1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

How do you know that God exists?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by rednaut, Jan 12, 2012.

1. agedman

agedman Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    There have been a number of posts showing the wonders of the universe speak of the existence of God. The Psalmist says, "The heavens declare..."

Abraham looked (in my opinion) at the astrological signs and could see the plan of God for the ages written in the heavens. (Gen 15:5,6)

The Scriptures teach that the law of God (basic ten commandments) are imprinted into every person's heart, so that even the atheist have a conscience of God and make unto themselves a god. (Romans 1:18-21)

But how does one prove God exists?

We don't.

The Scriptures teach that God implants faith into a person and that person believes. It is an individual experience to be born again.

Paul said it this way, " Heb 11:6 But without faith it is impossible to please him: for he that comes to God must believe that he is, and that he is a rewarder of them that diligently seek him."

2. Christos doulos

Christos doulos New Member

Inspite the obvious rhetoric. I just know. One day I didn't believe and the next...POOF! It was as if I was in a dark room all my life and never knew it, and then all of a sudden someone turned on the light.

My perspectives changed, my alliances changed, my ideology changed. Everything made sense. No longer was I thinking like the world because I saw the futility in it. I went from liberal minded to God minded.

I am now alien to this world. I don't make sense to the world and the world doesn't make sense to me.

#22 Christos doulos, Jan 13, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 13, 2012
  3. glfredrick

glfredrick New Member

I believe that EVERYONE is born with an innate sense or knowledge of God. (Romans 1 says that, and I have seen plenty of evidence to support the truth of Scripture.)

That sense or knowledge is not "informed" and for that we need a specific revelation, Word, Prophet, Christ, Holy Spirit convicting our spirit.

That the entire world worships SOME form of deity (even athesits, who simply don't want to admit that they are god) is evident. We cannot escape God, but we also cannot "identify" God unless or until He reveals Himself to us, for He is transcendent, "wholly other," and He can only come to us. We cannot go to Him, for we are bounded by our own physical universe, thus, we give thanks and praise to God for revealing Himself to us! Had He not, we would be utterly lost, for our innate sense or knowledge points to God and our sin nature makes us culpable; but without the remedy that is God revealed, and our atonement that is Christ crucified and raised from the dead, and without our filling by the Holy Spirit who convicts and guides, we are lost without hope! Praise God! He gifts us with what we otherwise cannot have!

4. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Here is my consern.... I thought I knew & accepted God however I sinned mightiness ......George Whitefield would say I never really knew or accepted God (I was just going through the motions & living a liers faith). That conviction by Whitefield helped change my life. Now non cals will say that somewhere I accepted Christ but I was a real bad sinner that negated any real belief. What say you?

5. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

You answered the question yourself rednaut.

However, it seems that you put the only scriptural answer that one can give to that question in a negative light.

Why not "fall back" on something that pleases God?

Hebrews 11:6 But without faith it is impossible to please him: for he that cometh to God must believe that he is, and that he is a rewarder of them that diligently seek him.​

OK, in a secondary manner, pursue the evidences to satisfy the intellect, no harm in that, but allow your faith in Him and His works to grow while you seek His person.​

Jude 1:20 But ye, beloved, building up yourselves on your most holy faith, praying in the Holy Ghost.​

HankD​

6. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    (emphasis mine) Carbon dioxide levels have fluctuated dramatically over the centuries. It is surmized that Venus' runaway greehouse effect was due mostly to the evaporation of water, which was then carried away by the solar winds.

#26 Aaron, Jan 13, 2012
  7. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

8. DaChaser1

DaChaser1 New Member

How did you know that your expereiences were of the Lord, and not of man or demonic forces?

On what basis did you judge them on?

9. DaChaser1

DaChaser1 New Member

think that in one sense can "prove" God by the very existence of the universe, and of Life on earth, as what HAD to happen by physical scientific laws would have to be seen as "miracle"

In other sense, God is the one who reveals Himself to us through both jesus and the scriptures, and he takes the initive, so he will be the One to make sure that we "kmow" He exists, as he will work to hios elected Ones to make sure they come to know Him, as in the person of Christ!

10. glfredrick

glfredrick New Member

I say that you could believe all you want, but until God does what only God can and does do, you were yet lost in your separation from God.

Our belief or our faith does not necessarily trigger God's divine action, but it can (we cannot rule that out). God "may" use our own rudimentary faith as part of His effectual call, but that is only one of the particulars required for salvation.

Additionally, where does it ever say that an individual, born again, does not sin? We can and we do. The Word does say that God disciplines His children (sons, harkening back to our legal adoption -- sons, because only sons can inherit). Those who sin after being reborn will see the consequences for that sin in ways that the lost will not, for they are already doomed. What more can come their way?

11. DaChaser1

DaChaser1 New Member

the faith sufficient to save is from God Himself, as jesus is the Godd sheperd, who watches over his flock, the Ones that God Himself gave Him!

