1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

How do you imagine the crucifixion?

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by xdisciplex, Dec 6, 2006.

1. xdisciplex

xdisciplex New Member

I thought about this today. When you have seen the movie the passion then you all have these powerful images in mind. Everything is so bombastic. The cross was so huge, the crowd was so big, the sky was so dark, the blood was so red. Everything was bombastic. But then I thought what if the real crucifixion was nothing like this? What if it wasn't so "bombastic"? What if it looked totally "boring"? I mean what if there was only a small crowd and the cross was also much smaller and it looked like a totally "normal" thing and it wasn't special at all? Would this somehow affect you? When I imagine that Jesus might have been crucified in front of a small crowd on a small hill and it looked like a normal crucifixion which was done all the time then this somehow feels strange because when you think of Jesus being crucified you think of something bombastic, but what if it wasn't bombastic at all? Somehow this is a strange thought. Or imagine Jesus was crucified on a tree in front of 3 people and nobody else saw it or cared would this change anything? I know that this is only a hypothetical question but wouldn't it feel strange somehow?
    Do you think that Jesus' crucifixion was like all other crucifixions or do you think that it was different and that maybe they also had made a special cross for it because some people say that they never carried the whole cross but only the crossbeam. But since Jesus was not a normal person I asked myself if it's not possible that they might not have made a cross for him, which they didn't do with regular criminals.

2. dispen4ever

dispen4ever New Member

xdx, I imagine it was brutal. I imagine horrible suffering. I imagine his exhaustion as he carried his cross. But I don't need to imagine anything. It is written. He was beaten, struck, spat upon, carried his cross or cross-member, was nailed to it, suffered, bled, spoke awesome words like "Tetelestai!", talked to John and his mother, surrendered his spirit, the soldier standing there was moved beyond our imagination ---- I don't need hypotheticals. They go nowhere.

Many years ago I was involved in a political debate in a large crowd. At one point I said to those on the dias, quite loud, "NEVER DEBATE A HYPOTHETICAL!" Within a week politicians all across the country, in news conferences, magazine interviews, and so on, had begun to say "I'm not going to debate a hypothetical."

I'd like to suggest that you talk to someone, a Christian friend, person to person, about ending the hypotheticals that are obvious in so many of your posts, coming from that racing mind of yours. In fact, I can put you in touch with a couple of people like that. Say the word. :thumbs:

3. xdisciplex

xdisciplex New Member

Which kind of people? You mean over the internet?

4. dispen4ever

dispen4ever New Member

They aren't in Germany, xdx. They can talk to you via E-Mail. One is a psychologist, the other a psychiatrist. Both are evangelical Christian.
    :type: