1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Hot topics in the church

Discussion in 'Baptist Colleges & Seminaries' started by PrTeacher10, May 4, 2013.

1. preachinjesus

preachinjesus Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

It's curious that your advisor, in a PhD program, would encourage this kind of approach. Granted, I'm for deep research in weighty theological topics for a dissertation.

Perhaps he is attempting to use a current issues topic to pivot into some significant research. As a pastor in a church (and one with a PhD) there are indeed a host of these topics out there.

Some of have been pointed out here and they are good to go with. I'd toss out some more research oriented topics that might give you a broader platform for future work. Stuff like: evaluating the influence of deconstructionist literary theory on contemporary readings of Scripture; racial composition of multi-cultural churches and how they approach ministry; speech-act theory in evangelical arguments for inerrancy; political movements and church-state relationships; etc.

2. Greektim

Greektim Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    What I found most strange is that usually pursuing this kind of degree in this format, you begin with a good idea of what you want to write about ahead of time. For instance, I wouldn't start a European PhD unless I had a good idea of what I wanted to research and already done some preliminary research to see if my goals are achievable and my points valid. If this is how SATS functions, then they just fell down the ladder a few rungs for me.

3. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    The "Family Church"
    How do Single Adults fit into a "family church"

Expanding on that- how long does someone stay in the youth group? Until he gets married?

How soon should a teen become involved in the adult class?

4. Greektim

Faith:
    Baptist
    That sounds more like a DMin dissertation.

5. preachinjesus

Site Supporter

That's, honestly, what I've been thinking about the whole approach.

6. preachinjesus

Site Supporter

I know a couple of guys who have degrees from SATS. From what they've said it is precisely this model. You basically have a totally dissertation oriented degree.

When I entered my PhD programme, I had two ideas for my dissertation work and began carefully working on trajectories of research for both (figuring one would raise up as a clear winner over the other.) In the end, however, I ended up going in a third direction by the middle of my seminars.

Just the way it works sometimes. :)

7. Greektim

Faith:
    Baptist
    I knew it was the European PhD format... but did they have to go in w/ a prospectus about their research??? Or is it like this guy who is asking advice from the board to come up with an idea??????

8. preachinjesus

Site Supporter

I couldn't tell ya. I'm not that acquainted with their system.

There's one guy I recently met who has been accepted to the University of Bristol and part of the application process was that he came with his dissertation proposal sketched out. I think Pretoria functions like this too.

9. Greektim

Faith:
    Baptist
    If and when i finish this ThM (really hard out of the country), I am considering UoPretoria.

10. PrTeacher10

PrTeacher10 New Member

The last thing you need to do is look down on SATS. It is a fine institution with a good reputation.

I had a dissertation proposal related to the Gospel Ordinances and it the draft was passed. I however, felt like it had been done thousands of times and wanted to conduct a research project that is more applicable to those I encounter. Which is why my advisor suggested this approach. He has given me reading materials and has been great in helping me brainstorm.

SATS is a great, helpful seminary. If anyone should be brought down a few steps on the ladder then it is me, because I wanted the change.

I just wanted some opinions of people in the churches today and what they deal with daily.

Blessings

11. Greektim

Faith:
    Baptist
    I hope they improve their rep. Not too many in the states know it well enough to judge. I thought for sure you had to go in w/ a dissertation proposal. So that is good to know. They're back where I had them (if that is any consolation).

12. Gregory Perry Sr.

Gregory Perry Sr. Active Member

A PRIMARY Hot Topic

PrTeacher10...After reading through this entire thread I am actually very surprised that no one has..to my recollection...mentioned the Creationism/Evolution debate as a "hot topic". I did see one mention about young people leaving the church after college which I believe is related to their declining regard and belief in the Authority/Credibility of the Scriptures in matters of history and science. I am a huge adherent of Biblical Creationism and follow regularly the ministries of Ken Ham and Answers in Genesis as well as the excellent works and teaching of the Institute for Creation Research. Bro.Ham has published two excellent books that deal with the Authority of the Scriptures and how a decline in belief in them has led to a decline in the church today. I highly recommend them and the research they highlight. They are "Already Gone" and "Already Compromised" and can be obtained via the bookstore at AiG's Creation Museum.
    I think far more emphasis needs to be placed on this VERY foundational issue. It is a PRIMARY and a FOUNDATIONAL issue because the first 11 Chapters of Genesis form the basis for the reliability (in EVERY respect) for the rest of the Scriptures all the way through Revelation 22:21. That is the point of the YEC Creation Ministries in our day and it is a topic that is NOT being given the proper emphasis in todays churches...either from the pulpit or in our "sunday schools". It is kinda like trying to play pro baseball or pro football without having a firm grasp on the fundamentals of either game. Would YOU buy a ticket to watch that?
    I know I wouldn't.
    In any case...I recommend that topic as it relates to the church and the pulpit. JMHO:thumbs:

Bro.Greg:saint: