1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Horton Hears a Political Message

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by Ps104_33, Mar 16, 2008.

1. Ps104_33

Ps104_33 New Member

My wife and I just got back from taking our grandaughter to see the new Dr Suess "Horton Hears a Who". My wife always gets upset with me because she says that I read too much politics into movies that we watch. Now there is no doubt that Hollywood has an agenda that they always manage to weave into their work. And 99% of the time that agenda is leaning left. But in this case I saw an agenda leaning right.
    Horton is an elephant (Jim Carey) who thinks he hears a noise coming from a speck on a flower. He discovers that there is a whole world living on this tiny speck called Whoville. Of course no one believes him and all the other jungle animals think he is nuts. The villian in this film is a kangaroo voiced over by the great Carol Burnett. This kangaroo is a sourpuss who thinks that she is the sheriff of the jungle who conspires with the rest of the animal kingdom to destroy the flower "for the sake of the children" (Hillary Clinton and the Democrats),
    whose minds are being poisoned by Hortons belief that there are tiny little people living on this speck. The message that is repeated throughout the film is that "people are important no matter how small" (abortion). And who is carrying this message? The elephant. (The GOP).
    In Whoville there was a parallel universe with a mayor and a council and all the people in the town. The mayor(Steve Carell) is trying to convince all the townspeople that he has an explanation for the tremors and wierd climatic changes taking place (global warming) because he hears a voice from the sky who is trying to warn him of the evil forces trying to destroy the flower which contains the speck that is their world.
    The mayor of Whoville finally convinces the townspeople of the existence of Horton and Horton finally gets the whovillians to shout loud enough so all the animals in the jungle finally hear them. Horton is a hero and Whoville is saved. I am not one for children's cartoon but I absolutely loved this. It had a good message that we can all take home with us. Or is my wife right that I am reading too much into "Horton Hears a Who"?

2. Magnetic Poles

Magnetic Poles New Member

Yeah, you probably need to get out more often. :wavey:

3. Ps104_33

Ps104_33 New Member

Let's see. I have been a BB member since 9/3/2001 and I have 3,384 posts.
    You have been a BB member since 5/16/2005 and have 5,080 posts.

And you say that I need to get out more?:laugh:

4. Magnetic Poles

Magnetic Poles New Member

No doubt about it, I probably do. :thumbs:

5. Hopeful

Hopeful New Member

All of Dr. Seuss' stories had a "message" in the original book form. Generally-speaking, they were of a much more simplistic nature than what you've expounded here. For instance, I'd say the original Horton story would be a "general" message of valuing life and faith in things you can't see. That'd be about as far as a kid could grasp.

But Hollywood adds their own depth and dimension (or shallowness and their OWN agenda) when they make a movie out of any book, so who KNOWS what the actual intent of the movie might be! It does sound fabulous though, and I'll definitely want to get in there with the younguns I know. Thanks for the "review"!
    :wavey: