1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

House Votes to 'Suspend' Debt Ceiling

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by InTheLight, Jan 23, 2013.

1. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The House, under the guidance of John Boehner has voted to 'suspend' the debt ceiling for now. Essentially that means that there is no debt ceiling, which I guess, is like a blank check to the Treasury Department. It's also throwing away their most effective bargaining chip--the threat to withhold raising the debt limit unless there are deep cuts in spending. To replace that bargaining chip, Republicans threaten to withhold the pay of the House and Senate from April 15th through May 19th, if necessary.

After vowing to use the debt ceiling issue to force Democrats into making deep spending cuts the Republicans decided that if they pursued this strategy they would be blamed for any resultant stock market decline. So they made up a gimmicky 'solution' whereby they will suspend the debt ceiling until May 19th, whereupon any new spending that the federal government has undertaken will be retroactively automatically funded.

Now the Republicans look to use Sequestration as their next leverage point. Sequestration are the automatic spending cuts that were supposed to occur January 1st, but were kicked down the road to March 1st. Republicans figure they can use the threat of automatic spending cuts to get Democrats to agree to specified spending cuts.

If they let that deadline pass, automatic spending cuts are supposed to be invoked. Somehow I think those automatic cuts will get put off for another 60 days. Then what? Well, there is always the need to pass another stopgap spending bill by March 27th. Republicans could then attempt to use that deadline as leverage to get what they want in spending cuts.

And if that fails then House and Senate members don't get paid for a month. And after that? Well, it looks like the country would be exactly where they are right now--no spending cuts, no budget, and a looming automatic spending cut deadline in the future.

It would be deja vu all over again.

This is called leadership.

2. mont974x4

mont974x4 New Member

Its a failure of leadership that this kind of dealing is even necessary or acceptable. The GOP is just an extension of the Dems.

Meet the new boss, same as the old boss.

3. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

Yup, for all of Gov Wallace's problems he called this one right when he said 'There's not a dime's worth of different between the two major parties.'

Two branches of the Republicrat party

4. InTheLight

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I thought it was telling for the Republicans to vote away their best bargaining chip--not raising the debt ceiling--and replace it with a threat to deny pay to House and Senate members. It's as if they've basically given up. Plus the withholding of pay could be unconstitutional (which is why I suspect Dems went along with it.)

5. mont974x4

mont974x4 New Member

Make that "democrat" party instead since they're both going left of the Constitution.

6. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

Ho hum they all beat the same ole drum. These folks aren't trying to accomplish what we know needs to be accomplished so it's time everybody just stop expecting them to do anything.

Can we get rid of Congress and all their perks? There's a good way to cut some spending.:laugh:

7. righteousdude2

righteousdude2 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Smart Move by GOP!

I see it differently. I believe that the best way to show the citizens of this nation just how out-of-control the Obama Administration is with spending is to let them "Hang themselves!"

This also removes the ammunition [of public sentiment] used to blame the GOP leaders of blocking their president from doing anything to move the country along.

I think this can be useful in 2014 and 2016. A few more years of over spending is not going to make that much a difference, if it results in public opinion changing when it comes to the GOP and their supposedly blocking everything the Dems want to do. This shows them reaching across the aisle, and it should help swing votes back to the GOP in future elections.

Obama is going to get his way, no matter what the GOP does, so why not let him "Shoot hi s own foot?" This wound will not heal....:thumbs:

8. mont974x4

mont974x4 New Member

It won't matter. The GOP will get blamed and Obama will get praised.

9. righteousdude2

righteousdude2 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You May be Correct...

....this could be a huge gamble by the GOP. In fact, if you are correct, it means their approach to reaching across the aisle, or political capitulation, will explode in their faces.

On the other hand, I believe this new spirit of cooperation can implode on Obama. We can only hope and pray this is the result!

And if the GOP fails in this new approach, they can always blame BUSH :laugh::laugh::laugh:

10. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Whenever you suspend anything from the celing, don't count on it not crashing down.

11. InTheLight

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Interesting, not one word about this on Drudge. I even searched for Debt Ceiling Suspended, got nothing.

But such newsworthy items as these make headlines:

Airline hassles man for wearing shirt with 'Princess Bride' quote...

2 Nun Siblings, 96 and 98, Die a Day Apart...

LIMBAUGH: 'We're in midst of designed class and race wars'...

Oregon Bill Would Make Cigarettes PRESCRIPTION-ONLY...

REPORT: All six James Bonds to appear together at Oscars for first ever...

12. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think someone is obsessed with Drudge

13. Robert Snow

Robert Snow New Member

I think someone else is obsessed with Obama.

14. mont974x4

mont974x4 New Member

Then I suggest you get that leg tingle checked out.

15. InTheLight

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Drudge constantly harps on the debt issue, the budget deficit, government spending, etc. But when the Republicans actually put forth an idea on it they fail to report it. I find that interesting.

Wasn't it newsworthy?
    Why didn't they report it? Could it be because the idea is a failure and they know it?

16. preachinjesus

preachinjesus Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Well our "leaders" have once again shown the lack of fortitude and vision it takes to run a country. There isn't a quality leader in that whole district.

Since our leadership has shown that they can neither effectively control themselves or their peers when it comes to spending, this is what they had to do. Now we can watch our debt explode, national credit disappear, and economy slowly head toward the final cliff of oblivion.

Neither major party has any ability to lead or articulate a vision for this country. That is hard to do when you're stuffing your wallets with cash and robbing the treasury of largess. We've become nothing of what our Founders desired.

17. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

Well, since he is our president I think we should be somewhat "obsessed" with him.