1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

How do you get them ost out of your bible reading/study

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Jordan Kurecki, May 27, 2015.

1. Jordan Kurecki

Jordan Kurecki Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So I've grown rather bored of Chronologically reading through the word of God.

I have read through the bible as a whole somewhere around 4 or 5 times, I was thinking recently about how a lot of the New Testament is written to the churches and how it's specially for the church age, so I figured I need to start really learning and digging so I had an idea:

Read through the same New Testament book every day for a month, and do a different book each month, this way it will take a bout 2 years or so to get through the New Testament., in addition to these I will be working through the Psalms (1 a month) and reading the same Psalm 5 times a day to try and memorize them.

I am abandoning Chronological reading for now. I am going to read the same NT book over and over again for a month and move on to a new book each month. all the time during this I will continue a memorization plan I have been doing through Song of Solomon, I read the same chapter, 5 times a day, for a month straight, and then I move on to the next chapter. I am on chapter 6 now, once I finish song of Solomon I will begin working through the Psalms using the same method.

I felt bad about stopping reading through Chronologically. So to make up for it I am going to listen to the bible chronologically ( i have the complete Alexander Scourby Audio set of the bible) as I drive my car since I do quite a handful of driving.

What are your thoughts?

What methods or ways of reading/studying your bible have you found to be the most helpful?

2. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Not sure what you mean by "chronologically." As I understand it, the order of the NT books are by importance, the gospels, then the acts of the Holy Spirit, then Romans and so forth.

I too would like to play an audio book, say Romans, on my car system, but the technology keeps changing and being long of tooth, I cannot seem to keep up. But I am with you on the idea.

It takes a lot of time, but I like to do word studies. Now some words appear hundreds of times, but usually the key words of the New Testament appear a manageable number of times.

Recently I posted a study of Titus 3:4, which addressed two of the key words and the various ways the words are rendered in the NT. But, now when I read Titus 3:4, the meaning that seems most accurate jumps off the page.

3. Jordan Kurecki

Jordan Kurecki Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am constantly looking up words using Websters 1828 and Zodhiates Word Studies.

I use E-Sword on my Ipad mainly for verse by verse commentaries.