1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured How Come the N/E is so post Christian

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by Earth Wind and Fire, Nov 9, 2014.

1. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

15-20 minutes is your limit? No wonder you are having issues. I can't even get to a large store within 15-20 minutes from my house - and we're in suburbia!

2. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You are not trustworthy. I will not take your word for it. Your past history on the BB works against you.

You are delving into the pits again.

Listen to the words of Dr. Bob :

"I truly dislike the hate speech and lies about Calvin."

"Calvin did not murder anyone. And I will not tolerate lies by 'haters' here." (4/25/2006)
    You are not omniscient. You have no exhaustive knowledge of every denomination and all the churches within. It is unadulterated bunkum.

You are extrapolating from your personal fallible experience in one limited area and making wild assertions about all denominations. Sorry, that won't wash. You don't know what you are talking about. Evidence is needed --not your personal anecdotes.

3. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I did not say 15-20 Minutes was my limit ....it was you who mentioned it....your exact words were "easily direct them to a church within 15-20 miles of their home"

But then you lead me to ask how much does community enter into the equation?

If an area is void of any good church, what is the responsibility to "The Church" to plant something?

4. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Most churches around these parts have indeed become entertainment! They are entertainment factories. Or else they are such closed societies that they forgot the requirement to go out to others. so tell me where is the bride of Christ in these places?

5. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

15-20 miles is quite different than 15-20 minutes. Our home church is 4 miles away and it takes 12 minutes to get there. Our church campus is 25 miles away from home and take about 35 minutes to get to.

I do think that if a church is growing and has the ability to do so, planting a church in a less reached community is a great idea (and hence, why we're doing what we're doing). In the school district we are ministering in, there are very few evangelical churches so we chose that area for that purpose. But it's not impossible to find a church within a comfortable driving distance in most communities.

6. robt.k.fall

robt.k.fall Member

Hyper Calvinism is a red herring for the topic of this thread. To many in the Fundamentalist camp, the mainline denomination (UCC, UP, UM ect.) went into apostasy before WW2.

In New England's case, the apostasy grew out of the Half Way Covenant of the Congregationalist state\colony established churches.

7. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    yea.....well, I havent found that to be true. My brother would also concur with me since he is an IFB pastor ....he tells me he cant find any nourishment in any community around our town & thats why he drives 45 minutes to an hour to get to his church. I think differently...I think that that type of commute makes it pretty difficult to have an ongoing relationship with a church. Im not going to drive an additional 45-1 hour after Ive driven 2 hours each way to get into work. It just isnt community. And my brother agrees, he himself has been to these local churches & its his contention that they dont feed anyone.

I have gone on record as saying that I would prefer a local church only to find out the hard way they dont follow doctrine, or they wont allow me in due to my doctrinal views, or they attempt to change my POV on scripture or they are changing to a charismatic church or whatever. Very flighty.

Ive even gone to my brother & asked him if he would set up something locally, but he was so burned by bad ministry that he steadfastly refuses. So what do I do....concede defeat and drive for 1 hr each week ....also go to a church I do not totally agree with or like that is out of my area....an area that I grew up in & moved back to cause my people are there & my history is there?

8. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    1) is there even one other person to fellowship with? If so, at least have a Bible Study - does not necessarily need to be a formal worship service.

2) Contact a mission agcy and request a home missionary come and organize a local church.

9. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The bible study isnt a problem....there are BS's everywhere.....but that again should not be instead of church worship, right?

oh & I have contacted at least two ....one outright refused to do it because lack of funding & the other set conditions (like conditions in headcount etc)

10. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    BTW Salty....dont you have something to do with planting churches for the SB's outa NY State?