1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured How Bad is Wikipedia on the Bible?

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by John of Japan, Jun 30, 2015.

1. rsr

rsr <b> 7,000 posts club</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    I generally agreement with JoJ on this one. Wikipedia's greatest value is it citation of sources, which can be a fertile ground for research. The articles themselves should not be relied upon, although they may raise points that need to be studied.

Several years ago I ran across an article on Primitive Baptists in which Westboro Baptist Church was presented as an exemplar of the Primitives. I attempted to edit the article to point out that most Primitives (at least the ones I know) were appalled by Westboro and did not consider that church to have anything to do with Primitives. My contributions were repeatedly deleted, of course, and I finally gave up.

2. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That is an excellent illustration of the Achilles heel of Wikipedia. Often it is majority opinion that rules rather than factual information.

3. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Years ago the "Dead Sea Scrolls" were discovered. A man or small group of men were put in charge and access was denied to everyone else. After several years (in which very limited progress had been made) folks who had photocopies of the scrolls published them. Then all sorts of smart people starting working on them.

Widespread dissemination of primary sources is the way to go. Light those candles....

4. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Wiki is unreliable. If they are being used as a source for the purpose of discussion on the subject that is one thing. If they are being used as a source to say "see this is proof of what I am saying therefore I am right" then such use of them is not credible.

5. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This is how I see it as well.

Wikipedia is a great place to find footnoted references which one can use as a jumping off point for real research into the subject matter.

6. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Wikipedia was charged with calling certain documents "manuscripts" rather than "texts." But was a source cited? What if the meaning was general, i.e. any document written before the printing press? Any hand written document.

Beware of those who find or say they find, some nit or error, and use it to dismiss the entire work or view. No work of man is perfect, especially if alternate definitions are imposed.

7. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  8. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

Not a biblical expert, but I am a researcher and I often look at wikipedia for generalities on a topic. I do work with children, however, and I've found it's better to show them how to glean any good out of a mediocre and prolific resource than to leave them to their own resources.

9. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So it is after all better to light a candle.... Thanks

10. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Something odd is going on with Wikipedia. For some days now, I haven't been able to access it from either Google Chrome or Internet Explorer. I get an error message:

en.wikipedia.org normally uses encryption to protect your information. When Chrome tried to connect to en.wikipedia.org this time, the website sent back unusual and incorrect credentials. Either an attacker is trying to pretend to be en.wikipedia.org, or a Wi-Fi sign-in screen has interrupted the connection. Your information is still secure because Chrome stopped the connection before any data was exchanged.

You cannot visit en.wikipedia.org right now because the website uses HSTS. Network errors and attacks are usually temporary, so this page will probably work later.

Are they punishing me for this thread? Horrors! :laugh:

11. McCree79

McCree79 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I can access it with Chrome just fine. Clearly they have read this thread and are denying you secure access :)

12. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Perhaps. I am not able to access many websites --but Wikipedia? No problemo.

I've never had a problem with Wikipedia. It's a wonderful resource when used with discernment.

Tell me, do you have any objections to their pages on John R.Rice, Japan or Tennessee Temple?

As I said, I look mainly at bios, history, science and inventions.

13. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Don't know about the Japan or Temple pages since I can't access them right now. The John R. Rice page is okay I suppose. (I'm pretty sure my brother wrote it, and as far as I can tell no one has "corrected" it.) :smilewinkgrin:

14. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I just came from an English faculty meeting where how to grade research papers and what our policies should be were the subjects. All agreed that Wikipedia should never be cited in a paper, but it can give a direction for research when one looks at the sources.

15. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    What about Theopedia then?

Would say that it is a good starting point to do researching, but jusy ise it to point you to soem real scholarship!

16. JohnDeereFan

JohnDeereFan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    John, I left teaching just as Wikipedia was becoming an issue.

The first class was always the "Why do we study history" speech.

The second class was always about the difference between primary and secondary sources, research.

The only redeeming value I find in Wikipedia is the little outline they have at the top (and even that's just for inspiration, not to actually use as your outline) and the Bibliography and sources at the bottom.

For informal things, like when I want to look up information on a song or artist for my show, (should be "wanted", I guess, since I'm not doing the show right now), it's fine. But for academic research, no.

17. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That is how we seem to all see it here, in that it is good to point us towards much better sources for academic researching, but should not be used exclusively as being "gospel"

18. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Don't know anything about Theopedia. I'll have to check into it.

19. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Good comments. Thank you. :wavey: