1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

How about these football rules?

Discussion in 'Sports Forum' started by Salty, Dec 11, 2006.

1. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Field goals: 1 point for each 10 yards. ie the ball is on the 41 yard line, that would give the team 4 points, the ball on the 29 yard line would = 2 points.

Kickoff would be on the ten yard line. If the ball is caught in the end zone, it would be spotted there. As long as the team make forward progess, there would be no safety.

A team would be allowed 5 5th downs per game (max 3 per half). So a team has 4th down and 1 yard to go.... if they dont make it, then they can use the "5th" down to punt. If, they get a first down, then they dont use that "5th" down.

So what do you think?

Any other good rules to consider?

Coach Salty

2. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

I would like to see more incentive to go for it on 4th down. An extra point beyond 50 yards would be good.

I don't know about the rest of these. I don't like the tight rules protecting the quarterback. I forget who it was that was clearly in the grasp which made the lineman stop then he ran for yardage. If they want to do that let's go back to old school where the linemen got their reward for getting to the QB...

3. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

No need to change any of these rules. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. :thumbsup:

4. StefanM

StefanM Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The only rule I really would like to change is in the NCAA. I think that pass interference should be a spot-penalty like in the NFL--15 yards is way too little. It creates the incentive to interfere on long passes. If the QB has an open receiver 40 yards away with nothing but the goal ahead...why not just push the WR down...you only lose 15 yards instead of 6 points.

This rule is stupid, IMO.

5. TomVols

TomVols New Member

I don't like these proposed changes.

One I'd like to see changed is the new clock rules (NCAA). Starting the clock on the "ready for play" whistle is ridiculous and has affected some outcomes. I have little problem starting it on the kickoff.

I'd like to see the "hand to the helmet" rule clarified. If a DL is going to block a pass and accidentally hits a helmet, that shouldn't be a flag (I know...sour grapes...that call potentially "cost" the Vols a win against Florida) :)

6. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

I would like to see some of the recent rule implemented taken away first before new ones added.

defensive players having to avoid falling on the quarterback during a sack to avoid a personal foul by "turning with the fall". Stupid.

receivers having to make a "football move"...whatever that is...in order for a reception to count

tuck rule...or at least it's interpretation. Tom Brady clearly fumbled against Oakland.

7. TomVols

TomVols New Member

Well, I think there ought to be a football move...whatever it is....or else you have a Jabar Gaffney "catch" (Florida receiver vs Tennessee in 2000). The tuck rule is well intentioned. I see the point. However, it's hard to apply, much like the "football move." And I agree with your rule about QBs. I'm not for seeing these guys sawn in half, but geez, the only thing NFL and NCAA rules don't do to protect them is put them in plastic bubble wrap. (Uhoh-I just gave them an idea) :laugh:

8. go2church

go2church Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    How about an 80 yard by 40 yard field, 15 yards for a first down, 4 points for a field goal, 2 points for a kicked extra point, 1 if you run/ pass it in and everyone is eligible to catch a pass?

9. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

It barely works in the CFL...

10. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Why can't a catch be ball in both hands and two feet planted as was always the case? This "football move" thing can be diving over the pile to striking a Heisman pose :D If you do a little head shimmy like you are trying to duke a DB without control of the ball, would that be considered a catch while making a "football move"?