1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured How Did Romans 10:13 Turn Into 'The Sinners Prayer?'

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by preacher4truth, Aug 31, 2013.

1. Winman

Winman Active Member

Exactly, you must believe that you are a sinner and believe Jesus is the Son of God who died for your sins and rose from the dead before you will call upon him.

If you believe Jesus was just a normal man who died 2000 years ago, you are not going to pray to him, nobody prays to a dead person (well, most people do not).

The prayer is simply evidence of the faith already present in the heart.

The Lord is not going to reject you for doing what he commanded. If Jesus says, "come to me" (which he does), then he is not going to reject you for coming to him for salvation in the only way you can, which is prayer.

2. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

I identify with your experience. I had heard many sermons, a lot of them about Hell, but never really gave them much thought until the Holy Spirit brought me under conviction. All of a sudden Hell seemed very real to me, and it scared me to death. Down the aisle I went.

I don't mind suggesting to someone who's under conviction that they simply ask God to save them. But beyond that, I can't help them. If they need help with the words, then I have not done a very good job of witnessing to them. At some point, I'm out of the picture and it's between him and God.

And you're right. If they're reluctant to pray for salvation, then back off. When the Holy Spirit brings them under conviction, and illuminates their mind, you won't be able to keep them away.

3. Winman

Winman Active Member

Oh, agreed. The day I was saved the pastor preached all about hell. I believe the word of God and I was scared to death that if I left church I might be killed on the way home and go to hell. When the pastor invited anyone who wanted to know how to be saved to come down, I almost ran down to the front. I had never been in that church before and there was a big crowd, I didn't care, I wanted to learn how to be saved NOW. I didn't care what anyone else thought, I take the scriptures for REAL.

4. salzer mtn

salzer mtn Well-Known Member

I have a question. The bible said the publican, standing afar off, would not lift up so much as his eyes unto heaven, but smote upon his breast, saying God be merciful to me a sinner. I tell you, this man went down to his house justified rather than the other. What made this publican to know he was justified ? If you say, by scripture. Can you prove he even knew any scripture.

5. Winman

Winman Active Member

We are not told what the publican knew, so that cannot be answered.

But we ARE told that this man went down to his house justified. He was saved, his sins were forgiven.

So, the sinner's prayer is absolutely scriptural unless you believe Jesus does not know sound doctrine.

6. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thanks sn.

I wouldn't say that they have "nothing in common". I don't believe that every modern "call upon the name of the Lord" is a "skip to the Lou" pretense.

But I think I understand where you are coming from.

Matthew 13 speaks of the wheat and the tares. Jesus told us there would be "weeds" among the wheat, He called them "tares". I'm sure you are aware of this.

In fact He even said to leave them alone "lest while ye gather up the tares, ye root up also the wheat with them".

It is my opinion that tares can give a much more subtle presentation than a mindless recitation of words.

Be patient, perhaps some of the tares are destined to be transformed into wheat.

HankD

7. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

So, is there more than one way to be saved?

1. Acts 9. The Ethiopian Eunuch: "I believe that Jesus Christ is the Son of God." Philip immediately baptized him.

2. Acts 16: The Phillippian jailer: "What must I do to be saved?" Paul and Silas: "Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and you'll be saved."

3. Romans 10:9: Paul writes, "confess with your mouth that Jesus is Lord. And believe that He rose from the dead. You'll be saved.

4. Romans 10:10: Paul continues, "With the mouth, confession is made to salvation." Confess what? That Jesus is Lord and rose from the dead.

5. Romans 10:13: Paul continues, "Call on the name of the Lord to be saved."

6. Acts 2; Peter, Day of Pentecost "Repent, and be baptized, for the remission of sins.

7. Acts 20:21 Paul to the Ephesian elders at Miletus "Testifying to Jews, and also to Greeks, repentance toward God and faith toward our Lord Jesus Christ."

8. Luke 13:3 Jesus said "Unless you repent, you'll likewise perish."

Can all these verses be harmonized? Is there more than one way to be saved? Or are all these variations on the same theme?

#27 Tom Butler, Aug 31, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 31, 2013
  8. Winman

Winman Active Member

Jesus clearly explained why the Pharisee was not saved and the publican was.

Luk 18:9 And he spake this parable unto certain which trusted in themselves that they were righteous, and despised others:
    10 Two men went up into the temple to pray; the one a Pharisee, and the other a publican.
    11 The Pharisee stood and prayed thus with himself, God, I thank thee, that I am not as other men are, extortioners, unjust, adulterers, or even as this publican.
    12 I fast twice in the week, I give tithes of all that I possess.
    13 And the publican, standing afar off, would not lift up so much as his eyes unto heaven, but smote upon his breast, saying, God be merciful to me a sinner.
    14 I tell you, this man went down to his house justified rather than the other: for every one that exalteth himself shall be abased; and he that humbleth himself shall be exalted.

The Pharisee was no atheist, he truly believed in God, but he trusted in himself that he was righteous, he boasted of all his good works. This is exactly what is shown in Matthew 7 as well.

Mat 7:21 Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven.
    22 Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works?
    23 And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity.

Again, these persons are not atheists, in fact, it is emphasized that they call Jesus "Lord, Lord" twice. These are Lordship salvationists if ever there was one. They trusted in themselves they were righteous like the Pharisee in Luke 18, they boasted that they prophesied in Jesus' name, cast out devils in his name, and did many "wonderful works" in Jesus name.

These folks believed in God, and they believed in their own works. These were not saved. It is no mystery, it is clearly shown.

The publican made no boasts. He confessed he was a sinner and cast himself completely on the mercy of God. He was saved.

9. Winman

Winman Active Member

Jesus clearly explained why the Pharisee was not saved and the publican was.

Luk 18:9 And he spake this parable unto certain which trusted in themselves that they were righteous, and despised others:
    10 Two men went up into the temple to pray; the one a Pharisee, and the other a publican.
    11 The Pharisee stood and prayed thus with himself, God, I thank thee, that I am not as other men are, extortioners, unjust, adulterers, or even as this publican.
    12 I fast twice in the week, I give tithes of all that I possess.
    13 And the publican, standing afar off, would not lift up so much as his eyes unto heaven, but smote upon his breast, saying, God be merciful to me a sinner.
    14 I tell you, this man went down to his house justified rather than the other: for every one that exalteth himself shall be abased; and he that humbleth himself shall be exalted.

The Pharisee was no atheist, he truly believed in God, but he trusted in himself that he was righteous, he boasted of all his good works. This is exactly what is shown in Matthew 7 as well.

Mat 7:21 Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven.
    22 Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works?
    23 And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity.

Again, these persons are not atheists, in fact, it is emphasized that they call Jesus "Lord, Lord" twice. These are Lordship salvationists if ever there was one. They trusted in themselves they were righteous like the Pharisee in Luke 18, they boasted that they prophesied in Jesus' name, cast out devils in his name, and did many "wonderful works" in Jesus name.

These folks believed in God, but they trusted in their own righteousness and works. These were not saved. It is no mystery, it is clearly shown.

The publican made no boasts. He confessed he was a sinner and cast himself completely on the mercy of God. He was saved.

#29 Winman, Aug 31, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 31, 2013
  10. quantumfaith

quantumfaith Active Member

Great analysis WM, there is so much more also in this passage of scripture which stands out to me.