1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

How big is too big?

Discussion in '2004 Archive' started by untangled, Sep 26, 2004.

1. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    You MIGHT be in a mega-church if . . .

~ You have to ride a shuttle bus from the far end of the parking lot, or from an off-site overflow parking lot to get to the main building for a worship service

~ You stand in line waiting for the previous service to end and when it does, you feel as if you are swimming upstream

~ You have attended the same church, at the same time each weekend, for the past month and have not heard the same preacher twice

~ You wonder why there are hymn books in the pew rack that are never used

~ Baptisms take place any time of the week in the atrium water feature

~ You can meet with a leader of the church in the atrium coffee shop

~ There is a 400-seat prayer chapel besides the 2000+ seat main sanctuary

~ You have to speak with a pastor through the appropriate administrative assistant after getting past a receptionist

~ The staff are required to wear picture ID tags

(Copyright 2004 Charlotte Riegel. Permission is granted to send this to others, but not for commercial purposes.)

2. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

How does your congregation compare to those who were saved in the book of Acts? I would say get busy and start discipling people or you will soon find you have nobody to disciple because they will go elsewhere or still remain babies.

3. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Actually in one of the formal definitions of the English word luck there is no direct violation to the sovereignty of God:

Main Entry: luck
    1a: force that brings good fortune or adversity
    1b: the events or circumstances that operate for or against an individual
    2 : favoring chance;
    Merriam-Webster Dictionary

Apart of course from not giving God the credit for the "events" of 1b above but then again neither do the vast majority of our English words concerning future events.

The offensive term not having to do with "luck" at all but the unknown outcome of the contents of the "pots" which are brought in for consumption.

To go strictly by the letter of the dictionary we should not even use terms such as "fortunately" or "fortunate" and several other like phrases.

How about a "potperadventure" dinner to use a biblically oriented word?

Proverbs 16:33 The lot is cast into the lap; but the whole disposing thereof is of the LORD.

Or maybe a Proverbs 16:33 dinner?

HankD

4. pinoybaptist

pinoybaptist Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    With ya all the way, saggy !

Might I add, it is what you preach, not how, too.

5. untangled

untangled Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    How does your congregation compare to those who were saved in the book of Acts? I would say get busy and start discipling people or you will soon find you have nobody to disciple because they will go elsewhere or still remain babies. </font>[/QUOTE]GB,

It is no longer my church. I do not go there anymore because of doctrinal issues (its not even Baptist). Anyway, I am afraid that alot of them will not truly be discipled. However, some are discipled. I have found alot of people went there because of friends or because they feel less intimidated by a bigger church where they can blend in.

Just a side note to everyone.... I am not saying that a big church is better than a small church I just wanted to put the issue on the table. It's a common complaint I hear... God Bless!

6. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

There are always ways to get smaller. One is intentionally starting a new church with a number of the members.

7. untangled

untangled Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    GB,

I know of a couple of churches that were intentional plants. THere is one in Goldsboro that was started by a larger Baptist church there. They put it on the other side of town and it started with about thirty members in 97 and now has over one hundred active members. Which I guess is a good growth rate. They usually have more in attendance but out of 150 listed members it has 100 that are 100% active.

In Christ,

Brooks