1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

How do you handle anonymous letter in your church?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by piaairline, Apr 29, 2006.

1. piaairline

piaairline New Member

Hello! Just wondering what your church does when an anonymous letter to the pastor pops up? Does the action taken depend on the content of the letter?

Thanks.

2. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

It gets filed in File W (wastebasket). Unread.

3. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

Each one that pops up, we take the concerned member to the back of the church and give 40 lashes with a cat-o-ninetails.

4. Pete

Pete New Member

Put it in the anonymous incinerator... [​IMG]

Read it first though just in case [​IMG]

5. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

If someone does not have the backbone to sign their name, then it gets put in the trashcan.

6. Ben W

Ben W Active Member
    Site Supporter

Have it DNA tested, check our files, then review that persons weekly protection money commitment.

7. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

What if they were in trouble their kid on drugs etc and wanted someone to pray but wanted to remain anonymous, don't you think we should at least look at it and then make the decision?

8. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

Brother Bob,
    On the serious side, even though I cannot recall an anonymous letter, it seems to me this would be about the same situation as raising hands for an unspoken prayer request. So, yes, I agree with your point.

9. Shiloh

Shiloh New Member

Read it and then make a decision what to do with it.Just think how many anonymous "letters" have been read on BB?

10. J.R.Maddox

J.R.Maddox New Member

The story is told that Spurgeon recieved such a letter...it simply said "FOOL!" In which he shared it with his congregation and said the following. "Often times I have recieved letters with content yet no signature, this is the only time I have recieved a letter with a signature yet no content"

I love Spurgeon!

J

11. genesis12

genesis12 Member

Prayerfully and carefully consider the content. If led to do so, call in the chairman of the deacons. Pray with him about it. Let the Spirit move everything that follows.

12. rbell

rbell Active Member

I read it...but if it's a list of complaints or junk, I toss it.

13. Hope of Glory

Hope of Glory New Member

I agree. Read it. If it's an anonymous prayer request, then deal with it, by all means.

If it's a complaint, judge the merits of it. There are many reasons that a letter might be anonymous. Maybe the person is shy. Maybe he wants to let you know something without being confrontational. Maybe he's just in insignificant jerk.

Judge the merits instead of tossing it unread.

14. TaterTot

TaterTot Guest

How can you know its anonymous if you dont read it? lol.

We have had one. It was about another staff member at our church. Read it, pondered it, and chucked it, never telling the staff member. I think its cowardly.

15. Frenchy

Frenchy New Member

For all those who disagree with anonymous letters, what's the difference between that and a sugestion box? wouldn't they both be in the same catagory. I would think a pastor would be more pleased to receive a letter of concern (which had merit and truth of course) from someone he didn't know the letter was from, so as NOT to allow Satan to use that info to cause bitterness, resentment and a judgemental attitude towards the author. but allow the letter to actually speak to his heart as comming from God and not man.

There are many good reasons for not signing a letter. But if the author is really wanting some kind of change or a response he should sign his name.

16. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

Can you share these "good" reasons?

17. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

1 Timothy 5:19- Against an elder receive not an accusation, but before two or three witnesses.

Can an anonymous letter qualify as a witness? (Assuming the anonymous letter is directed at the pastor.)

Dr. Lee Roberson always looked at the bottom of his mail and if there was not a signature there he trashed it. At least that is what he told us he did.

18. Frenchy

Frenchy New Member

yeah there were quit a few in my OP.

19. Frenchy

Frenchy New Member

only a pastor with too much pride would worry who wrote the letter. doing what is right in God's eyes should be the main focus. if the letter is contrary to God's word and his best for the church, then throw it out. if it isn't see how God can use it to make things better. doesn't matter who wrote it?

Please tell my WHY IT WOULD MATTER? so that person can be "marked" or "labled"?

Focus should be on the MESSAGE not the messenger

20. TaterTot

TaterTot Guest

It has nothing to do with pride. Most churches have a troublemaker or two, and if its from one fo them, then most pastors would probably disregard it. If its a sincere issue, I think most would hear it with an open heart.