1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Hope BB does not shut down due to foolish, ignorant controversies.

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by ituttut, Nov 14, 2006.

1. ituttut

ituttut New Member

The General Baptist Discussions, and the Baptist Theology & Bible Study seem to be geared to foster debate. If debating is forbidden on BB, can BB continue its mission?

If permissible will begin a Sobriety 2 thread shortly if someone doesn't beat me to it (Have to rake leaves after this post), for I have questions to me unanswered, and I am sure others also.

I find debates as we find here to be instructive, as this is how we learn, and teach the Word of God. I see discussion here for the most part as the pros and cons of issue's we find in His Word. If we do not agree in all points, is that cause to "quarrel". If those that see it as just "quarrelling" then to them it is "quarrelling", and they should stop as they see it is not suitable for them to be doing. I see discussing His Word to be fruitful to those who wish to discuss. If they want to "quarrel" I'll still discuss a subject with them. Perhaps it will teach that our "discussions" are not of me against them, but what is the Word telling us. Is the Word right, or do we decide WE are right. From here each of us can stand or fall according to our faith.

In "discussions" over the years I realized I truly did have my own Apostle. Some here know that, but many look to All the Apostles, unable to ferret out the faith each of us reach Holiness. Are we of the "Kingdom Gospel", or of the "Body Gospel"?

I know where I stand and I found this in His Word. Any care to give account of which Gospel they stand in, or does it make any difference? I'll discuss, and if you wish to quarrel, I'll also stand my ground in Him.

2. Baptist Believer

Baptist Believer Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

They are debate forums, but I’m one of those folks who believe that the methods of debate are not the best method of working out our theology as a community. Furthermore, the emphasis on debate places a high value on “winning the argument” instead of winning over the persons who may see things differently, but is still a brother or sister in Christ.

I think discussions are wonderful and godly ways to work through our differences and insights, but when the discussions turn into pronouncements about who is committing “blasphemy” or who is somehow not a true Christian, the discussion turns destructive.

3. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

I agree that the debaters must be given some leeway to argue their point. It may not be pretty sometimes but we learn more from it than just going through here praising everyone. I am here to learn and the only way I can do that is give my opinion and others give theirs and then we debate back and forth all the time studying and looking up meanings until we get an answer. If it gets a little tough so be it as long as it don't go to the point of losing it.
    If it was all "how are you today" I don't think many would stay.

#3 Brother Bob, Nov 14, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 14, 2006
  4. Baptist Believer

Baptist Believer Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Way back in college I heard a chapel speaker talk about the defining Baptist distinctives... He went through a list of what are traditionally known as Baptist distinctives, but then proceeded to give one or more examples of Baptist bodies that did not actually hold those positions. He concluded his sermon/address by pointing out the one Baptist distinctive that all the Baptists groups have held throughout history:

We like to fight. And we not only fight the world, but we generally tear each other apart from time to time.

Unfortunately, I believe the Baptist Board is an expression of that tendency.

5. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

Maybe, all depends on what you hold inside of you. After all is said and done I am ready to shake hands and move on. There was no way I could defend myself in Greek when I started on this board but did a pretty good job lately. I have been made to think deeper about predestination since being on here than my whole life and had to be able to prove my belief which meant I had to do some studying. I agree I have went to bed sometimes very disturbed at some of my brothers but tomorrow is a new day. All depends whether you let it control you or you control it. The greatest teacher in the world outside of the Lord of course, is the bad things that happen to you in life. Someone mentioned, maybe you about winning but it makes you study the scripture and if you don't get it right you get called on it before you get through typing. So, all in all it has been a learning experience for me. Not that I praise everything on here for I don't. Some beliefs I hear on here makes me shudder but guess my belief makes others shudder. You know Benjamin, everyone knows where the hot debates are going on at and they can pass right on by if they don't want in them. I think they are locked sometimes way too quick. peace.

#5 Brother Bob, Nov 14, 2006
  6. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

I wish that the moderators would leave threads open. It seems to me that they are closed due to the moderator's disinterest in a topic, which is wrong. If a moderator doesn't like a subject...don't read it, but please do not shut it down. rsr has one of the quickest trigger fingers here :D

7. bound

bound New Member

Such is the by-product of a passionate love of Jesus Christ and a desire to personally understand and practice faithfully the message He died to deliver to us. I can listen to a fellow Christians position on a subject and offer criticism and go away disagreeing with them. What I find unappealing is appeals to authority which assumes to deny one's liberty in Christ.

Far too many here fail to recognize that we, as Baptists, have by divine right the freedom to enter into a living relationship with the Living God. I find that not only liberating but necessary for a living faith.

It's really quite wonderful and we all should exercise as much respect toward one another as we can muster.

If it be possible, as much as lieth in you, live peaceably with all men. - Romans 12:18

8. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

Well --- if posters would refrain from name calling and doubting one anothers salvation --- and would actually "debate" instead of quoteing one anothers quotes over and over and over ---- and make it appear as if "Boy! I have something here I'd like to share!" and can do it in a loving, Christ-like manner --- and quit posting like a bunch of weenie babies or like a bunch of Jr. High boys in the school's locker room

then by all means, webdog ---- go to it, Son!!!!

But if all folks are gonna do is mock and name call and doubt salvations -- its gonna get shut down!!

Bro. David aka Blackbird

#8 blackbird, Nov 14, 2006
  9. thjplgvp

thjplgvp Member

Did I miss something? Why would the BB consider shutting down? Is there a post somewhere that I missed?

Thjplgvp

10. J. Jump

J. Jump New Member

What's even worse is when the moderators are the ones doing just exactly what you are talking about, and I'm not speaking of you :thumbsup:

11. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

This reminds me of an episode of my favorite show, Andy Griffith. Opey and his friend was paid to play "nice". By the end of the show, they were willing to pay his Dad of they can play like boys...

