1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

How do you know that you have the Holy Spirit?

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by xdisciplex, Nov 14, 2006.

1. xdisciplex

xdisciplex New Member

If somebody questioned wether you really have the Holy Spirit then what would you say? I mean how can you tell that you really have him? You cannot x-ray yourself and then you see it. Is there a way to really tell if a person has the Holy Spirit or not?
    You don't see him or feel him. This makes it pretty hard. Isn't this a dumb question when somebody asks you something like "do you really have the holy spirit?"
    What is supposed to happen in this moment? Is the Holy Spirit supposed to jump out of you and say yes or what?
    Or are you supposed to feel a sensation on your body which shows you that you really have him or what? I mean since you don't really notice the Holy Spirit you simply have to believe by faith and simply believe that you have him, right? But when you cannot really detect him and prove that you really have him to somebody else then why would somebody even ask such a question implying that somebody might only think that he has the Holy Spirit without really having him? :confused:

2. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

Romans 8:16 The Spirit itself beareth witness with our spirit, that we are the children of God:

Does He bear witness with your spirit that you are a child of God? (a rhetorical question to all; not an attack against anyone)

3. Claudia_T

Claudia_T New Member

well you would look at what the new testament says is the fruits of the Spirit

4. mman

mman New Member

The same way that I know I have a human spirit. Because God said so (Rom 8:9, James 2:26).

Left to my own devices, I would have no idea that I had a spirit and without that spirit, my body dies.

Likewise, if God had not told me, through His word, I would not know that He has given me His Holy Spirit.

Many folks are decieved or misinformed about this. They think that they have the "gifts" to demonstate they have the Holy Spirit. Those gifts were necessary when Christianity was in its infancy, however now we have the word of God.

Those born blind today, remain blind. Those born deaf, remain deaf. The dead remain dead. Those crippled from birth, remain crippled. To learn a new language to spread the gospel to the lost in other countries, one must study and learn the language.

The miracles were once needed to confirm the message, but the message has been confirmed (Heb 2:3-4).

God's confirmed word is all that is needed to produce faith (Rom 10:17). That same word tells me He has given me His Spirit (Rom 8:9), therefore, the Holy Spirit dwells in my by faith.

5. J. Jump

J. Jump New Member

That is proof that the Spirit is working in you and by default a proof that you have the Spirit, but that is not an absolute proof, because there are those that are saved that are not producing the fruit of the Spirit, but it does not mean they don't have the Spirit in them, it just proves they are not walking in the Spirit, but walking in the flesh.

There is no proof, per se, that one has the Spirit, but there is proof that one is allowing the Spirit to work through their members.

6. Claudia_T

Claudia_T New Member

J Jump,

Hi there, now read this and tell me if you still think people who are walking in the flesh have the Holy Spirit

Gal:5:
    14: For all the law is fulfilled in one word, even in this; Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.
    15: But if ye bite and devour one another, take heed that ye be not consumed one of another.
    16: This I say then, Walk in the Spirit, and ye shall not fulfil the lust of the flesh.
    17: For the flesh lusteth against the Spirit, and the Spirit against the flesh: and these are contrary the one to the other: so that ye cannot do the things that ye would.
    18: But if ye be led of the Spirit, ye are not under the law.
    19: Now the works of the flesh are manifest, which are these; Adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lasciviousness,
    20: Idolatry, witchcraft, hatred, variance, emulations, wrath, strife, seditions, heresies,
    21: Envyings, murders, drunkenness, revellings, and such like: of the which I tell you before, as I have also told you in time past, that they which do such things shall not inherit the kingdom of God.
    22: But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith,
    23: Meekness, temperance: against such there is no law.
    24: And they that are Christ's have crucified the flesh with the affections and lusts.

7. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

Maybe because I don't very real angry when reading the BB??? :rolleyes:

Ed

8. dispen4ever

dispen4ever New Member

:applause: Ed..... :applause:

xdx, you simply need to understand that when you became a Christian you received the Holy Spirit. That promise is in the bible. Don't be troubled by these things. If someone asks you about it, simply say yes, the bible tells me so! :type:

9. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

The evidence of the Holy Spirit is a changed life. :saint:

10. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    How do you know that you have the Holy Spirit?

One way should be by a polygraph test. I Corinthians 12 says "No one can say Jesus is Lord except by the Holy Spirit."

11. Bible-boy

Bible-boy Active Member

Jesus said: "I am the vine, you are the branches. He who abides in Me, and I in him, bears much fruit; for without Me you can do nothing" (John 15:5, NKJV).

Clearly, the text is teaching that if a believer abides in Christ and Christ abides in the believer (through the indwelling power of the Holy Spirit) the believer will bear much fruit. :tonofbricks:

12. J. Jump

J. Jump New Member

You are correct. IF a believer abides in Christ . . . but the reverse of that is also true. IF a believer does not abide in Christ . . .

This not speaking of spiritual salvation, but of works. It is said by Paul in terms of walking in the Spirit or walking in the flesh. We are going to produce works either way, but unless we are walking in the Spirit the works will be wood, hay and stubble.

Good works are not an automatic as most of Christendom teaches.

13. J. Jump

J. Jump New Member

It always amazes me that statments like this are never followed up with Scriptural proof. Wonder why that is?

Amy can you show us in Scripture where a changed life is a 100% given and that believers will automatically do the right thing from the very get go after they are saved?

14. J. Jump

J. Jump New Member

Claudia . . . sorry I missed your post.

