1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Honest Tax Question

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by raunhawk, Sep 25, 2005.

1. raunhawk

raunhawk New Member

I will be the first to admit that I don't know much about taxes besides the fact that I pay a good chunk.
    Here is my question:
    The Democrats and a few Republicans like to say that if you make over $200,000 you should have your tax cuts repealed. Why? I make less than a quarter of that but I think that if someone has been innovative and successful and is able to make that kind of income, why should they pay more? Are they less equal for being successful. I don't want them to pay less than me, but for politicians to call for them to pay their "fair share" which I think is a higher percentage than what I pay is unfair and unamerican. And also the estate tax. Why? Why should the government have to recieve such a tax. Liberals demand that goverment not be intrusive into peoples lives, but on issues like these they seem to want to be the ones in charge.

2. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

The rich use more services than working people. They use the highways and airports more.

Trucking companies should pay at least ten times more taxes than the railroad or cars. If they were not on the highway there would be little need for heavy roads and repairs.

3. raunhawk

raunhawk New Member

hmmm.....That may be the case in most situations but not all. If that was the Democrats intention that would be one thing, but they openly say they would "roll back" the tax cuts to pay for debt reduction and other issues. And those probably include wealth redistribution. I am still against these "rich" paying higher taxes.

4. raunhawk

raunhawk New Member

I drive for a trucking firm. I agree we should pay a higher tax for that kind of thing. If they wanted to make it fair, they would tax by usage though.

5. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    We have a war in Iraq and a major repair job because of Hurricane Katrina and a lesser one for Hurricane Rita to pay for. We already have a huge yearly budget deficit. We need to actually pay for our spending instead of continually shoving it on to the next generation.

6. kubel

kubel New Member

Why should the rich be punished for being successful?

I have a better suggestion. Bureaucracy reform and federal government shrinkage. It will lower the taxes for the rich and the poor, increase the ability of the American people to spend their own money, and boost the economy. We might also weed out a bit of corruption in the government.

7. raunhawk

raunhawk New Member

Good Point Ken. BUT, is it fair to say that those who have more money should pay more?

8. raunhawk

raunhawk New Member

I think federal government returning to their constitutional responsiblities would save much money.

9. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    As a percentage of their income...yes.

10. raunhawk

raunhawk New Member

hypothetically.........I make 50k and pay 10% and someone else makes 200k and pays 20%. I don't think that is fair?

11. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    That's fine. We simply disagree. I can live with that. [​IMG]

12. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

There was a time when a CEO in a company made about 8 times what the person on the bottom made. Now it is over 500 times. Why should they be able to live in a masion while those who do not have the capital are not able to get so well ahead.

The rich so often are rich on the backs of their parents.

13. ballfan

ballfan New Member

And you also pay Social Security on all your income. A person making 200K doesn't.

14. raunhawk

raunhawk New Member

Oh sorry.....I am not trying to pick a fight or anything, I just have a hard time understanding such things. If we are all equal why I don't see why someone who makes more should pay a high percentage. I understand you disagreement, I was just looking for some answers and opinions and I thank you for yours.

15. raunhawk

raunhawk New Member

and I understand that they are rich off the backs of their parents, but I still wonder why we should intrude on their business and request more. And again I probably sound like I am trying to argue, I am really not.

16. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    raunhawk,

It can be argued that the well-to-do have benefitted more from our economic system and therefore should pay more in taxes because of this.

I don't think our tax rates are anywhere near high enough to be considered confiscatory.

17. raunhawk

raunhawk New Member

This is true, thanx for your honest answers

18. raunhawk

raunhawk New Member

Ballfan, If that is true about the Social Security that is something that bothers me. I guess I didn't know that side of it. I guess I am in just one of those anti-government moods tonight. LOL

19. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

In the past thirty years the taxes for the rich have come way down during a time when the they have gotten richer and shipped jobs out of the country. Doesn't it just make a lot of sense for the rich to get richer at the expense of other countries bringing their money home to the US and be taxed less? They shouldn't be allowed to even claim any exemptions when they sell themsleves out to other countries just so they can line their own pockets. We are the people buying their products made in other countries yet the rich have done nothing to contribute to the economy in America and supporting education and research.

20. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

Raunhawk

I am not asking them to pay more.

When I worked a summer job in 1980, I made the equivelent of about $120,000 today's money.

The working people are no longer able to make the solidly decent living that we used to be able to make.

Instead, the rich have siphoned off the money that used to go to us.

So, I do ask them to continue to pay the taxes on the money that they have taken from employees like me.