1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

How ‘Christian’ is your typical week?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Alcott, Oct 4, 2007.

?
  1. Attend church once or more

37 vote(s)
    97.4%
  2. Give 5% or more of my gross income to my church

28 vote(s)
    73.7%
  3. Have prayer before my meals at least once daily

29 vote(s)
    76.3%
  4. Make at least one visit or phone call to a ‘prospect’ or an absent member of my church

6 vote(s)
    15.8%
  5. Read a portion of the Bible

36 vote(s)
    94.7%
  6. Read some of a Christian book or periodical

31 vote(s)
    81.6%
  7. Make contact with a peer group that studies the Bible and shares prayers and praises

22 vote(s)
    57.9%
  8. Have at least one confrontational meeting with a nonbeliever concerning the gospel

6 vote(s)
    15.8%
  9. Give direct help to someone who needs food, clothing, shelter, or healthcare

11 vote(s)
    28.9%
  10. I should not answer this poll, as I do these things by profession; or for another reason

2 vote(s)
    5.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    As other threads have discussed what a Christian must do, or can or can't do, what are typical Baptist positions, how we should dress, when we should pray, et al, this is a poll about some of these positive (by preponderance of choices) things and whether we do them in a typical week. If you think your answer might skew the results on account of being a minister or social worker, or some other reason, the last option states this and is for you. A converse poll about the negative things we do in a typical week will soon follow (unless I croak or can't use my hands).

2. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

I appreciate the thought here Alcott, and I see your point about being positive.

However, should not our week be 100% Christian? I should be a testimony in everything I do. I don't think a week's "Christianness" can be measured by what I do or don't do. "Whether therefore you eat or drink, or whatever you do, do all to the glory of God."

It is not less Christian to work a full eight hour day at MacDonalds than it is to have a confrontational witness to at least one person a week if my purpose and attitude in so doing is to glorify God.

In my mind we have put far too much importance on the division between secular and sacred already.

Are these things not also Christian?

I gave my boss the full 40 hours I was paid for
    I spent time with my family
    I had lunch with a co-worker just to be his friend

#2 NaasPreacher (C4K), Oct 5, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 5, 2007
  3. Janet1983

Janet1983 New Member

That was easy... I go to the chapel on Sunday and attend PWOC (morning and evening study)... that way I come to most of the things automatically...
    :godisgood:

4. following-Him

following-Him Active Member

As Christians I would like to think that most of the poll options would come to us naturally. Sadly I can't claim 100% perfection. :(

Blessings

following-Him

5. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I know most people don't like to have a question answered with something like "Yes-- and No", but sometimes it does fit. It's certainly true that if you skip any of these things, even habitually, that it doesn't mean you're not 'Christian' (adj.) as you go about your routine, and that you can continually see your 'routine' as being a means to a greater end. But on the other hand, there is no "testimony" that I see from going to work, doing your shopping, paying your bills, et al et al, even in trying to be honest and diligent as you go about it, since non-Christians can be just as forthright in these ways. I'm not looking the passage up, but I remember one modern translation (perhaps paraphrase) renders a part of one of Paul's epistles as: "Do your work; never let it be said that Christ's people are poor workers." That's positive, of course, but it doesn't have any testimonial meaning unless it's known that the worker is one of 'Christ's people,' and it won't be found out only from being a diligent worker.

6. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Why?

==Why does it have to be "confrontational"? Sure, some are. However many such "meetings" are not "confrontational". Nor should we attempt to make them "confrontational" (1Pet 3:15).

7. Janet1983

Janet1983 New Member

Well... that one was one of my no's, but I think it means this:
    Confront somebody with Christ.
    You do not have to be agressive or start debating. Maybe just an invitation for Sunday (church) with a meal afterwards and a nice walk in the woods (if you got any).
    That'll work I think.

8. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

Of course there comes a time when the gospel must be shared in a verbal way, but I disagree that there in no testimony in going to work. In fact, since most folks spend 40+ hours a week there it is a key place for testimony. I am a church planting pastor, my office is at home, but I work in a school on one day a week. My Christian testimony when I eat meals with the rest of the staff and in the way I deal with people has been the only way to open doors.

I heartily believe that everything I do must be "Christian" or the things you talk about are meaningless.

Thanks again for the spirit in which you posted the question and response.

#8 NaasPreacher (C4K), Oct 5, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 7, 2007
  9. Alex Quackenbush

Alex Quackenbush New Member

Christ redeemed 100% of my life. My life is 100% Christian.

10. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Quack, I'm not convinced that that's even possible in its most literal sense, because 100% obviously means absolutely everything and every second. So claiming your life is "100% Christian" is saying that you are absolutely perfect-- or if you're not, that being "100% Christian" allows for imperfection, which contradicts its meaning. And furthermore-- or maybe just said in a different way-- it's saying you either absolutely never sin or else the Holy Spirit inhabits even your sins, which would defy much NT scripture, as in Romans and Jude, where the contention is answered that we can sin and not concern ourselves with it and still be saved, because we are 100% Christian now matter how much we sin; which virtually eliminates any meaning to choosing our master.

11. Alex Quackenbush

Who said PERFECT other than you? It wasn't even implied. All these conclusions you are making haven't even been implied by me.

As for me being 100% Christian...I am either a believer or I am not. In the case of salvation there are only two options.

12. charles_creech78

charles_creech78 New Member

Col 4:2 Continue in prayer, and watch in the same with thanksgiving; Col 4:3 Withal praying also for us, that God would open unto us a door of utterance, to speak the mystery of Christ, for which I am also in bonds: Col 4:4 That I may make it manifest, as I ought to speak. Col 4:5 Walk in wisdom toward them that are without, redeeming the time Col 4:6 Let your speech be alway with grace, seasoned with salt, that ye may know how ye ought to answer every man. 1pe 4:11 If any man speak, let him speak as the oracles of God; if any man minister, let him do it as of the ability which God giveth: that God in all things may be glorified through Jesus Christ, to whom be praise and dominion for ever and ever. Amen. 1pe 4:7 But the end of all things is at hand: be ye therefore sober, and watch unto PRAYER.

13. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    100% does not imply perfect? How many agree with that?

14. Allan

Allan Active Member

I don't.
    I'm 100% Christ's but I'm not perfect.

I am justified, am being sanctified, and will be glorified because I am of Christ.
    I am 100% His, IN SPITE OF my imperfections.

15. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So Christ doesn't demand perfection, even though he said "You are to be perfect, as your father in heaven...."? But if he will settle for less than that, then those guys that Jude cracked are right-- that it doesn't matter what we do as long we believe.

Anyway, I was right in the OP when I said many would prefer to make an argument out of the words instead of just check off or describe what they do uniquely as to furthering the gospel of Christ in a typical week.

Correction: It was another thread in which I said that in the OP, but the principle does apply.

#15 Alcott, Oct 8, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 8, 2007
  16. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

It's called hyperbole. I agree with Allan. I'm in Christ who is 100% perfect without being perfect myself.

17. Alex Quackenbush

God redeems sinners. I sin and I am 100% Christian. That is the nature of redemption.

18. JerryL

JerryL New Member

Right. Paul didn't say he WAS he said AM

1Ti 1:15 This is a faithful saying, and worthy of all acceptation, that Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners; of whom I am chief.

19. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Then when Romans says you can choose your master, Christ, or sin, you can choose both? Or is it 2/3 Christ, 1/3 sin? or 95% Christ, 5% sin...or what?

20. Alex Quackenbush

Please quote the specific verse and I am happy to respond.