1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

How do you handle bigotry and racism?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Berean, Aug 20, 2010.

1. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I used to go up there quite often & always brought my snow shovel. Always amazed how well the city of Syracuse was at show removal. The roads were always clear & with all those lake effects too. Is the Mens Suit place / A factory outlet still there? I liked that place & was introduced to Wagmans Supermarkets also. Lastly, when is the NYS Fair this year? It puts NJ & Pennsylvania fairs to shame. I might get up there to see it.

2. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    1. I think you are talking about Leaburys (apperantley they dont have a web site)

2. As a driving insturctor, I would have problems giving students a good winter snow driving lesson (after they passed their road test) beacuse the city and County are so good at snow removal.

3. The Great New York State Fair begins this Thursday 26 Aug and runs thur Labor Day

If you make it up, let me know, and we can do breakfast at Mothers Cupboard diner (you are only allowed one pancake - thats if you can eat the whole thing)

PS, be sure to read all the reviews, not just the first one - I think its a false review

3. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thank you on all counts....I gave my Leaburys suit away, Ashamed of the poundage I put on, but that was the classic grey flannel & I loved it. But those pancakes you know. Used to do business with Pass & Seymour in Solan ....do you know if they are still there? They were bought by the French Conglomerate named "Legrand" but as you know good private companies tend to leave slowly in the shadows of these international cooperations....maybe 'Cooperation" is one of those slight of hand business terms used to confuse the already confused....I point to myself.

Have a good Sabbath

4. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thank you - it was a good day on Saturday. We had an Association picnic and executive board meeting. We voted in a new church, and talked about starting some new works in CNY. Today (Sunday) we had a good service at church.

5. jrscott

jrscott New Member

I would say that the prescribed steps of church discipline would handle this. You've been given some great references to explain from the Scriptures that his attitude is wrong. First, prayerfully consider your own heart so that you do not fall into the snare of the devil. Secondly lovingly and prayerfully confront this person with the Scriptures and show him that his attitude is not one that is fitting or becoming of a child of God. Give the Scriptures time to do it's work. From there, if there is not confession and repentance, (I will usually approach a person one or two times before bringing the next step), bring one or two witnesses with you. One again, try to reason with this person from the Scriptures. (if you are not a member of his church, I would prayerfully go to his pastor and explain the situation and ask him and another member from his church to come with you). If this does not bring about repentance, then the next step is to involve the entire church, so that they may all lovingly and prayerfully try to reason with him from the Scriptures.

As the Scriptures are brought to bear on his sinful attitude over and over again, we must trust the Spirit to do His work on the brother's heart. If this does not take place, and he is still in violation of the Scriptures, then you are to regard him as an unbeleiver and put him out of the church so that his sin may not infect others in the church.

Pertinant Scriptures: (See above for the actual issue - although there are several passages in the OT Law about treating the stranger among you with kindness. I believe that would apply here).

Mt. 18, 1 Cor. 5, Gal. 6.1-2; 1 John 5.16-17

Oh.... one more thing... A really good book on handling the practicalities of this is "Instruments in the Redeemer's Hands" by Paul David Tripp.

#25 jrscott, Aug 23, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 23, 2010
  6. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

That is utterly ridiculous. You ought to be more hesitant about comparing brothers in Christ to ADOLF HITLER.

Recognizing that blacks dominate the Olympic speed running events is not racism.

Recognizing that the Sweed's and those of Norse descent dominate the World's Strongest Man competition is not to be equated with Hitler.

God made each race differently. Each has it's own sets of strengths and weaknesses. I only pointed out the strengths. I literally complimented the races and you brought Hitler to bear as a response.

An apology would be in order in my opinion.

7. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

8. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

Back in the day, in southern Oklahoma (Around 1988 or 89) I had started attending a church there. The pastor, from the pulpit, starts to tell a joke about a "nigger woman". Ugh.

Mind you, I am not "white looking"...I have black hair and tend to look hispanic or hawaiian or something of that nature (my daddy is Filipino).

After church was over, I was dawdling, and the pastor came up to greet me and asked me what nationality I was. I told him I was a nigger. He him hawed around. Ugh. People like him irritate me.

9. Luke2427

Luke2427 Active Member

I am against racism if racism is treating one inferior to the other or mistreating one in any way due to his race.

But people have become RIDICULOUSLY over sensitive about this matter.

Races are different more than just their skin color. Musculature is different. Some tend to be extraordinarily fast when trained and others tend to be extraordinarily strong when trained. Some tend to be short and others tend to be tall. It is not evil to recognize this FACT when it is plain for the whole world to see.

Rather than lying and pretending that all races are identical to one another to bow to cultural pressure and political correctness of the age- embrace the strengths that God has placed in each. Treat all with respect and dignity. Treat all as equals because God did make us equal- but that doesn't mean he made us all the same for pity's sake. Don't put your head in the sand. Don't embrace ignorance for political correctness sake. And don't be a cultural automaton who doesn't think for himself but rather does nothing but regurgitate what his particular circle of influence feeds him.

Thinking people recognize that while we all may be equal- we are not all the same.

10. Mexdeaf

Mexdeaf New Member

Way I see it- Bible says we (Christians/church) are His body. Some are feet, some hands, some less comely parts. All have different functions, responsibilities, etc. It's not my decision as to what place I have in His body- he places us as it pleases Him. But we work together under one head- Christ.

Same was true in OT. When God set up the 12 tribes and families of Levi, each had their place and responsibilities as Israel traveled. Again God's decision and all for His glory.

Seems to me that same principle should apply to the world in general- with the understanding that when sin enters the picture, we ALL are a cursed race. None of us has a choice as to what group or family we are born in to. Christians of all people should know and understand that God cherishes each of us and that we should rejoice in the diversity of races as much as we rejoice in the diversity of seasons.

11. NiteShift

NiteShift New Member

When I was alot younger and serving in the army, there were times when I was assigned to units that were 90 - 95 % Black. As I was often one of the few whites around, many of them made a point of making racial comments and insults about white people in front of me. I won't even repeat any of them on here. Anyway, the point is that racial and bigoted attitudes are not confined to just one racial group. And you are right, it is no fun being on the receiving end of attitudes like that.

12. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

I understand. I work in a setting where my peers are predominantly black, and it has been an eye opener to me. Attitudes go both ways. And yes, I jump right in the middle of my black peers when I feel that they are being "prejudiced" or bear an attitude that might be racist. :BangHead:

Having said all that, there is a movie out a few years ago that, though it isn't sanitized Christian, it does give a fair portrayal of racism in a lot of situations. Might want to check out the movie Crash if you can handle it.

13. NiteShift

NiteShift New Member

Thanks for the tip. I will probably <not> rent that movie ;)