1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

How do you earn a living from Theology?

Discussion in 'Baptist Colleges & Seminaries' started by UnchartedSpirit, Aug 20, 2007.

1. UnchartedSpirit

UnchartedSpirit New Member

....don't mean to be rude or anything....but when one has a Doctorate in Bible Study, well he's got a limited amount of career options afterwards doesn't he? Actually my question is how will anybody make a living with a seminary degree if/when it's no longer allowed to even be taught in this or any other Country and Bible colleges have all be closed down anyway? I didn't know how to make that into a simple title however....

#1 UnchartedSpirit, Aug 20, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 21, 2007
  2. Rhetorician

Rhetorician Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Uncharted Spirit Response

Hello Uncharted,

Nice to see someone new on this section of the BB.

First off, I don't see your question as rude. It is a question asked with an honest heart.

Secondly, we don't earn doctoral degrees in "Bible Study" any more than someone earns a doctoral degree in "History Study." Those just happen to be the thing one does with the respective degree when one gets it.

Thirdly, I would say that the "Bible study" doctorate graduates would not have any harder or easier way to make a living than any other devoted follower of Christ. We will all be scrounging to make a living and probably even survive if it gets as bad as you make it out.

Then again maybe this is what we need in America; a real old fashioned dose of persecution.

sdg!

rd

3. npetreley

npetreley New Member

It depends. Are you a legalist or antinomian? Legalists make great lawyers. Antinomians make great politicians. If you're anywhere inbetween the two, you'll have to go back to school.

4. UnchartedSpirit

I'm neither anywhere near the two...I'm an artist/writer so that makes me one with the fewist chances for survival....

5. Plain Old Bill

Plain Old Bill New Member

Is your question pointed to pre-trib or tribulation times?:godisgood:

6. bobbyd

bobbyd New Member

Well...if you have a bad theology, there is always a future in TV evangelism; i think TBN may have some openings! :laugh:

7. UnchartedSpirit

I meant our times I think...I know sorta what theologians are going to face during the tribulations eras....

8. tlange

tlange New Member

It is an interesting question

Especially when you read some of the older works and biographies of men like Spurgeon, Martin Luther, etc. You never hear them talk about money much, or their financial situation. What has always stumped me, is how these guys could study for 8-10 hours a day, etc. but what did they do to earn a living? I wish I could study for that long, but it would not pay the bills in my household! I am currently squeezing seminary in around 40 hrs a week working!

9. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

Doctoral degrees are typically earned in order to teach or pastor. The Bible instructs that those who preach the gospel are to live of the gospel. Therefore, you make a living from theology by planting a church through evangelism and discipleship.