1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

How do I improve my attention span?

Discussion in 'Other Discussions' started by Guido, Jan 29, 2023.

1. Guido

Guido Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I used to do certain activities for long periods of time, like reading and computer programming. Nowadays, I can barely read for a short period of time, that is to say, when I try to read the Bible, or when I try to read a computer programming book, I get tired very easily, or easily lose interest and often do not manage to read more than two paragraphs.

I need some way of improving my attention span. I know about mindfulness mediation, but I think Christians are not supposed to practice that. Do you know of a way I can improve my attention span? I read that one way is setting a timer and repeatedly doing an activity for a set time taking breaks, then gradually increasing how long you do the activity over time. Would this work?

Another thing is I can seldom find anything to do or look up on the computer anymore, when years ago this was never a problem.

I'm not sure why I was able to concentrate on writing this post.

2. Cathode

Cathode Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Crosswords, practicing fishing knots, making nets, ropes and splices, knife sharpening on a stone, crush a squash ball, ride a bike and listen to audiobooks. Also, get off the sugar and carbohydrates, eat a large blood steak and 6 eggs once a day. Don’t trim the fat off the steak.
    After 2 weeks you’ll have attention coming out of your pee pee hole, thinking sharp, no brain clutter or forgetfulness. I don’t know how it works, but it just does, heaps of focus.

Get the big muscles lIke legs working, they fire up your electricals, bike riding and squats, I reckon it really helps your brain.

Totally reversed my parents situation as their primary carer, I did all their cooking (high fat low carbohydrate diet) and got them doing squats at the kitchen sink and using their legs (thigh muscles, calves ) on the exercise bike.
    Totally got my mum and dad back, amazing to see them become themselves again over 6 months.

They were feeding them white bread with honey or jam all the time, they didn’t get any sunlight half the time, it was a joke.
    Side note, feeding dad cabbage and broccoli with his stir fry got rid of all his bowel pulps. There’s something in those veggies.

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  3. canadyjd

canadyjd Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Wherever you are….. be there

peace to you

• Like Like x 2
  4. kyredneck

kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    ...have my Dad for your Dad...:D

• Funny Funny x 3
  5. DaveXR650

DaveXR650 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I used to have a short attention span too but I developed some simple techniques and now I can finish anything I start with no problems. All you ha

• Funny Funny x 1
  6. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I tend to be doing 3 or 4 things at once - going back and forth

7. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Stop thinking about yourself and start thinking about others. Play your cards as best you can...

8. Cathode

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    No, stay away from the cards, they won’t increase concentration, but get you addicted.

When I was a little kid in PNG I spent a lot of time drinking rum and playing cards, end up stealing to gamble, getting into fights, everyone had knife so someone would get stabbed.

Don’t even play solitaire, give the whole thing away.

• Informative Informative x 1
  9. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I dont mind solitaire - as long as there are 2 or 3 other players......

• Funny Funny x 2
  10. Cathode

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Honestly mate, I had to think about that one.