1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

How do you feel poltically

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by Steve_S, Jun 11, 2009.

?
  1. I side with Republicans on most issues

19 vote(s)
    61.3%
  2. I side with Democrats on most issues

8 vote(s)
    25.8%
  3. Religion and politics are completely separate

3 vote(s)
    9.7%
  4. I am not political at all

1 vote(s)
    3.2%
  1. steaver

steaver Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Marcia, you are participating on a "Political Thread" and are in a "Political" discussion right now!

:wavey:

2. steaver

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian

I don't know about "one way" to be Christian, but there is a "right" way and a "left, I mean "wrong" way to be a Christian. It is found in the bible.

Of course "abortion" is always a highlighted political issue because it is so polarizing in this country, however, the scripture is crystal clear on murder and no Christian should be yoking themselves together with any representative who professes to be pro-murder (choice sounds so much sweeter). So any representative supporting abortion should automatically be scratched off the Christian's choice flat out else they have the blood of innocents on their hands.

:jesus:

3. steaver

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    PLease don't ignore any ungodly positions held by those you vote for brother. We are not to be yoked together with the deeds of darkness. Any position that flat out goes against Christ should cause that person to be outright rejected by Christians. No compromise for flat out ungodliness.

4. Freedom

Freedom New Member

No, never. Not in the Bible anyway. In the minds of most conservative professing Christians, yes. Note that I say professing.

5. targus

targus New Member

You are questioning the status of a person's salvation based on their political conservativeness?

That doesn't sound very Christian to me.

6. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

I'm posting in a discussion in the Politics forum, which I do sometimes, yes. That is a good point. But otherwise, I am not very political. :smilewinkgrin:

7. SeekingTruth

SeekingTruth Member

But it would be Just Christian.:laugh:

8. go2church

go2church Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Does voting mean yoking? I don't necessarily think it does. Most of the time I find myself in the situation where I have to choose between two candidates that both have portions of their platforms that I find I don't agree with.

9. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    There is a distinct and more difference between holding differences on issues like money and holding differences on life like abortion. Money issues can simply be a difference of opinion and involve no immorality. Therefore voting for someone who holds that difference bears no immoral responsibility. However, differences on life such as abortion always involves morality and therefore those who vote for a person who supports the slaughter of unborn children votes to approve their behavior. When you vote for such a person you cannot separate yourself from any of their position when you know in advance that is their position. You have voted immorally.

10. sag38

sag38 Active Member

I side with the Republican on most issues. They are the closest to what I believe. I agree on most issues but not all. I could also say the same of libertarians. I agree on most issues but not all. And, I agree with the Democrats on some issues but much of what they stand for goes against everything that I believe to be right and true.

11. steaver

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    The word of God is clear about this...

"And have no fellowship with the unfruitful works of darkness, but rather reprove [them]." (Eph 5:11)

As you read many post on this board you will see two camps set up. One camp excuses representatives who support the murder of innocent babies by proclaiming "I AM NOT A ONE ISSUE VOTER". Now you can search the scriptures and you will not find anywhere where God tells us to give evil a pass if the evil also does some good. No, we are to reject anything that even smells of evil, flat out!

The other camp you see will be calling for no compromise with God's word. If a representative supports the murder of innocent babies he or she is flat out rejected. Further, this camp will point out their sin and call for their rejection. This camp is following God's word having NO fellowship with works of darkness and REPROVING them as well.

If I know a person is going to seat pro-murder judges and I know a person is going to veto bills that restrict abortion and I know a person is going to sign bills that give one person the right to kill another for any reason, then I have an obligation by the word of God to NOT support said person with my vote. Doesn't matter if otherwise the man looks like a mother Tereasa (sp)!

A vote is giving SUPPORT to ALL causes of the represetative, even those causes you don't really agree with. Not all causes are black and white as Rev pointed out. There is room for choice, but not on God's laws. Christians should properly review ALL positions of a candadate and reject them if any, even one, position goes against the word of God.

