1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

How do u rate the Recovery Version?

Discussion in '2003 Archive' started by Forever settled in heaven, Aug 1, 2003.

1. Forever settled in heaven

i've just come across the Recovery Version, which is available online at:

http://online.recoveryversion.org/index1.asp

it seems to follow the critical text, but not exclusively, n a brief preface (briefer than the KJB1611's at any rate) of their approach is at:

http://www.recoveryversion.org/preface.html

"Hence, this translation and the accompanying footnotes could be called the “crystallization” of the understanding of the divine revelation which the saints everywhere have attained to in the past two thousand years. It is our hope that the Recovery Version will carry on the heritage that it has received and will pave the way for future generations."

whether it's a DE or FE approach isn't mentioned. they seem to follow the KJB in using italics to indicate (w whatever consistency) any added words.

is anyone here familiar w the Witness Lee background of this translation?

2. aefting

aefting New Member

3. Forever settled in heaven

excellent article there! thx!

i do wonder what they think of this in their Recovery Version:

"1 Does any one of you who has a 1case against another dare to be judged before the 2unrighteous and not before the saints?

2 Or do you not know that the saints will 1ajudge the world? And if the world is judged by you, are you unworthy of the 2smallest 3judgments?

3 Do you not know that we will 1judge angels, not to mention things of this life?

4 If then you hold ajudgments over things of this life, do you seat as judges 1those who are of no account in the church?

5 I say this to your ashame. So there is no one wise among you, who will be able to discern between his bbrothers?

6 But brother 1goes to court with brother, and this before aunbelievers.

7 Already then it is altogether a 1defeat to you that you have 2lawsuits with one another. Why not 3arather be wronged? Why not 3rather be defrauded?

8 But you wrong and adefraud, and this your brothers." (1 Cor. 6)

footnote reads: "11 The third problem dealt with by this Epistle is the matter of one brother going to law against another (vv. 1-11). This is not a sin like division, initiated by the soul, nor a gross sin like incest, carried out by the lustful body. This is a case of one claiming his legal rights, being unwilling to suffer wrong, unwilling to learn the lesson of the cross."

i also picked this up: http://thebereans.net/prof-cor.shtml#authority

fwiw.

4. Daughter of the King

At my former job we had a Christians distribution list/discussion group email list. The Recovery Version was brought up and soundly trounced by the more scholarly (we have a few Pastors, PhD etc. there....) mainly as I recall for its bringing in EXTRA (please read heretical) manuscripts.

I will see if any of them still have the highlights of Hamlet of the discussion available which I might share here with their permission.

Thank-you for bringing this "translation" up. As I understand it, this is not actually another translation, but rather a bible (sic) which seeks to bring in extrabiblical content.

Hmmm, now that I'm writing this more, I do recall further problems with this "translation." It recast the whole concept that we Christians are adopted into The Body of Christ. This "bible" used another word and it had a SIGNIFICANT impact on the understanding of who are/were without before our salvation with Christ. It sort of cast doubt on our filthy sinful nature and sort of hence NEED for Jesus. You can feel the slipping in of heresy I hope.

Plus, to ADD IN additional manuscripts runs counter to the close of Revelation - nothing more/nothing less.

I hope this is acceptable and respectful contribution to the discussion.

God bless!

Princess

5. Forever settled in heaven

Thx, Princess! i'd v much like to know the specifics of any textual or doctrinal changes made by the Recovery Version.

6. Gayla

Gayla New Member

What are they recovering????

7. Forever settled in heaven

their marbles?

well, who knows. i didn't see any explanation on their promo site.

8. Gayla

Gayla New Member

Watchman Nee and Witness Lee???????
    :confused:
    are those their real names?????

9. Forever settled in heaven

they shonuff r. somebody shoulda shot their ESL teacher! :D