1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Hope Rides Alone

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by carpro, Apr 21, 2007.

1. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    http://www.canadiancoalition.com/forum/messages/21091.shtml

Hope Rides Alone
    USA Sgt. Eddie Jeffers, USA (Iraq)
    February 1, 2007

EXCERPT

I stare out into the darkness from my post, and I watch the city burn to the ground. I smell the familiar smells, I walk through the familiar rubble, and I look at the frightened faces that watch me pass down the streets of their neighborhoods. My nerves hardly rest; my hands are steady on a device that has been given to me from my government for the purpose of taking the lives of others.

SNIP

And to think, I volunteered for this...

And I am ignorant to the rest of the world...or so I thought.

But even thousands of miles away, in Ramadi, Iraq, the cries and screams and complaints of the ungrateful reach me. In a year, I will be thrust back into society from a life and mentality that doesn't fit your average man. And then, I will be alone. And then, I will walk down the streets of America, and see the yellow ribbon stickers on the cars of the same people who compare our President to Hitler.

I will watch the television and watch the Cindy Sheehans, and the Al Frankens, and the rest of the ignorant sheep of America spout off their mouths about a subject they know nothing about. It is their right, however, and it is a right that is defended by hundreds of thousands of boys and girls scattered across the world, far from home. I use the word boys and girls, because that's what they are. In the Army, the average age of the infantryman is nineteen years old. The average rank of soldiers killed in action is Private First Class.

People like Cindy Sheehan are ignorant. Not just to this war, but to the results of their idiotic ramblings, or at least I hope they are. They don't realize its effects on this war. In this war, there are no Geneva Conventions, no cease fires. Medics and Chaplains are not spared from the enemy's brutality because it's against the rules. I can only imagine the horrors a military Chaplain would experience at the hands of the enemy. The enemy slinks in the shadows and fights a coward’s war against us. It is effective though, as many men and women have died since the start of this war. And the memory of their service to America is tainted by the inconsiderate remarks on our nation's news outlets.

And every day, the enemy changes...only now, the enemy is becoming something new. The enemy is transitioning from the Muslim extremists to Americans. The enemy is becoming the very people whom we defend with our lives. And they do not realize it. But in denouncing our actions, denouncing our leaders, denouncing the war we live and fight, they are isolating the military from society...and they are becoming our enemy.

2. Dragoon68

Dragoon68 Active Member

3. DQuixote

DQuixote New Member

Thanx, Carpro! I needed that!
    :wavey:

4. pinoybaptist

pinoybaptist Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Allow me to post some more of the salient points this letter makes, Carpro:

SOURCE

I wonder if the Hollywood stars with their villas and fancy cars, their publicity managers and their fat checkbooks, I wonder if they can bear to read this, keep on making their money, and then shoot their dirty mouths off ?

Angry letter, is all I can say.

#4 pinoybaptist, Apr 22, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 22, 2007
  5. Terry_Herrington

Terry_Herrington New Member

In spite of this letter, the war in Iraq is a lost cause. I only wonder how many more of our troops will die in vain! It's time to bring our troops home!

6. Dragoon68

Dragoon68 Active Member

Good morning! I see the calendar has now rolled back to somewhere between 1970 and 1973. But, it doesn't have to be this way, friends, if only we will not let those who have given up prevail.

#6 Dragoon68, Apr 22, 2007
  7. Terry_Herrington

Support for this war is waning both in the Congress and among the public itself. To continue to sacrifice needless American lives in order to allow Bush to pawn this war off on the next administration is unconscionable.

It is time for the Congress to do whatever is necessary in order to bring an end to Bush's Blunder, including impeachment if necessary.

You allude to the Vietnam War as an example. I think you are correct that only mounting pressure will cause Bush to finally put an end to this mess.

It is time for the Iraqi government to step up to the plate and take control of their own country.

Thankfully, the opposition to the War in Iraq is growing and will continue to grow until our troops are finally withdrawn from Iraq.

8. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Just like Bush haters wanted.

Terry echoes the words of defeatists and appeasers everywhere.

9. pinoybaptist

pinoybaptist Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thanks to the issue-seeking, issue-hungry "fair-minded" media and people like you in and out of Hollywood.

