1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

How do you feel about....

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by ktn4eg, Nov 25, 2013.

1. ktn4eg

ktn4eg New Member

.....boycotts of a nation-wide chain that endorses things you would oppose (ex: abortion, same-s@x marriages, etc.)?

2. agedman

agedman Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't mind boycotts.

In fact, I refuse to purchase from "Home Depot" unless there is no other choice.

3. thisnumbersdisconnected

Boycotts of a local store usually don't get translated to the main office, therefore are generally a waste of time. Also, the local store manager and employees have no say whatsoever in company policy nationwide, and punishing them for their idiot home office leadership is unfair.

Far more effective to write the company, tell them your feelings, present petitions to them, etc., than punish a local store and your neighbors who work there.

4. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    A matter of personal conscience. I boycotted JC Penney for a while when they had their overt same-s@x advertising campaign. The CEO that brought that has since been sacked.

The problem with boycotts is that if you look into darn near any large company you will find something objectionable with some cause that they fund or donate to. It's virtually impossible to find a "pure" company. I think only the Amish could succeed at purging every product from their life that wasn't tied somehow to something objectionable.

5. abcgrad94

abcgrad94 Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    All companies probably have something we could find to nit-pick, but there are some who seem to delight in pushing certain agendas I avoid those when possible. Instead, I try to shop places owned and operated by Christians. Chic-Fil-A is one business I support. I also prefer to buy my gasoline from gas stations that use USA oil, not Muslim oil. Money talks, and I'd rather my dollars support those businesses that support the USA and my personal ideas of what is good and right.

6. Sapper Woody

Sapper Woody Well-Known Member

I'm OK with a boycott for religious reasons. As long as it's a boycott and not a picket-line. Picketing is (in my opinion) a form of terrorism. But a boycott (meaning not shopping/buying there) is simply an expression saying, "Sorry. I cannot support your current stance." A picket line is saying, "Do what I want or I will hurt you (financially) and I will get others to hurt you." A difference, to be sure.

7. Judith

Judith Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I support it 100%

8. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

Back in the day, I thought boycotting Disney was a grand Idea. But I never had gone before, so I don't know what the point is.

It depends on what my point is. But,,,,, I do not picket.

9. go2church

go2church Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Mostly silly