1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

House Wife vs. Stay-at-Home-Mom

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Spinach, Mar 8, 2010.

1. donnA

donnA Active Member

I think stay at home parent is just so wrong, completely not biblical, and removing women from their roll as mother and wife, and giving that roll to men, who in order to take someone elses roll bust give up their own, as men and head, provider.

edited to say, I was just thinking, that this is whats most degrading, stay at home parent.
    Unless, he can not fidn a job in todays high unemployment and she already has one, now if theres a job available for him it needs to be him working and her at home with the kids.
    Now if there no at home kids, I don't see why she needs to be home, unless the two of them prefer it that way, as we do, my husband likes me here taking care of him. And I like tkaing care of him.
    I think today, and I've seen this from many women, christian women, that they do not think wife and mother is as serious job as once thought, it's more trival to them now.

#21 donnA, Mar 8, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 8, 2010
  2. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Spinach, your so-called "evolution" is mixed up. The term domestic engineer long predates stay-at-home mom.

3. rbell

rbell Active Member

I think sometimes folks just use titles...not really meaning anything beyond them; it's just the concise way of saying things.

I believe when many use any of these titles, they do so interchangeably--I think that it's a very small number who use them with an "agenda."

4. Spinach

Spinach New Member

I think you're right.

5. donnA

donnA Active Member

I don't really care about the average family's agenda, I do care about roll reversal, avoiding the biblical model of family.

6. rbell

rbell Active Member

What I'm saying is this: I think when folks use some of these terms, they aren't pushing an agenda...they are just using terms for convenience's sake (or brevity's sake).

I think we should be careful about being harsh to them. There's a middle ground--informing people that words & terms mean things--without making them feel as though they're being accused of pushing something anti-biblical.

7. abcgrad94

abcgrad94 Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Amen. Well said, Scarlett O!

8. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

There is no better choice than what is found in Proverbs 31.

Proverbs 31:
    10 An excellent wife, who can find? For her worth is far above jewels. 11 The heart of her husband trusts in her, And he will have no lack of gain. 12 She does him good and not evil All the days of her life. 13 She looks for wool and flax and works with her hands in delight. 14 She is like merchant ships; She brings her food from afar. 15 She rises also while it is still night and gives food to her household and portions to her maidens. 16 She considers a field and buys it; From her earnings she plants a vineyard. 17 She girds herself with strength and makes her arms strong. 18 She senses that her gain is good; Her lamp does not go out at night. 19 She stretches out her hands to the distaff, And her hands grasp the spindle. 20 She extends her hand to the poor, And she stretches out her hands to the needy. 21 She is not afraid of the snow for her household, For all her household are clothed with scarlet. 22 She makes coverings for herself; Her clothing is fine linen and purple. 23 Her husband is known in the gates, When he sits among the elders of the land. 24 She makes linen garments and sells them, And supplies belts to the tradesmen. 25 Strength and dignity are her clothing, And she smiles at the future. 26 She opens her mouth in wisdom, And the teaching of kindness is on her tongue. 27 She looks well to the ways of her household, And does not eat the bread of idleness. 28 Her children rise up and bless her; Her husband also, and he praises her, saying: 29 "Many daughters have done nobly, But you excel them all." 30 Charm is deceitful and beauty is vain, But a woman who fears the Lord, she shall be praised. 31 Give her the product of her hands, And let her works praise her in the gates.

9. abcgrad94

abcgrad94 Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have no problem with the term "stay at home parent."

My cousin was a stay home dad. He did the cooking and cleaning and caring for his child while his wife went to work. That doesn't make him a sissy or unqualified to be the head of his household.

10. Spinach

Spinach New Member

Apparently I'm not being clear.

Stay-at-home-parent is being used today for either parent. I'm not bringing up stay-at-home-Dads. I'm specifically talking about a woman who drops the "Mom" title for the "Parent" title to remove any referrence to gender.

11. Spinach

Spinach New Member

Does it predate housewife?

12. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Domestic engineer dates from about a century ago; stay-at-home mom, no more than a few decades.
    Housewife, like lady of the house, etc. has a longer history in English; it was originally huswif, from which also derived hussif (hussy).

13. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Is a man calling his wife his "spouse" OK?