1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

How do you respond to the holier than thou's

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by JMSR, Feb 9, 2010.

1. paul wassona

paul wassona New Member

You'd best go back and read Acts 2 again.

2. paul wassona

paul wassona New Member

Where did I say the gift was anything but the Holy Spirit?

Charismatics believe the "gift" was speaking in tongues. We both know it was the Comforter that is the gift.

By the Charismatic definition of "tongues" we see in Acts 2 the evidences directly against thioer definition. There was no interpretor and everyone present heard them speak in their OWN tongue.:type:

To conclude some one as "holier than thou" is to judge them. I just hope it is done in light of the bible and with love shed abroad in your hearts. I haven't seen that from anyone who outright accuses people of it though. In fact, I just got finished reporting a couple of psots where that person has accused others members of being "holier than thou" in an obvious mean spirited way:type:

3. paul wassona

paul wassona New Member

Not real Christianity isn't a madhouse. Children of God are peacemakers, not troublemakers.:1_grouphug:

4. David Michael Harris

David Michael Harris Active Member

I somewhat agree but can we ever find the perfect fellowship.

This is bugging me at the moment actually. I so much want a good church but they are either too stiff or too loose. Most I have known are worldly and think about their homes and possessions, etc etc.

To be honest I cannot comment truthfully now. We need leaders I think.

5. paul wassona

paul wassona New Member

I'll help you pray about that.

Lead, by all means LEAD!:thumbs:

6. David Michael Harris

David Michael Harris Active Member

:) as I fall flat on my face.

7. Heiress

Heiress New Member

i sometimes find myself leaning between southern baptist and then the fundamental baptists. I like that the fundamentals are more on fire for God and are serious about his Word and want to do right, but i also see a lacking in community outreach beyond knocking on doors and giving out tracks. Also the rules, some, seem man-made and separating. I was raised in a southern baptist, but over the years i see that they are slowly becoming more wordly, and although accept people openly, seem to shy away from offending them as well when it comes to standing firm on what the bible says.

8. Steven2006

Steven2006 New Member

Good post, I agree with a lot of it.

9. paul wassona

paul wassona New Member

I only agree on a general application with what Heiress said, Some SB's I know are very separated. I know many IFB churches. Some have great outreaches, some are too busy preaching in their "fish tank". I have learned when people are so dividing by whatever they think is to avoid them like they have some contagious disease. If they are truly "holy" they may have standards unlike others, but they still treat the junkie like they treat anyone else with the same kindness.

10. dcorbett

dcorbett Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I was raised by a Southern Baptist deacon. I grew up going to church every time the doors were open, and I was saved in 1964 in a Southern Baptist church. I have watched the SBC get more worldly throughout the years, accepting of wordly ways, and when I couldn't take it anymore, (The Southern Baptist church I belonged to at the time was going to praise hymns and stage skits with dramatic lightring, etc rather than traditional hymns and regular services) convicted by the Holy Spirit, I joined an Independent Fundamental Baptist church, finding the basis again in the Word of God instead of what I observed as an attempt to please men. I know that SBC churches still preach salvation, but I myself am satisfied that I am in a Bible-believing church that is done in the traditional style, the old hymns, and the invitation at the end of a gospel-filled sermon.

I am not saying that there is only one way to do things, but this is what I was convicted to do.

11. dcorbett

dcorbett Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Philippians 3: 14-21
    14I press toward the mark for the prize of the high calling of God in Christ Jesus.
    15Let us therefore, as many as be perfect, be thus minded: and if in any thing ye be otherwise minded, God shall reveal even this unto you.
    16Nevertheless, whereto we have already attained, let us walk by the same rule, let us mind the same thing.
    17Brethren, be followers together of me, and mark them which walk so as ye have us for an ensample.
    18(For many walk, of whom I have told you often, and now tell you even weeping, [that they are] the enemies of the cross of Christ:
    19Whose end [is] destruction, whose God [is their] belly, and [whose] glory [is] in their shame, who mind earthly things.)
    20For our conversation is in heaven; from whence also we look for the Saviour, the Lord Jesus Christ:
    21Who shall change our vile body, that it may be fashioned like unto his glorious body, according to the working whereby he is able even to subdue all things unto himself.

and....

Ephesians 5: 11-12
    11And have no fellowship with the unfruitful works of darkness, but rather reprove [them].
    12For it is a shame even to speak of those things which are done of them in secret.