1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

How Do You Dress for Church on Sundays?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by FR7 Baptist, Dec 12, 2009.

1. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

The rules in our house are: no sneakers, no jeans and no shorts. Other than that, everyone can wear what they want.

Personally, I can go in any number of things. Last week, I wore a wool skirt that came just above my knee, a sweater and my tall boots with a heel. I need to take a look at what I'm going to wear tomorrow - I'm just not sure. I may wear my white corduroy slacks with a black sweater and my short boots with a heel. Or I may wear my dark grey dress with the tall boots. Hmmmm - OH! I just remembered that I bought a new pair of brown pants! Maybe I'll wear those with a sweater and boots. I'll figure it out in the morning.

Hubby is leading worship so he'll be in a cotton polo shirt and khakis. He's got TERRIBLE eczema so he avoids suits if he can (none of them are 100% cotton which is what he needs with his skin). If he's leading worship, he doesn't wear a suit but something that he can move and sweat in without getting itchy. If he's not leading worship, he'll wear a suit and tie or dress slacks, shirt, tie and sport coat.

The kids go with the general guidelines. My almost 7 year old daughter usually will wear a dress, my son wears khakis and a polo or button-down shirt. My teens wear nice clothing from skirts to slacks with sweaters or nice blouses. They're certainly on the side of the "dressier" teens.

2. SBCPreacher

SBCPreacher Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sunday Mornings - Khakis, Long-sleeve shirt and tie (no coat!)

Sunday PM and Wednesday PM - Khakis and Polo shirt (still no coat)

I only wear a coat for funerals!

3. Peggy

Peggy New Member

Baptist church lady uniform. Denim jumper and blouse. :)

4. Jon-Marc

Jon-Marc New Member

I agree wholeheartedly with this. However, what if flip-flops is all the footwear someone owns? We had a young man in one church like that. He was barely able to afford clothes to wear and came to church in flip-flops. I made the mistake of mentioning that to one man in the church and was told about his financial condition. I learned a valuable lesson that day: Don't judge people or their sincerity by what they wear.

5. sag38

sag38 Active Member

I have found that there are some new folks who initially come to church dressed down in flip flops etc. And, we don't say a word to them about their dress. Yet, as time passes, as they get saved, we find that their dress changes. They tend to adopt the style of the church and begin to develop a sense that there is something special about worship and to just dress so so is somewhat in bad taste.

6. Baptist4life

Baptist4life Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Don't you know you're not supposed to wear white after Labor Day?? :tongue3::tongue3:

7. Timsings

Timsings Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    On Sunday mornings, I usually wear a suit or a sportcoat and tie. Occasionally, I will not wear a tie, but I always wear a coat. This evening, for our Christmas instrumental program, I'll wear a nice shirt and slacks.

Tim Reynolds

8. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

It's ok if it's "winter white", a popular color for corduroy. :D

9. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

Ditto to Sola Saint and Jon Marc.

10. SolaSaint

SolaSaint Well-Known Member

Agreed, I should have phrased my post meaning if one had a choice of what to wear. Thanks for the correction.:thumbs:

11. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I'm a rebel. What can I say??

Actually, this is the case. Corduroy doesn't come in "white" white but winter white. I'm sure only a woman would know the difference. :laugh:

12. preachinjesus

preachinjesus Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

We do our best to create an environment where people are welcomed regardless of their appearance. Our staff has a bit of a standard but it is in line for our context and culture.

Where we live most people never wear suits and ties anymore so we try to meet the culture where it is. Our church members come as they are and we never see suits and ties.

Now we also have a pretty good sized college and 20somethings ministry. Whenever I get to be around these wonderful young people they are wearing t-shirts, a variety of jeans in varying states of condition, polos, shoes, flip-flops, khakis, button downs, sweaters, etc. Lots of variety. Its really great and is helpful to draw in lots of our young people who prefer a casual environment but serious teaching.

I really don't get the country club atmosphere of lots of churches. You have to look like us, dress like us, talk like us, to be us. I grew up in an environment where people were expected to wear ties and coats and dresses but most of it was pretty shabby stuff.

What determines "Sunday best" when I can wear a tailored outfit of shirt, slacks, and shoes that looks sharp and someone else wear a rumpled suit, yellowing white shirt, and a novelty tie? Really, what is "Sunday best?" Can we even determine it for someone else?

13. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

IMO, Sunday best is to be clean and modest. Whatever falls into that category is fine.

14. preachinjesus

preachinjesus Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Maybe a second question that comes to mind would be, is "Sunday best" even an expectation anymore?

We have a lot of business people who wear suits and business formal attire all week long. When they come to church on Sunday they simply scale it back and have no reason not too imho. One of children's workers is a lawyer at a local firm. He wears jeans, loafers, and tshirts, sweaters, or a polo on Sundays. He mentioned a couple of weeks ago that it works for him.

Maybe I'm just thinking out loud. ;)

15. donnA

donnA Active Member

usually I do too, or at least I try to make it a habit.

16. Peggy

Peggy New Member

The Bible actually addresses the question of clothing in church:

James 2
    Favoritism Forbidden

1My brothers, as believers in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ, don't show favoritism. 2Suppose a man comes into your meeting wearing a gold ring and fine clothes, and a poor man in shabby clothes also comes in. If you show special attention to the man wearing fine clothes and say, "Here's a good seat for you," but say to the poor man, "You stand there" or "Sit on the floor by my feet," have you not discriminated among yourselves and become judges with evil thoughts?

17. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

That's a good point. Maybe our Sunday best should be a pure heart ready to worship our Lord and Savior.

18. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

Generally I try to follow this example. BWAHAHAHAHAHAAH.

19. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

This is pretty much me, too. Except I don't do dresses much anymore. I wear what I wear wherever.

Except the pool.

20. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

Bwahahahaha! Our pastor's wife complained about this church lady uniform and won't wear one!! Bwahahahahah.