But the answer to your question is absolutely the person that is a believer though walking after the flesh still has the Holy Spirit, because all "saved" folks are indwelt by the Holy Spirit. But not all "saved" folks are filled with the Spirit (and no speaking in tongues is not being filled with the Holy Spirit).

Here's a key verse out of your chosen section: This I say then, Walk in the Spirit, and ye shall not fulfil the lust of the flesh.

Paul is commanding his readers to be walking in the Spirit. If walking in the Spirit is an automatic, meaning that once we are saved that is the only thing we can do then why would Paul have to command his readers to walk in the Spirit? That doesn't make an ounce of sense.

You don't command someone to do something they are going to do anyway.

Paul is commanding his readers and us to walk in the Spirit, becuase there is an option of not walking in the Spirit, which is walking in the flesh. And he tells us what happens if we do not walk in the Spirit we will give way to our flesh.

And then he goes so far as to tell us what our flesh is capable of doing if it is allowed to rule our walk.

15. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Statements like "wonder why that is" imply that you think I have no scriptural evidence for my statement and therefore I'm just giving an opinion. You may not realize it, but you sound disrespectful and accusatory. The word trinity doesn't appear in scripture, but that doesn't mean it doesn't exist. It's common sense that if God's spirit comes to dwell in you that your life cannot stay the same, but for your benefit here are some scriptures.
    Acts 2:14 Peter went from being scared and confused to being a mighty preacher.
    Romans 8:16 We know we're children of God
    1 John 3:24 We keep His commandments
    1 John 4:12 We have love for the brethren
    1 John 4:13 We have assurance
    1 John 2:27 Able to understand scripture
    I can only speak for myself, but I did not do any of these things before I received the Holy Spirit. So, yes my life changed!

#15 Amy.G, Nov 16, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 16, 2006
  16. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

I wish you would have finished what you believe the converse to be saying. The contrapositive is always true, the converse and inverse are not always.

We see that if a believer abides in Christ they bear much fruit. It doesn't say that a believer who doesn't abide bears no fruit.

17. J. Jump

J. Jump New Member

Amy I meant no disrespect by my question. I just find it funny that folks that believe like you do always post these pie in the sky statements and yet they are never followed up with Scripture and when you ask for Scripture it is never given.

You have done more than most and I will address the Scripture that you have posted.

Again my apology is offered to you as I meant no disrespect to you as an individual.

Absolutely correct.

Sorry, but I don't base my beliefs on common sense. I base my beliefs on what Scripture has to say. And unfortunately you are correct in the saying that your belief that a life is 100% guaranteed to change is the common belief, but misguided according to Scripture.

Now let's take a look at your Scriptures:

So are you saying that Peter wasn't saved until this point in history? Because by my understanding of your belief the Holy Spirit changes a person's life after they are saved.

Here is the actual verse: The one who keeps [SIZE=-1]R164[/SIZE] His commandments abides [SIZE=-1]R165[/SIZE] in Him, and He in him. We [SIZE=-1]R166[/SIZE] know by this that He [SIZE=-1]R167[/SIZE] abides in us, by the Spirit whom He has given us.

It doesn't say all Christians are changed by the Holy Spirit after salvation. It says that the one who keeps His commandments abides in Him. It doesn't say that all Christians keep the commandments.

Again here is the actual verse: No [SIZE=-1]R200[/SIZE] one has seen God at any time; if we love one another, God abides in us, and His love [SIZE=-1]R201[/SIZE] is perfected in us.

Seems you missed the big word IF. It doesn't say we will, it says IF we do.

I not address the last two because it is more of the same. Of course we have assurance, but that doesn't mean that the Holy Spirit changes every Christian's life. And of course we are able to understand Scripture, but that doesn't prove the point you are trying to sell.

Bottom line is there is no Scriptural proof that says the Holy Spirit is guaranteed to change your life. If it was an absolute guarantee then there would be no need for Paul to command us to walk in the Spirit, becuase that is what we would do automatically. There would be no need to command us to curcifiy the flesh or mortify the deeds of the body.

The bottom line is Scripture tells us that we can either walk in the Spirit and have our lives constantly formed to the image of Christ, or we can walk after the flesh and live in a reality of constant defeat even though we don't have to.

And here's just one of many, many, many examples both OT and NT of this Truth . . . just take the parable of the pounds and/or talents. You have a servant (saved) individual that does absolutely nothing with what he is given. There is absolutely no change in that person whatsoever.

So my question back to you is how do you reconcile the need to be commanded to walk in the Spirit and the example of the servant that wasn't changed with your belief that it is an absolute that the Holy Spirit is going to change your life whether you want Him to or not?

18. J. Jump

J. Jump New Member

It doesn't have to be said, because it is a given. If a person is not abiding in Christ, meaning they are not walking in the Spirit it is an impossible task for them to bear fruit that is considered worthy.

They are going to bear fruit, but it will be rotten fruit.

19. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Apology accepted. :1_grouphug:

So, what are you saying J.? That when God indwells the believer there is no change? Is God ineffective? Why would God indwell a person if there was going to be no change? What would be the point?
    Your point about common sense doesn't make sense. (no pun intended):laugh: I use common sense when I read the scriptures about Jesus being the "door" or the "gate". I don't really think He's a door! I don't have to go looking up verses to prove He's not a door or a gate.

20. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

The converse of a statement is never given. The possibility remains that the believer not abiding in Christ will bear little fruit. Christ prunes the branches to produce more fruit...not to produce some fruit.