We know that the saved by God are the Ones who he opens up their hearts/minds in a spiritual sense to even be able to "prove' God exists to us!

Catch 22 in all of this is that while sinners, still dead spitiually, cannot get enough evidence to "prove" that god exists, as will reject it any ways, but once saved, the HS Himself will witness that truth, and have it confirmed by bible!

12. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Not sure why JesusFan was banned..but why is he allowed to have multiple accounts? "Catch 22" is his pet phrase :)

13. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

Actually you have posed more then one question. One is about why does another believe God is real and the other is why one believes in God. Two totally different things.
    Before being saved I believed God was because of creation, but I also was an agnostic because of so called science. I had questions. I did lean more towards God being real, but I was unsure. It was not until the Lord moved in my life that I was moved to no doubt, and then later became to believe in Him.
    You can read my testimony at my web page if you so desire, but once I was positive He was I not too long after came to faith in Him.

By the way you started this thread and have not answered your own questions. Why do you believe?

#33 freeatlast, Jan 13, 2012
  14. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Yes. I would like to see some response from rednaut.

15. michael-acts17:11

Site Supporter

I have a question for rednaut. Why do you think every culture throughout history has worshiped some form of deity as the source of life & matter? It is only recently that man has rejected the idea of a transcendent "creator" in lieu of the "order from chaos" theory of humanistic evolution.

All men, even the most ardent evolutionist, yearn for knowledge of the Creator. Think about it. Even Richard Dawkins & Stephen Hawking are spending their lives searching for the source of life & the universe. They deny the true God while devoting their lives to discovering why they exist. If they truly believed in the meaningless randomness of existence, they wouldn't be wasting their time looking for meaning & relevance in their own lives.

Does it make it any easier to believe in God if we call Him an intelligent designer or extraterrestrial being who first planted life on earth thousands of years ago? The evidence for the existence of God is overwhelming. His fingerprints are throughout the universe & upon our souls.

16. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Anything we know about God....that He indeed exists,comes from His revelation of himself to us.....by His word....in power.
    He gives all men evidence that He exists in two ways;
    1]creation;
    1The heavens declare the glory of God; and the firmament sheweth his handywork.

2Day unto day uttereth speech, and night unto night sheweth knowledge.

3There is no speech nor language, where their voice is not heard.

4Their line is gone out through all the earth, and their words to the end of the world. In them hath he set a tabernacle for the sun,

5Which is as a bridegroom coming out of his chamber, and rejoiceth as a strong man to run a race.

6His going forth is from the end of the heaven, and his circuit unto the ends of it: and there is nothing hid from the heat thereof.

7The law of the LORD is perfect, converting the soul: the testimony of the LORD is sure, making wise the simple.

2]conscience;
    All men have this knowledge that lets them know there is a God who is there,and to whom they are accountable.

We do not have to abandon the biblical revelation when that is the tool God has given us to give an answer to those who would ask.

All world religions come from unsaved hearts,and demonic influences that resist and supress God's truth
    This has not taken God by surprise. He has determined planned and purposed to save a multitude ...worldwide ....In His Son.
    This covenant purpose is taking place as we speak. It is unstoppable and victorious. Jesus seeks and saves that which is lost.

Yes ...natural, human faith is stupidity. SAVING FAITH..is a God given gift that we are granted at regeneration. IT believes and keeps on believing.

Mere human faith is tainted by mans fall into sin...and is totally depraved in it's worldview....We are to be restored image bearers...thinking God.,thoughts after him.

Proper mental health is being rightly related to God by new birth.
    Any other thought or reality that is outside of God's word is not dealing with reality.
    You need to try and understand God's revelation of His holiness.

This fails because these scientists mostly deny biblical revelation and use an evolutionary model ..like the one sited in this thread....billions of years,etc...which is to be rejected....:thumbsup:

#36 Iconoclast, Jan 13, 2012
  17. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

I did not know that JF was banned, but I thought that DAchaser1 wrote eerily similiar to him. The same city and state to boot. I wanted to say something, but was afraid I'd be wrong.

Hey Brother WB, so much for "great minds think alike", huh? Poking fun at myself, and not you...:laugh:

18. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

IOW, he's busted! He hung himself with his own rope.

19. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

Romans 1 answers this question quite well. Anyone with any common sense can look at the order of everything that sustains life and the universe and know there is an intelligence behind it. It would take an idiot to come to the conclusion this happened on its own. It takes no faith to believe in a Creator. I can understand faith and grace to believe the Gospel, but all it takes to believe that God created everything is eyes and a brain.

20. DaChaser1

DaChaser1 New Member

Jesusfan was not banned in the sense of he was "kicked off" the BB...

was that when his laptop fried and took all of the password info down, switched back to an account hat was set up prior to using the jesusfan moniker!