1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

How do you feel about gun control?

Discussion in '2000-02 Archive' started by Daniel David, Oct 22, 2002.

1. g'day mate

g'day mate New Member

In Australia most of us hate yes gate guns.

yesterday a man who belonged to a pistol club walked in the monash univ.here in Melbourne Australia killed 2 and injured 3 and at the same time that sniper in the USA killed another person.
    sorry most people dont need guns.America has a real problem with fire arms. And it appears That Australia has one as well.Get rid of them,know,do you have to have a gun to feel more like a man,did I hear somebody say yes.
    JOhn

2. Daniel David

Daniel David New Member

When catapults are outlawed, only outlaws will have catapults.

3. Daniel David

Daniel David New Member

go2church, this is not in the wrong thread. This is the Fundy forum where just about anything can be said. The only requirement is that one does not call into question the integrity of Scripture and the doctrines that are clearly mentioned.

4. Optional

Optional New Member

Australia has one of the toughest gun control laws in the world and people still are killed with guns? Amazing! How does this happen? Oh yea - you take the guns away from honest people and criminals still have them.
    As for your killer. He wanted to kill. If he didn't have a gun, he would have used something else. You can't stop a nut - unless maybe you're armed yourself.

As for your ultra-snide comment about feeling more like a man...ridiculous. I have been carrying for years. I have yet to ever draw my gun for any reason except target practice.
    I think the questioning of someone's manhood is a cheap shot.
    Maybe you can stop the next killer with your mouth.

5. Johnv

Johnv New Member

The second amendment reads:

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms shall not be infringed

Funny how everyone quotes the keeping and bearing arms, but skip over the well-regulated militia part.

6. Johnv

Johnv New Member

...do you have to have a gun to feel more like a man,did I hear somebody say yes...

Well, that was rather curt....

Whether or not one is made to feel more manly is irrelevant to whether or not one should be allowed to own one.

Like I said earlier, I don't own a weapon, because I have kids in the house. But for me to say that, just because I don't have one, my neighbor shouldn't have one, is ridiculous.

7. Pastor_Bob

Pastor_Bob Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Statistics will prove that more people are killed each year by alcohol-related accidents but yet they still sell cold, ready to drink beer at the gas station. This issue is not protecting the public, the issue is control.

More accidental deaths occur annually by medical doctors than by guns. Are we going to outlaw doctors?

Do we need "match control" to discourage arsonists?

8. C.S. Murphy

C.S. Murphy New Member

Ladies and gentlemen three rudes don't make rightous so let's just drop the gun toting issue and all strive to play nice. Thanks [​IMG]
    Murph

9. Optional

Optional New Member

Noone's skipping over it. Try forming a militia nowdays. :D
    It's 2 different thoughts - a militia and the right of the people. This has been verified over and over in court and attorney's general rulings.
    It's not worth arguing with you, though. If you want a gun - your business. If you don't - your business.
    Noone has anything to fear from honest people owning guns. However, making guns illegal does not get rid of them. Drugs are illegal and have been for quite a while, but I bet I could get some within a day. In fact, drugs are more easily attainable than ever.
    What makes anyone think guns would be different?

10. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

Brother Murph!
    Wondering what you meant by your post??

To the others--I have guns, always will have guns, probably will buy more guns before my life here on Earth is finished. I have never killed anyone with my gun. I have never pointed even an unloaded, open breeched gun at any soul. I keep my guns in a locked stand up cabinet--metal. If someone were to bust into my house, I'd be in a sad state of affairs--since I'd have to go all the way to the kitchen to retreave my cabinet key--then go to the back room to open the cabinet--all the while--the intruder is fireing his AK-47 at me!! I never had someone break into my home while I was there--don't look for anyone to do that!

As far as folks toteing weapons on their possession--as self defense--I oppose that idea--its not needed. TV pictures a wild, wild west mentality--that simply does not fit the discription of the America I know!

Your friend,
    Blackbird

11. Scott J

Scott J Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Why? One of the problems with gun crime in America is that we deny the relationship between race and violent crime.

I have numerous black friends. In fact, the best friend I've had is black. But, once in awhile you see statistics that break crime out demographically. In the last one I saw, whites in the US had rates of violent crime similar to those in countries with stringent gun laws. A very disproportionate number of crimes are committed by young black men in our inner cities. Of course, anyone bold enough to say something like this is automatically labeled a racist but until we get over such non-sense we can never help these people nor their communities.

12. Optional

Optional New Member

Tell that to the people who were in Luby's Cafeteria in Killeen, TX. a few years back when a gunman opened fire. Tell that to the people who were at work when the nut walked in and opened fire (this has happened numerous times). Tell that to the folks at Wedgewood Baptist Church.
    If anyone in these crowds had been carrying, loss of life would not have been near so bad.

13. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

Brother Optional!

I remember those incidents--and may I say that it is a shame and a horror for those things to happen anywhere.

There is a fine line, of course, in "should I carry a 'heater' or not?" It is possible that the more folks who become "carriers" of a "heater" there are--the more accidents involving those things--you see? Accidental discharges--mostly--folks carrying them around like they do all those cell phones--not properly holstered--immature folks begin "playing" with them, waveing them around and stuff--

No, after thought--I have no problem with folks who want to "pack heat"--but, no, I don't think they should be allowed to carry it around in public display on the hip like a patrol officer--and then one more question that will be on my mind--if folks are allowed to carry--at what point are they justified in using--sure, there is that Lubbies cafe and that church you mentioned--which are rare, rare, rare occurances--but what sort of infraction would I have to make for you to draw your weapon on me?? And when you do draw and do discharge your weapon at me--and you miss or mame me--who will handle your "Internal Affairs" and you had better have a DANG good lawyer if you even discharge it in my general direction and I havn't done anything to justify you drawing the thing in the first place! How many "hot heads" are there going to be who draw and discharge as road rage or some other petty thing--kill and mame folks over something so stupid and silly??

Besides, a big ole heater--a .357 or a .44 can be a heavy sucker to tote around all day, 365 days out of the year for years and years--and never ever once haveing to use the thing--because chances are nothing like that will ever happen to about 99.9% of the average citizens of the US.

But I'll leave it up to you, Optional! Its your option to tote a heater. Just make for God sake when you draw your weapon on me--that its justifible--or its "One call! That's all!!" and your "can" will be in the "klink" so fast it'll make your wife cry!

Your friend,
    Blackbird

14. Pete

Pete New Member

G'day g'day mate. When was the referendum Oz had on the gun issue that declared our national hatred for them? I must have missed it?

It would be interesting to see a comparison between the membership numbers of the Sporting Shooters Association of Australia and...ummm...Gun Control Australia isn't it? Some in NSW must like guns anyway, as our State parliament has a Shooters Party member.

The biggest problem with guns that Australia/America/where-ever has is that it does not know that guns are NOT the problem. From memory Genesis 4:8 does not say "And Cain talked with Abel his brother: and it came to pass, when they were in the field, that Cain drew his .44, aimed it unto Abel his brother, and bleweth him away."

In the "gun problem" I think much more is needed than a knee-jerk "ban-everything-that-bangs" response when there is a problem with them. Sadly politicians of all parties & countries are mostly too gutless to tackle causes. A quote I found on www a while ago says it perfectly: Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it, misdiagnosing it and then misapplying the wrong remedies.

The town of Kennesaw in Georgia USA passed an interesting gun law in 1982. The law required every house to have a gun, the crime rate plummeted ( http://www.dartreview.com/issues/2.26.01/editorial.html ) The town's saturation of guns did nothing to fix it's residents' sinful natures, it just gave those who wished to express that nature by robbings, bashings, etc a good reason to express that elsewhere ;)

Pete

15. Optional

Optional New Member

Bro. blackbird,

Thank you for respecting my right to carry.
    As I've stated, I have never drawn my gun with "purpose" and, odds are, probably never will. I assure you I don't take the responsibility lightly. As for pointing it at you....you don't strike me as the pull-a-gun-let's-blow-some-people-away type.
    Well except with your mouth. :D

16. swordsman

swordsman New Member

I believe every law abiding (adult) individual should be trained and required to carry a gun on there person at all times.
    Well you did ask....

[ October 24, 2002, 09:39 PM: Message edited by: swordsman ]

17. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

Swordsman,

AAHH! A true militia! Deputizing US citizens!! Good thought! But here's the catch--I like guns, my wife don't!

Just like everyone has a right to carry a "heater" if they want to--folks still have a right "not" to carry that "heater"--so the government can no more require folks to carry a gun--as they can anything else!

Your friend,
    Blackbird

18. Ben W

Ben W Active Member
    Site Supporter

Apparently the washington sniper who praise God has been caught was a muslim convert waging his own holy war. How many others like him are able to go into gunshops in the U.S and arm themselves to begin a terror campaign?

19. Daniel David

Daniel David New Member

Ben W, that would be an argument FOR capital punishment and not gun control. Just imagine a world where the only people with guns are government and criminals... Why, it is almost heaven on earth...

Gun control is about using both hands.

20. Ben W

Ben W Active Member
    Site Supporter

Dosent it concern you though that a Muslim extremist can go and outfit himself with Snipers tools. And start a Holy War? I dont think it is unreasonabe for certain types of rifles to be banned. For people to be required to have a firearm licence, which can be revoked by the police or a doctor in the case of certain mental illness.