavior or their heretary inclinations, reject their lifestyle and become celibate.

3. James_Newman

James_Newman New Member

1 Corinthians 6:9
    9 Know ye not that the unrighteous shall not inherit the kingdom of God? Be not deceived: neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor abusers of themselves with mankind,

Romans 1:24-32
    24 Wherefore God also gave them up to uncleanness through the lusts of their own hearts, to dishonor their own bodies between themselves:
    25 Who changed the truth of God into a lie, and worshiped and served the creature more than the Creator, who is blessed forever. Amen.
    26 For this cause God gave them up unto vile affections: for even their women did change the natural use into that which is against nature:
    27 And likewise also the men, leaving the natural use of the woman, burned in their lust one toward another; men with men working that which is unseemly, and receiving in themselves that recompense of their error which was meet.
    28 And even as they did not like to retain God in their knowledge, God gave them over to a reprobate mind, to do those things which are not convenient;
    29 Being filled with all unrighteousness, fornication, wickedness, covetousness, maliciousness; full of envy, murder, debate, deceit, malignity; whisperers,
    30 Backbiters, haters of God, despiteful, proud, boasters, inventors of evil things, disobedient to parents,
    31 Without understanding, covenant breakers, without natural affection, implacable, unmerciful:
    32 Who knowing the judgment of God, that they which commit such things are worthy of death, not only do the same, but have pleasure in them that do them.

Any man who will stand in the pulpit and say God is ok with sodomy is not going to be on the Lord's good side at the judgment seat. God will save a homosexual just like he will save a fornicator or a murderer. But sin is still sin, and God still judges it.

4. le bel

le bel New Member

Thanks! A lot of people who are for the lifestyle seem to only point to Leviticus and state there are other things found in it that God forbide as well, like eating shrimp, etc. I can try explaining God's Law vs. Levitical, but some just don't seem to understand.

But it says so in Genesis, God created man and woman which is a valid union under God. So essentially it wasn't until sin entered in did there became sinful behavior and lifestyles.

Then folks throw in the "They're born gay. God created man in his own image, so it must be okay."

And you get accused of being narrow-minded and judgmental. I don't approve of the lifestyle, just as I don't approve of someone "playing house" and fornicating, or polygamous relationships, and the list goes on. It doesn't mean I don't care for the person and wouldn't give them the time of day, completely the opposite.

5. bapmom

bapmom New Member

anytime a professing Christian says "they're born gay, we're made in God's image so it's ok"....remind that person that we were made in God's image BEFORE the Fall. Do these people believe any sin exists? Because you could use this argument for any sin whatsoever. ie. "Im a liar, I was born this way, God made me in His image....so lying is ok."

We are all born as sinners, each of us has varying specific things that tempt us that might not tempt others. We are no longer the "image of God"....we are a Fallen distortion.

6. Tom Bryant

Tom Bryant Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I was not going to respond... I had turned off my computer... But I had to say something.

If I carry out your "reasoning" to it's illogical conclusion, divorce and remarriage is unforgiveable because divorce and remarriage cannot truly be repented of.

7. Mary Diana Lynn Harper

homosexuallity and code?

Read your Bible. God strickly forbid that type of behavior. Remember Sodom and Gomeorah? Gods Law not mans law. Homosexuality is mans law! Remember it is man that sinned in the beginning and still today.

God is the same today as He was yesterday and He will be tomorrow! :type:

8. Bismarck

Bismarck New Member

Solid point.

I have to say this one time.

God be Praised for testosterone.

Leviticus 20:13

I can't believe there is ever argument. You want to hang out with queers? It doesn't make your skin crawl?

God help this world.

For the record, let's say you say I'm "homo-phobic".

So, compared to you, I am homophobic.

Carry that through.

Compared to me, you are homo-philic.

R U ok w/ that? You are a "homo-phile"?

Can I quote you on that?

9. donnA

donnA Active Member

Homosexuality is sin, and we all sin, we are all born with the sin nature. That does not mean we can continue with that sin after we are saved. Being saved does not mean we never sin again, but we do not live praticing the same old sins, thinking nothing is wrong with them, we may sin, but we know it is wrong, we desire to live without sin. Homosexuals who claim to be christian and say theres nothing wrong with homosexuality are living with the daily pratice of sin, calling evil good.

10. Joseph M. Smith

Joseph M. Smith New Member

Natural tendencies and overt decisions are two different things. Just as I may be born heterosexual, that does not require me to act out my sexuality. I choose to do so, within the covenant of marriage, which God honors. But I am not driven or required to act as a sexual being; that is within my freedom. One analogy might be that as we have learned that some people naturally react badly when they consume alcohol, that does not mean that they somehow have to abstain. They choose to abstain because they know it is best.

11. DodgeRamFanatic

DodgeRamFanatic New Member

I'm not trying to knock this topic off track, but what happened to that verse in Proverbs which says, "Wine is a mocker; strong drink is raging, and whosoever is deceived thereby is not wise"?

Back on subject;)--Virginia Molingcote (did I get that right?), who was on the linguistics team for the NIV translation, is said to be a lesbian, and she was the one who was supposed to filter out any "hate talk" against homosexuals as the translation sheets were passed to her. Once when she was interviewed, she said something like this: "Sodom and Gomorrah weren't burnt to the ground because of homosexuality: it was because of the lack of hospitality."

That was so funny; I almost forgot to laugh.
    DRF

12. rbell

rbell Active Member

DRF, most of your info on Virginia Mollenkott is incorrect. During the mid 1960's, in the infancy of the NIV's development, she was consulted briefly with questions pertaining to English style. At the time, she portrayed solid evangelical Christian credentials...she "came out of the closet" over a decade later. Her involvement was on the periphery of the translation, and the committee chair later stated that he would not have used her had he known (and at that time no one did) of her sexual preference. She was not involved in the translational work at all, and offered no input regarding homosexuality. (Source: James R. White, The King James Only Controversy (Bethany House Publishers: Minneapolis, 1995)

There has not been a concerted effort to rid the NIV of condemnation of homosexuality. That's another AV1611.org lie. If their goal was to eradicate God's condemnation of homosexuality, they did a terrible job of it...especially in Romans 1. Seems clear to me.