12. go2church

go2church Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    A vote is giving SUPPORT to ALL causes of the represetative, even those causes you don't really agree with. Not all causes are black and white as Rev pointed out. There is room for choice, but not on God's laws. Christians should properly review ALL positions of a candadate and reject them if any, even one, position goes against the word of God.

I wish that the world as black and white as you present it to be. There is room for choice (ok there is a joke there but moving on) according to your interpretation of the Bible. That is a fundamentalist "believe like me or else" mentality that I reject out of hand as interested more in power, control and telling people what to do then actually living, loving and judging as Jesus did.

I reject your "vote is giving support to all causes" theory. We have individual votes on bills, opportunities to lobby for different causes, etc... The secular world in is not that black and white we are forced to move around in areas of grey sometimes. 1 Corinthians 5:9-13

13. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Most likely because holding to this soothes your conscience about your immoral support for an immoral President.

This is a dodge on the issue at hand. The opportunity to lobby has nothing to do with knowing in advance that a candidate supports the whole sale slaughter of unborn children by ripping their limbs a part piece by piece. When you know in advance and vote for him you vote to support that issue. And it is an immoral vote. The best liberal Christians can do is to have no one to vote for even if you can see that same particular candidate as having some especially strong and correct view on other issues. And I fail to see how that passage applies to your post.

14. just-want-peace

just-want-peace Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Your statement fits this joke perfectly

The "0" kept his bell VERY, VERY quiet!!!:sleep:

15. go2church

go2church Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It is interesting that you use the words "support immoral President" - I voted for Bush... twice! My conscience is fine thank you very much.

My point is that voting is not always a matter of black hats and white hats. I am pro-life, but have found myself having to vote for someone who supports the death penalty, it's not and ideal world that sin has left us with.

The point of the verse was to show that even in Paul's day there was a recognition that Christians where going to have to live in a world less then ideal. Keep the church as holy as possible but leave the judging to God for those outside.

16. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't really understand this comment.

Two unrelated issues.

Paul did not say leave the judging of others outside the church to God in the context of voting for immoral Presidents who support the slaughter of children. And itis amazing that anyone could over look that under any circumstances. How desensitized has the church become. Callous hearts to slaughtered children are very troublesome.

17. just-want-peace

just-want-peace Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Our pastor talked about the mind and it's effects on our relation to God last night.
    He was emphasizing the fact that if you let garbage into your mind steadily, you would soon lose the desire to relate to Godly guidance.

I would say that this issue of legalized murder has so desensitized the church at large, that it is now just a "difference of opinion" rather than a sin - sorta like the homo issue is rapidly becoming.

It's become a matter of "OPINION" rather than "THUS SAITH THE LORD"!

MARANATHA!!!!!!

18. go2church

go2church Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Your comment was to imply that I voted for an abortion supporter and was trying to ease my conscience, don't play coy it's not very becoming. BTW I didn't vote for our current president either, as if that really mattered

Abortion and capital punishment are not unrelated, life is life. I believe all life should be in the hands of God. We as a society are capable of punishing the wrong doers without taking revenge.

It would be interesting to know what Paul would have written concerning actually getting to vote. He did tell us to submit to the authorities, knowing full well the trouble those same authorities had caused him and other followers of the Way. In fact he called them "God's servant for your good" - Wow a sexually immoral, violent, drunken leader was "God's servant for your good".

I don't know what you mean by callous heart. Is voting the measure of a callous heart? I thought actually reaching out to them, providing a safe place for them, encouraging and helping them to finish school was more a measure of the heart condition, but what do I know!?

19. go2church

go2church Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  20. steaver

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    There are many "political" issues that are "black and white" in God's word. Abortion (murder) is one of them. Is feeding the poor and hungry a "grey" area to you? How about forgiveness? Loving Jesus? Charity?

Give me "your" interpretation of the bible on these issues and let's see if you are a "fundamentalist".

Not sure how 1 Cor 5:9-13 applies here. Obama claims to be a Christian so according to God's word his actions should be judged by the Church. And since Obama is a wicked person for supporting murder of innocents he should therefore be put away from among us as the scripture instructs. THat would certainly include NOT VOTING FOR HIM!

Can you give us an example of a political issue that is "grey" in God's word?

:godisgood: