1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

How do you know?

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by PastorMark, Feb 24, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PastorMark

PastorMark Member

This may have been discussed before, but I am relatively new here, so forgive me if this is a repeat.

I see that many of the members here use and study various interpretations of the Bible. When you find verses in different versions that say different things, or when one version has a verse and another version leaves it out, how do you know which is correct?

Pastor Mark.

2. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I study the manuscript evidence.

3. Linda64

Linda64 New Member

I agree Pastor Mark--

That's why I use only ONE translation, the KJV. I studied Bible versions on my own some years ago--and I now use the KJV by conviction, not just by preference. I'm not saying that everyone MUST use the KJV, however I would recommend that everyone study the Bible versions for themselves and come to their own conclusions.

That is the reason why using more than one version is confusing to me.

4. TCassidy

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    But, Linda64, you didn't answer the question. How do you know the KJV is correct and the others are incorrect?

And how can you claim it is a conviction when convictions are based on what the bible says and the bible never says "only the KJV is correct?"

5. Diggin in da Word

Diggin in da Word New Member

I use the KJV. The Holy Spirit bears witness with my spirit that this version is correct.

6. TCassidy

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    What if somebody else says "I use the NWT. The Holy Spirit bears witness with my spirit that this version is correct." ??

How would you respond to that?

7. Scott J

Scott J Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Like Doc Cassidy, I look for whatever info I can find on the evidence behind the variant.

I approach them both in faith seeking the truth. But I also cross reference. Does the presence or absence of a particular phrase call a belief into question? On things where God has left doubt, I try to follow the advice of the KJV translators and avoid speaking as if certain. Where God has made it clear regardless through repetition, I stand with certainty.

I have yet to see a fundamental doctrine presented that stands or falls on the differences between the KJV and other faithful translations like the NASB, ASV, NKJV, or WEB.

8. Scott J

Scott J Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Using more than one version is need not be any more confusing than having a translator translate a foreign phrase in more than one way so you can clearly grasp the intent of the message. The only people who seem to be confused by it are those whose predetermined bias fates them to it.

9. Diggin in da Word

Diggin in da Word New Member

I would say, 'The spirit of the NWT attests that Christ died on a pole instead of a cross. Yet History plainly shows that crosses were used for crucifixion in that time period. You are listening to a spirit alright, but not the Holy Spirit'

10. TaterTot

TaterTot Guest

manuscript evidence [​IMG] . That came before any versions did.

11. Johnv

Johnv New Member

The Holy Spirit doesn't convict people to use a single tralnation out of that translation being correct. If the Holy Spirit convicts people to use a specific translation, it's out of that translation speaking to that specific person. That doesn't mean that the translation in question is any more or less correct than another.

12. TaterTot

TaterTot Guest

(that could also apply to other debated issues, i.e. hair, dresses, etc) good point

13. TCassidy

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    So, you are saying that the Spirit bears witness with your spirit but not with anybody's who disagrees with you? Do you think the Holy Spirit is unable to bear witness with someone's spirit other than yours?

14. TCassidy

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    So, are you saying the KJV is wrong with it says, in Act 5:30, "The God of our fathers raised up Jesus, whom ye slew and hanged on a tree?"
    So, again I ask, are only your choices Holy Spirit guided, and nobody elses?

15. TomVols

TomVols New Member

What if somebody else says "I use the NWT. The Holy Spirit bears witness with my spirit that this version is correct." ??

How would you respond to that?
    </font>[/QUOTE]Exactly. This kind of subjectivism is killing our churches on all kinds of issues.

16. David J

David J New Member

“Yet for all that it cannot be dissembled...[that] it hath pleased God in his diuine prouidence, heere and there, to scatter wordes and sentences of that difficultie and doubtfulnesse, not in doctrinal points that concerne saluation (for in such it hath beene vouched that the Scriptures are plaine) but in matters of lesse moment, that fearfulnesse would better beseeme vs than confidence. . .and to resolue upon modestie....There be many words in Scripture, which be neuer found there but once. ..there be many rare names of certaine birds, beastes and precious stones, &c. concerning which the Hebrews themselves are so divided among themselves...so to determine of such things as the Spirit of God hath left (euen in thejudgement of the iudicious) questionable, can be no lesse than presumption. Therefore as S. Augustine saith, that varietie of Translations is profitable for the finding out of the sense of the Scriptures; so diuersitie of signification and sense in the margine, where the text is not so cleare, must needes doe good, yea, is necessary, as we are perswaded....They that are wise, had rather haue their judgements at libertie in differences of readings, then to be captiuated to one, when it may be the other.”

17. DeclareHim

DeclareHim New Member

I would agree with everyone else. I don't believe any English translation is inerrant. When I have a question I consult the mss evidence. Generally the UBS 4th Edition.

18. PastorMark

PastorMark Member

So would you say that a person who only speaks and reads English can not know exactly what God's word says?

Pastor Mark.

19. DeclareHim

DeclareHim New Member

They can know what God's Word says. The NIV has very few mistakes the KJV has very few mistakes but both do contain them. Neither contain mistakes that relate to doctrine but they still contain errors. Why? Because men produced them. And men aren't perfect. In fact God said He would preserved His Word if you believe He made that promise you either believe He did it in the Greek or God has failed to keep His Word.

20. David J

David J New Member

The same thing that I would say to someone who can not understand the KJV or NASB.

Study the Word. Read different translations. Take the advice of the KJV translators. [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.