1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured How do you handle Halloween?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Calminian, Aug 1, 2020.

?
  1. Ignore it

2. Protest it: warn people of pagan roots, occultism

3. Alternative themes: harvest festivals, trunk or treat, etc.

4. Celebrate as is: it's fun and harmless

5. Celebrate as is: Use the traditional themes for good

6. None of the above

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Calminian

Calminian Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

With Halloween on the not-so-distant horizon, curious how Christians view it.

We actually study creationism and the fall on halloween. Great time to discuss the history of earth, and the true origins of death—mainly because there is so much confusion in this area.

We take part and enjoy the traditional darker themes of Halloween. I just teach my kids to view the symbols they see from a biblical perspective—how and when death enter the world, how it was conquered, how and when it will be totally destroyed. Our theme verse on Halloween is Gen. 3:15.

You can make multiple selections in the poll and change your vote(s) if you like.

2. Marooncat79

Marooncat79 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hand out tracts. Not j chick either. Good ones like Ultimate Questions along w the candy

3. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I cut off all the lights and generally retire to my bedroom. But I have neither heard nor seen much activity, if any, on my street in years. I guess kids go to parties nowadays instead of going door-to-door.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Reynolds

Reynolds Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I go trick or treating.

• Funny Funny x 2
  5. Calminian

Site Supporter

Pillowcase or pumpkin bucket?

• Like Like x 1
  6. evenifigoalone

evenifigoalone Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    My family didn't celebrate Halloween for most of my childhood, but I partake in it to some extent as I think it's harmless

Sent from my SM-J737T1 using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
  7. Calminian

Site Supporter

I didn't celebrate at all with my kids for the early years of their lives. I couldn't figure out a way to make God the center of it. Then an epiphany hit me. Make it about the Fall and the Curse. Teach something biblical through it. The Origins of Death and The Halloween Opportunity. Conscience became clear after that, and the kids were thrilled.

8. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ain't got any. Don't handle it.

9. Reynolds

Reynolds Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Pumpkin bucket.

• Like Like x 1
  10. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Holloween the term is a corruption of Hollows even, All Hollows eve, the day before the Roman Catholic All Saints Day, also known as Hollowmass (Noverber 1st), like the RCC Christmas (December 25th). Can be used as an opertunity to present the genuine gospel. What it has become has little to do with what it was suppose to be. Or just ingore it.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Calminian

Site Supporter

Christmas (since you mentioned it) and other holidays can only become what people make of them, and one can only speak for himself. If anyone has allowed Christmas to become pagan (or something negative), they can't blame anyone else. It's all up to you.

For me, Christmas is all about Christ. My kids know the Christmas symbols and what they represent. They know what the colors represent, what the season represents, what the tree represents. They even know that Santa represents a true historical Christian and his reputed deeds. Halloween, also, for us, has come to have significant theological meaning.

With Paul's message in Romans 14, we really are without excuse if we miss these holiday opportunities.

• Like Like x 2
  12. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    FYI, "it" I was referring to the topic of Holloween not Christsmas which I mentioned as to regards to Hollowmas.

13. Calminian

Site Supporter

Got ya. Halloween, certainly has strayed from a Christian tradition in the general public's eye. It's unique in the US, with unique origins.

But it is interesting to me, that many cultures have these day-of-the-dead type observances. It's almost like they're searching for understanding. Death is not fun to think about. Maybe these annual holidays force people to do just that. Maybe we, as Christians, should offer some answers, especially to our families.

• Like Like x 2
  14. 37818

37818 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    In Mexico, All Souls Day, November 2nd, also known as the Commemoration of All the Faithful Departed.

• Informative Informative x 1
  15. Calminian

Site Supporter

Those were the days.

16. Gorship

Gorship Active Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Eat cheap candy and get terrible heartburn

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk

• Funny Funny x 1
  17. Calminian

Site Supporter

Yeah, I'm still learning the hard way. I'm getting a little better at avoiding the total insulin crash.

18. AustinC

AustinC Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Halloween is the best neighborhood fun night of the year. I hand out between 100-150 pieces of candy (1 per person) and play ska music from the Supertones with a strobe light in the tree at a distance so not to affect those who might have epilepsy. It's fun and great to say hi to parents who are walking with their children.

• Like Like x 2
  19. tyndale1946

tyndale1946 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well if I was a Dentist I would put a big sign on my front lawn that said... Kids I never run out of candy!... Then give out gobs of candy, along with my business card... Brother Glen:D

• Funny Funny x 1
  20. Calminian

Site Supporter

When I was anti-halloween, I thought about this a lot. It really is a cool community time when neighbors get to mingle. A lot of people hang out in their front yards with fires giving out candy. My house is of the beat'n path, so I don't get as much traffic, but try to draw in what I can with decorations.

• Like Like x 1