1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

House Members Seek Pay Raise of $4,400

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by Ps104_33, Jun 28, 2007.

1. TomVols

TomVols New Member

At the end of the day, isn't the raise a COLA? COLAS don't bother me half as bad as some of the other waste that is part of the congressional package.

2. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Just curious.:confused:

What made you fall off the Romney bandwagon? He was your man before Dr. Paul.

3. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ron Paul is a libertarian philosophically. He has been elected to ten terms in the House as a Republican.

There is a libertarian group among Republicans called the Republican Liberty Caucus - www.rlc.org.

Ron Paul was the 1988 Libertarian Party presidential nominee.

4. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

Kewl-aid!!

A COLA for Congress, is little more than an attempt to circumvent the clear language of the 27th Amendment to the US Constitution, which, BTW, took almost 203 years (passed by Congress, Sept. 25, 1789, and presented to the states; ratified by 3/4 of the states, May 7, 1992) for We, the People, and the States, to get approved as an Amendment, as it was proposed and presented to the States in 1789.

Since a 'sitting Congress' can not raise its own salary, this little minor nuisance of law, is gotten around by with a COLA for Congress. :rolleyes:

I mean, after all, they have to get by on a measly $165,200 a year! :rolleyes: again!

Ed

#24 EdSutton, Jun 30, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 30, 2007
  5. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have been a fan of Ron Paul since the early 1980's. I had no hope at all that he would run in 2008. It came right out of the blue.

6. Ps104_33

Ps104_33 New Member

I was being facetious. Is he ashamed of being labeled a Libertarian? Why doesnt he run as a Libertarian? I thought you were sick of our two party system.

7. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    1) No. In fact, Ron Paul is a still a member of the Libertarian Party as a lifetime member.

2) He did run for president in 1988 as the Libertarian Party presidential nominee. He returned to Congress as a Republican I suppose because it is a lot easier to get elected that way. Plus there is a libertarian segment of the Republican Party(www.rlc.org; Ronald Reagan had huge support from libertarians). Also, Ron Paul thought that when the Republicans gained control of the Congress in 1994 that they were really serious about reducing Leviathan. Unfortunately, he was wrong(along with the rest of we limited, constitutional government types).

3) I am. That's why on Independence Day my Libertarian Party license plate will be attached to the front of my car. But I also enjoy tweaking the nose of the two-party Establishment even though I doubt that Ron Paul will win the GOP 2008 presidential nomination.

8. TomVols

TomVols New Member

Does this pay increase go in effect next fiscal year, or because of 27 have to go in effect in '09 (For the next new congress)?

9. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    1. Congressional pay raise: Voted, 244-181, to affirm an approximately 2.7 percent congressional pay raise scheduled for January 2008 that would increase rank-and-file House and Senate salaries from the current $165,200 to nearly $170,000. The vote occurred without debate during consideration of HR 2829. Senators have yet to vote on their pay raise. A yes vote was to raise congressional pay.

- www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/politics/4933971.html

In this article I also verified that Ron Paul voted against the pay raise.

I think the Congress gets around Amendment XXVII because it is not voting on a new law. The pay raise is scheduled based on a previous law that was passed years ago.

#29 KenH, Jul 1, 2007
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2007
  10. Dan Todd

Dan Todd Active Member

For as much time as they spend in Washington - doing their jobs - $4,400/year seems to be about right - as far as I'm concerned!

Any amount above $4,400 that they take - should cause them to be arrested for "grand" theft!:laugh: