1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

How Do I Get Started In Evangelism

Discussion in 'Pastoral Ministries' started by TAG, Feb 2, 2004.

1. TAG

TAG New Member

I'm posting this under my wifes Name since she had already got an id for the discussion boards. I'm 37 years old and I have a calling to preach. Specifically I feel called into evangelism. We live in Midland Texas and our baptist church runs about 100 on a good day. I do fill the pulpit when the pastor is gone occasionally but that may be twice a year. I need to be out preaching and thats where my heart is. Can anyone give me any suggestions on how somebody like me who is 37 can get started ? It seems like most evangelists that I see today getting started come right out of college and the school has helped them get things in order. Nothing is too hard for the Lord so I know he can do greater than my mind can even think, but I just wanted to do as much as I possibly could myself. Anybody have any ideas what I should do to get started ?

God Bless,

2. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

I would pursue a staff position first with a pastor who can train you in the ministry and then begin to work out of that local church as you are able to get meetings.

3. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

If you are called your present compulsion and ministry will reflect that. A person who is compelled to evangelize does not need anyone to push him. He is motivated and nothing stops him.

As for myself I am compelled to disciple others. I have done this in every chruch even when I was not a pastor and the pastor was against it. If God has compelled you there is nothing short of God that will make you quit or get derailed.

Start winning people to Christ and disciple them and then God will provide the ministry. In fact you will find that others will affirm you in this when it happens. They will notice God's call on your life and will do everything possible to help you.

You do not make yourself an evangelist. God does.

I have met people who have told me that they knew Billy Graham was different when they first heard him preach. He was about 19 or 20 then when they first heard him.

I would ask how is God using you already? Years ago I began discipling a young man at the age of 19. Everywhere we went he led people to Christ. If he was able to talk with someone for just a few minutes he would give them the gospel. He was compelled. I taught him to witness. But he taught me more than I ever taught him. He had it. But when it came to discipling people, for years he had the same troubles and asked me the same questions. I finally told him he needed to stick with evangelism. So he joined a team of men and women who have different strengths. He does evangelism exclusively and some do discipleship. He has never been happier in his life. When he spends time with non-believers he sees it as an investment. But when he spends time with Christians he sees it as a waste. God has equipped him very differently than myself. But God used me in his life. God used what I had and what he needed at the time to get him going and growing.

4. GODzThunder

GODzThunder New Member

I think the idea posted about getting into a good Church staff position is a good way to go if you are looking into how to help work inside a single ministry working with the same Church membership every week but evangelists work a little differently. First of all you need to be fully established in a good Church that fully recognizes your calling. Every evangelist needs a home Church to base their ministry off of. Your home Church must be willing to support you spiritually. The next step is to ask your pastor to help you get your foot into the door of other Churches around the area. Preach for them for free the first time. Tell the pastor of every Church that you are a struggling new evangelist and would be blessed if they would pass the word of your desire to preach homecomings, special services, fill-ins & revivals.

The key is to build a clientel and to let the world know that you are open and are ready to preach. You should start by being willing to preach anywhere within fifty miles of your home. After three to five years, provided you have impressed the pastors of various Churches, you will have built a clientel.

oh yes, keep your expectations low, do not try to get into big Churches of 100 or more active members at first. Start small in small Churches and do not expect much pay at first. In fact, at first never ask for or demand pay! I have found that many pastors find that a turn off for those with no "name" behind them.

5. Servent

Servent Member

You may also want to talk to your Pastor about the FAITH Sunday School Evangelism Program, We just started it in our Church, It gives you a lot of good opportunities to meet and witness to different people.