1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

How Dare You....

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by ktn4eg, Mar 14, 2007.

1. amity

amity New Member

We don't see a scriptural support for it. What I see going on with missionism as it is practiced also tells me it is wrong. If God places a burden on me to go to the ends of the earth, I trust I will go.

2. bapmom

bapmom New Member

amity,

I know we are getting kind of away from the OP, but I am honestly curious about this. I can give you Scriptural support for financially supporting your pastor(s). It's the passages in the OT about not muzzling the ox that treads out the corn - also used in the NT by Paul when he considers the fact that he would have been perfectly within his rights to be supported financially by the churches he was ministering to. OTOH, if your church has a pastor who needs no support, as you do amity, than I certainly understand not giving him a full salary.

BUT, there definitely is scriptural support for salaried pastoral staffs.

However, what I really want to ask you about is what you mean by how missions are done today and what makes you think it is wrong. For one thing missions is done many different ways these days. So we can't really say that "it's done wrong" is a valid reason for not supporting any missionaries. I just want to find out what you mean..........

3. pinoybaptist

pinoybaptist Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Just a quick question, annsni, and no disrespect or animosity meant here.
    But, what is going to happen if a church does not go on "missions" ?
    Will that stop the salvation of God's people ?
    Is the salvation of God's people dependent on churches sending out missionaries ?

4. amity

amity New Member

Note I said we DO give our pastor money, not a a regular salary, though. There is no "right" to a salary. The problem with missions is institutionalism.

5. bapmom

bapmom New Member

Romans 10:14-15
    How then shall they call on him in whom they have not believed? and how shall they believe in him of whom they have not heard? and how shall they hear without a preacher?
    And how shall they preach, except they be sent? as it is written, How beautiful are the feet of them that preach the gospel of peace, and bring glad tidings of good things!

:godisgood:

#25 bapmom, Mar 15, 2007
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2007
  6. bapmom

bapmom New Member

double post!

#26 bapmom, Mar 15, 2007
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2007
  7. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

The church will be in disobedience to Christ's direct command

"Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, teaching them to observe all that I have commanded you. " Matthew 28:19-20

8. bapmom

bapmom New Member

no, I know you said you give your pastor some money. I have no problem with the way your church in particular is doing your own business.....each local church is different and independent. The only thing is that I was saying its not wrong for other churches to give their pastors a full salary.

What do you mean by institutionalism? Maybe we should start a new thread and hash it out? (said kindly, I appreciate your willingness to talk and not get upset) :)

9. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

I always thought that was a command to the apostles, not the church.

Oh boy, I might be in trouble for saying that!:laugh:

10. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

None of the Bible was written to us today. Does that mean we apply none of its commands?

11. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

I knew I was in trouble!:laugh:

Actually, Paul's writings were written specifically for the NT church (us).

12. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Let me ask this - does God use His people to spread His Word? As Baptmom posted, how are they to hear if no one tells them?? Who will tell them??? When one of our members feels called to go and preach the Gospel to another nation, we support them so that they can spend their time in ministry and not having to worry about supporting themselves - until such time as their ministry is self-supporting (if it never does, we continue to support them). That is how the majority of our missions works. We don't do "mission boards" or anything like that. The missionaries don't need to come back to the states for more support - they have their support there for them already. I think that's the way to do it, personally.

13. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

I'm not saying we shouldn't do mission work, I was just asking if that command was to the church or the apostles.

Please do not be angry with me.:)

14. bapmom

bapmom New Member

well, the apostles were not the only ones there when Jesus said this. He was speaking to His disciples, the larger group of people who were His followers. It applies equally to anyone who is a follower of Christ.

If He only said it to the Apostles, and we then took it to mean it was only expected of the Apostles, than no one BUT the Apostles would have been required to spread the gospel. The gospel witness would have died out long ago if that were true, since the Apostles were all dead by the end of the 1st century.

15. amity

amity New Member

I mean having man-made institutions added into the scriptural model.

There are a lot of different ways that can happen. Mission boards are only one example. Sunday schools. Incorporation. I am told that practically every church today is incorporated. These trends make a church into a bureaucracy, a business.

BTW, I tend to be suspicious of hirelings because they care not for the sheep. The ministry becomes a career.

Edit to say: Sometimes I think the part of my brain that censors what I say is broken. But there it is, I said it, and that is what I truly think, so I guess I will leave it. I think if a church is so big and so complex in its dealings that a minister becomes a administrator, that is too bad. A church should not become a business in any sense of the word.

#35 amity, Mar 15, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2007
  16. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I don't agree at all that those hired don't care for the sheep. I've not seen that at all! Our church has a staff of 45 right now - and every one of those people were hired because they were already doing the job that they were hired into - even the secretaries!! I was hired on to do the media stuff - a job I was already doing. My DH was already leading worship, teaching and running the college ministry - and so he was brought on staff as a pastoral intern, then eventually was ordained and brought on staff full time. Their job IS the Lord's work - NOT just earning money or anything like that.

17. bapmom

bapmom New Member

well amity,

there are hundreds if not thousands of missionaries on the field today who do not use any sort of mission board at all. Also, some of the mission boards out there only serve as a help to the missionary rather than an authority over him. The mission board we are going with works along this model. We don't really like the idea of a mission board being over the missionary either, as we believe his authority ought to be God and he should be overseen by his local church, if any one.

mission boards like this are really a huge help in things like organizing financial support and paperwork. I understand the angst against it, but paperwork and such is a necessary hassle that we just have to live with in our day and age. Im talking about paperwork like visas, passports, certs of eligibility to enter a foreign country.....I could go on and on.....I know, I already have! :)

18. amity

amity New Member

deletedeletedelete

#38 amity, Mar 15, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2007
  19. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

Passports, no problem.

Entry visas. Residence visas. Taxes in two different countries. Health insurance. How to get funds from one country to another. Yeah, a missions board is a big help to a missionary.

There are a FEW missions boards (I speak from an IFB perspective here) that operate on the theory that they have authority over the missionary. The majority do not.

I doubt that there are 'thousands' of missionaries operating independently. Hundreds possibly. But I have seen many of them come.... and go. and IF they return again, they generally do so under a board. Never seen a board missionary leave and return independently though.

(Sorry if this is too far outside the OP.)

Mexdeaf, a missionary in Mexico

20. amity

amity New Member

You know, my earlier answer was based on a mis-reading of the post. I do not support missionism attached to a church in any way, shape, form, or fashion. I will try to delete the post if I still can.