I wonder about our boys and girls who've gone back to Iraq twice, thrice, maybe even four times. They don't seem to think the sacrifice was needless.
    If I understand it correctly, even ordinary citizens may, through lawyers, initiate impeachment, or at least get the ball rolling in that direction, so why don't you put your money where your mouth is for once and try to see if you can do it, and then do it.

That one I can agree with. And I don't think those on the opposite side of the fence as yours will disagree with that either.

Forgive me, but you sound very much like we did when I was with the underground fighting the dictatorship in my old country. We always said:

The groundswell of the people's anger and determination to fight and defeat the US_Marcos dictatorship continues to grow, and pretty soon the cities will be surrounded from the countryside and the US-Marcos clique will continually be isolated from the rest of the people.

That was thirty-some years ago, the Marcos dictatorship has long gone, and have been replaced with other dictatorships.

I guess my point is: That is your perception, and that is what you say, but you never know what the so-called silent majority is really thinking.

#9 pinoybaptist, Apr 22, 2007
  10. Hope of Glory

Hope of Glory New Member

Someone recently said, "To remain in Iraq will be disastrous; to leave will be far more disastrous" or something along those lines.

Doint the right thing is never easy, and in this case, it has cost the life of soldiers. But, the vast majority of these soldiers thought it was worth it, every single one of them volunteered, and many of them have voluntarily returned to continue in doing the right thing.

There are many Jews who are much better off that the US at one point had the stomach for doing the right thing without giving up.

Now, we want our wars to be over in 20 minutes or less so we can switch over to the next show.

11. Dragoon68

Dragoon68 Active Member

Instead of just giving up we should pray harder that God will lead us to a greater victory for the benefit of all those who desire a more peaceful existence! We should have the faith that victory can be ours instead of giving up to believing that the forces of evil are somehow superior.

That does also includes Iraq continuing to do more for themselves. They have been and are suffering many more losses than we are. They're far from perfect but they are fighting for the same enemies we are.

Instead of Congress doing whatever is necessary to end the war by withdrawal they should do all that is necessary to end the war by the complete defeat of our enemies! They should back up the joint resolution that authored with the necessary continuance. They should abandon their political positioning to align themselves with an easy solution and to bring down their political opposition.

If we leave just because it's difficult - and it is - then this war will go down in history as the USA having suffered yet another "loss" not by its warriors but by its politicians. That will further weaken our nation's future abilities to negotiate peace or fight war. It will again damage the morale of those we send to do our fighting and then label as having fought "illegal" or "unjust" war. How many such wars can we expect our warriors to fight without rebelling? Perhaps that also is a goal of our enemies.

The quitter's course of action just hands the enemy a de facto victory over us and, possibly, a real victory over Iraq in short order. The enemy, in this case, will continue to be supported by external resources from Iran and Syria and elsewhere. They do have resolve for their unjust causes. The world will again know that the way to defeat America is through its own fleeting resolve. The enemies' tools will be the media, the protesters, and our own political in-fighting as well as the senseless use of terroristic violence propagated with little real military might or real tactical success. It will open the door wider to the use of such cheap but highly effective political tactics that can bring down the most powerful of nations.

This war can be won despite what Senator Reid and others have claimed. It can be won despite any wanning popular support shamefully brought about by the weakness of America's own idols of opinion. It can be won by God's power if only we'll seek it and use it. It is time for the people to back up our word with our actions and do whatever is needed instead of clamoring for peace at any cost even selling out our own military sacrifices to a "lost" cause.

12. Terry_Herrington

Well, I’ve never been to Hollywood, nor have I ever worked for the media. I do, however, believe that this war in Iraq was a mistake and should be brought to an end as soon as possible.

The fact that I believe that the war is needless doesn’t have anything to do with the motives and actions of those who actually fight these wars. These men and women have a right to voice their opinion and to enlist, volunteer for service in Iraq, be conscientious objectors or anything else they feel is necessary in order for them to do what they think is right.

There is no need for me to "get involved" since Representative Dennis Kucinich has said that he is going to do this very thing. If this bill to impeach Cheney were to actually have any chance of passing, I would do what I could to see that it was successful.