I guess I'm trying to say Boys will be Boys and it's no fun playing nice...

12. rsr

rsr <b> 7,000 posts club</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have to admit I resemble that remark.

It's a bit difficult to moderate threads if you don't read them - as much as I would dearly love to ignore some of them.

Moderators are supposed to be disinterested. And it also doesn't matter if I am uninterested in a topic; all threads are moderated.

Whether I close threads or not has nothing to do with my position on a topic or my theological beliefs - except I believe that the central tenets of orthodoxy should be upheld and Christian charity should be displayed.

I am always open to suggestions and constructive criticism, as I think all moderators are. When we foul up, let us know - we just might agree with you. Keep those cards and letters coming.

13. ituttut

ituttut New Member

Amen, and nice wording in which you make distinction, and I agree. But when we come down to it in discussion we normally weigh our words, and when finished have "hashed out", or spoke with others about (something), usually in detail. Can we effectively debate ourselves, or discuss alone? You and I are discussing and what I say makes sense, but "technically" on a test you could win the discussion.

To me this discussion is also debating for there could be a winner. It is almost impossible to tell (from my stand point) for within each word we can find the same meaning. We find this in various words such as copulation vs. intercourse.

I do not particularly enjoy debates over words, but in discussing these debatable words, I have found the discussion profitable. I don't see too much difference if we were presently discussing His Word, as I'm sure while discussing, we would really be debating.

14. ituttut

ituttut New Member

You have a habit of saying the right thing, in a graceful way....most of the time. Not too many can do that.

15. pinoybaptist

pinoybaptist Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Four years ago, when I signed up with Baptist Board, my "discussion" manners and techniques were rough and "street-like" without the cusses and the swearin', very confrontational, and sometimes downright insulting to the other side.

I've learned to refine my ways, since then, although old habits do have a hard time dying.

To me, every area of the Board was for debate, and so several times I got "whupped" by John of Japan for posting in fellowship forums. Now, I love JoJ despite our big differences in looking at missions, but when you get those bold letters telling you in no uncertain terms to buzz off this area, you feel much like a kid pushed by another kid in front of other kids who feel compelled to push back because there are other kids around, you know what I mean ?

Anyway, back to the subject.

Thru the years I've seen others make the same mistake as I had, and so learned to be patient with them as well.

However, I have also developed the philosophy that "they all gon' say what they all wan' say, and they all gon' think what they all wan' think, and there ain't nuthin' much anyone can say that'll change what they'll wan' say and what they'll wan' think", and that goes for me, too.

But I hang around because the more I look at the Calvinists' views and the more I look at the Arminians' views, the more I'm convinced that they're both of them, knowingly or unknowingly, and I believe it's the latter, preaching an unfinished, unconsummated salvation that requires some kind of action on the hearer's part in order to progress to a finished salvation.

Now, the fact that I'm only up to 3000 posts in four years' membership hopefully documents the patience and tolerance you all have taught me to acquire, but, have you ever seen a pit bull straining hard at his leash his master is holding so he can't start nippin' at the postman's legs ?

Now, it's cold up here in the Buffalo area, so this groundhog is crawlin' back into his hole, but will leave his hearing aid slightly near the bolt hole.

#15 pinoybaptist, Nov 15, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 15, 2006
  16. ituttut

ituttut New Member

Some of those good people in the Buffalo area are just like some of the good people in the Dallas area.
    We both are living proof of that. You perhaps are further along than I.
    In my younger days I got "whupped" a lot, but still "loved" as I was being taught. Mine is a "flare" temper, gone in a minute. I'd "tussle" but finally submitted to His Word. Haven't been "pinned" since then. Love JoJ before conversing, and afterwards, but don't believe he is too high on my understanding of the gospel of Paul, which most here are not.
    Again, you may be more tolerant than I.
    Youse guy's way up North shore do crack me up when you let your hair down, and join the rest of us. It just don't seem natural.
    You could be getting into what my post was really about. Do you believe the followers of these two are in the "Kingdom Church", or the "Body Church". Of which foundation are they on?
    You have me beat times 2 on posts and almost the same since membership. I don't know if that is good or bad.
    I feel for you. Am I magnanimous or what?

17. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Love you too, brother. But I think it was only once--and you took it like a man and a karate-ka after your first reaction. :tongue3:

18. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hey, wait until we get to Heaven, then we'll all find out when we talk to Paul himself, amen? :tongue3:

I'll tell anyone, though, that you are a graceful (grace-full) debater. :thumbs:

19. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Shortly after I first joined the BB about a year ago, I started a thread called, "What Would You Have Done in 1957?" I questioned a decision by a famous evangelist, and naively thought we would have an actual debate!! :tonofbricks: So I did a lot of research and posted quotes from books written by both sides of the original debate, especially since one opponent (later banned from the BB) was a Ph. D. seminary prof. Silly me! :laugh:

Instead of a debate, I felt like I got tarred and feathered, drawn and quartered, and ridden out of town on a rail! Even the basic historical facts of the case which I stated were attacked as lies! At least that's my memory.

Since then I have formed the following opinion. Anyone who thinks they are actually debating on an Internet forum will be wrong 80-90% of the time! Internet "debating" can be fun and can be instructive, but it can also tear you up and keep you from sleeping at night. So I find myself more and more just keeping to the fellowship threads--except when I see a juicy thread about missions or evangelism. :smilewinkgrin:

20. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

I agree, I wish we could stick to the issue and not the person.

I believe there can be many different views of a passage that are solid and you can't really poke holes in them. Then there are views that are just wrong. I believe we owe it to our fellow Christian to correct that which is wrong and challenge other views that it might be proved by the word.

Unfortunately, many of us see it as my way or the highway.