1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Honest question

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by MorseOp, Jul 3, 2012.

1. MorseOp

MorseOp New Member

I have an honest question for those Calvinists and non-Calvinists who regularly debate their position on this board. Why all the vitriol and personal attacks? Why? I don't want to name names, but it comes from both sides. Why all the "gotcha" lines, as though you just shut up your opponent once and for all when you know full well that they are going to "gotcha" back? Does this sort of behavior glorify God? Is it really contending for the truth or is it a personal ax to grind? Perhaps others have raised this question in the past but I cannot find anything on the topic.

Why?

2. DiamondLady

DiamondLady New Member

Because they can. I find the best defense, for me anyway, is to simply stay away from those threads. There's nothing to be gained there and their feet are firmly planted in the bedrock of their beliefs so there's no swaying their opinions.

3. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Simple answer. Human nature. This is what sinners do.

4. jbh28

jbh28 Active Member

Well the Calvinist do it because they were predestined to do it. They are being forced against their will to be mean. They have no choice. They want to be nice, but can't.

The Arminians are doing it with their own free will. They have a choice and choose to be mean. They want to be mean and do so.

:D

5. kyredneck

kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    IMHO, it's actually therapeutic for a lot of people (mental stimulation and venting).

6. Skandelon

Skandelon <b>Moderator</b>

I think some of it is pride and sin, but some of it is just the nature of the board and written responses. Tone can be read into a post that is not intended and things can get out of hand real quick. Also, some guys can take and give little jabs and jokes better than others. Like Jhb's post above is obviously a joke, but some might take it seriously and rebuttal with a rude comment or something. Its a down side to the written forum. I can get together with my buds and we joke a lot with each other. I'll make fatalistic jokes about decisions my Cal buddys make and they will make jokes about me not owning a bible or something. I know its all in fun. We love each other dearly. Some guys just bond that way. Weird, I know.

If we were all in the same room in real life I doubt we'd have a 10th of the conflicts we have on this forum.

#6 Skandelon, Jul 3, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 3, 2012
  7. kyredneck

kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sensitive people should avoid the debate forums.

8. Skandelon

Skandelon <b>Moderator</b>

True. A blog or Wikipedia might be a better place to gain understanding of this issue if you are very sensitive to disagreement or conflict. Though that shouldn't be an excuse for us to treat each other with blatant disrespect or distain. We could try to do better on that...

9. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Yeah, that too. :laugh:

10. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It is a debate tactic. If your position cannot be defended from scripture, then shift the topic to the flawed character and qualifications of those holding the opposing view. It is a worldly behavior and needless if truth is the goal of discussion.

James chapter 4 suggests we (professing believers) make war on our brothers and sisters in Christ because we are spiritually immature. 1 Corinthians 3:1-3 describes the behavior of newly born Christians who have not left the starting blocks to run the race of service to Christ.

11. just-want-peace

just-want-peace Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    My guess is that it's mostly a matter of pride; not all, but mostly!
    JMHO!!!!

12. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Think that a lot of this would end IF both sides in this debate could agree that we BOTH are saved by same Gospel, same jesus, just disagree on exactly HOW that was accomplished by God!

13. MorseOp

MorseOp New Member

THAT is the point I am driving at. I can handle debate. I can handle my position being criticized. It is all fair game. But when personal attacks become part of the discussion then it becomes a sin issue.

14. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

But christians are not sinners, and sinners are not christians. I debate in the C/A debates, but I am not a sinner, and neither is anyone else who has been saved by God's grace.

#14 convicted1, Jul 3, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 3, 2012
  15. mandym

mandym New Member

So you have currently reached perfection? <-----------Note question mark

16. MorseOp

MorseOp New Member

You are right. 1 John tells that we are in the light and not positionally sinners, although we do sin.

17. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

Nope. We are Christians and not sinners. What I am driving at is this; we have been saved inwardly, but our flesh rears it's ugly head at times, and when it does, our renewed soul, through the working of the Holy Spirit, brings it under subjection.

18. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

:jesus::godisgood::thumbs::applause:

19. mandym

mandym New Member

We are all sinners until the day of our full redemption which has not occurred as of yet. I Peter 1:5

20. MorseOp

MorseOp New Member

OH, NO! A Calvinist and a non-Calvinist agreed on something! It is the end of the space time continuum. We are all doomed! LOL