1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Honest, Studied and Converted free willers?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Dale-c, Jun 10, 2007.

1. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Dale-C:
    What else could you possibly mean when you say "are they truly converted?"
    Dale-C:

Dale-C:
    You are comparing protestant, Baptist believers to Mormons and Muslims because they believe in free will??

Dale-C:
    You are saying that anyone who does not believe in the Calvinists teachings are "natural men"(unsaved).

Yes, you are questioning the salvation of anyone who believes in free will.

2. Humblesmith

Humblesmith Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Again, read Hodge....he has a long section on Will & Calvinism. Then read Shedd, vol. 3.

3. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

I mean I am not questioning a specific persons salvation. I mean that I have a question, a general question and I put that as a possible answer, or one of many possible answers. It will of course vary from person to person as to why they do not believe all that the Bible teaches.

No, I wasn't but they do all have one thing is common, none of them believe in absolute grace.
    What I meant was, to say that you can't question salvation in a general sense by belief in a particular doctrine, then you can't question catholics either.

No, I am NOT sayng that! I am saying that it is POSSIBLE that the REASON that SOME people can read the Bible and still not believe a clear doctrin (any doctrine, not just this one) could be because they are not truly converted and thus can't understand.
    That is but one POSSIBLE explanation.
    ANd it IS a POSSIBLE explanation regardless of the doctrine for why someone would not believe the clear teaching of the Word of God.

4. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

I have heard good things of Hodge, p[perhaps I will read it.

5. npetreley

npetreley New Member

Just curious: When you started seeing how the Bible contradicted your views, did you fight it? I didn't, at least not that I can recall.

6. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

We are saved by Grace "through faith" and it "our faith in God".

"Thy faith hath made thee whole" according to Jesus.

Give your honest statement Dale C, do you believe that the so called "free willers" are all lost? I mean have I been preaching, pastoring, baptizing for over 34 years as a "false prophet", and all those who have been my congregation, are they and I lost?

#46 Brother Bob, Jun 11, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 11, 2007
  7. skypair

skypair Active Member

I could tell you would be confused because you reject foreknowledge. Like the passage I cited in Psa 33, God looked from eternity into future time and did #3 -- chose BELIEVERS.

No, Jesus chose His DISCIPLES, they did not choose Him. John 6:68.

Very good! David was picked for God's purpose, to be King of Israel, NOT to salvation.

Huh?? What is this --- "fractured Bible verses?? Care to offer something a little more concurrent?

skypair

8. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

I didn't really fight it, but I was very timid and did struggle with the fact that there was a lot of pressure from others NOT to believe it. I actually had no problem at all at first.
    I first started learning these things at about 18.
    I think the best way to say it would be that I was afraid of what people would think at first.
    It took a few years to gain the boldness to speak out about what I had learned.

9. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

I do not know you and I do not know your heart.
    I am not authorized to judge your heart.
    I am authorized to judge righteously of your fruit and you are guilty of teaching false doctrine.
    Does that mean you are not a Christian?
    No, it does not. No preacher has ever spoken 100% without error.

Again, if you read my OP, you will see that I believe there are three reasons people disregard plain and simple doctrinal teaching of the Bible.
    Perhaps there is another reason.

Please answer this Bob:
    If there is another reason that you know of why people refuse to believe clear biblical teaching please tell me.

10. npetreley

npetreley New Member

This is a strange argument. What do you think preaching, pastoring and baptizing for 34 years earns you? Excepting yourself, don't you think it's possible for someone to do all that and still be lost? Aren't these the ones crying, "Lord, Lord, look at everything we did in your name!"

11. Plain Old Bill

Plain Old Bill New Member

So only Calvinists go to heaven?:tonofbricks: :BangHead:

12. npetreley

npetreley New Member

I'm not aware of anyone who is saying this, other than the free-willers.

13. Plain Old Bill

Perhaps you should re-read the thread or maybe read it through the first time.By the way that was a question in the form of a statement.

14. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

What is strange is calling my statement strange. If a man give his whole life serving the Lord and then when he is old, some one who don't know why he is the "elect" say that this whole group are wrong because they say "God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son, that Whosoever would believe should not perish but have eternal life. Now to say, God was really saying, "hey folks, I didn't mean that, I meant the precious few I chose myself, before all this even started." Now that is strange!

#54 Brother Bob, Jun 11, 2007
  15. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Question : Does God love those He hates ?

16. Plain Old Bill

Bro. Bob I went to your web site,read your circular letter and listened to you sing a few songs. You have a heart for God. I know you better now and am glad for it.:godisgood:

17. skypair

skypair Active Member

There isn't anyONE He hates, [foul language edited] Are you saying you worship a god of hate?? I know who that is --- it's Satan.

skypair

God hates the foul language and name-calling that you have used. Please avoid it!!

#57 skypair, Jun 11, 2007
  18. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Watch your language Mr. Pilot . If you think that God does not hate anyone you are denying Scripture . Don't tell me after all this time of your interaction on the BB that you have never encountered biblical passages that speak of His hatred of individuals -- not only their sin ?

God is not a God of hate . He is called by the Word a God of love . But please do not fashion him according to your own mold . His attributes are many and varied . His wrath and judgment are just as much Him as His love and mercy .

19. skypair

skypair Active Member

Not possible for Bob --- but maybe for you.

Gotta tell you, npetrely, "election" don't make it unless you are justified/saved first. "Election" is "phase 2 of salvation. Big whoop! The Pharisees tried to sanctify their lost souls with their fleshly works and it just doesn't work that way. You'll soon find that out.

skypair

20. npetreley

npetreley New Member

You're taking the question too personally. I said "excepting you". I'm not talking about you. I simply find your argument strange. Our works count for nothing if they do not have their origin in God. So if the works are not from God, it is not evidence of salvation, no matter how "good" these works may sound.

That's why your argument prompted the question: Is it not possible that someone can preach, pastor, etc., for 30+ years and still be lost? I say it is. That person will be one of those crying, "Lord, Lord, lookie, lookie at all the stuff I did for you!", and that person may be lost. Or, that person may be saved, but his works will be burned up because they were not from God, but from himself.