1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

How do YOU study the Bible?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Jkdbuck76, Mar 18, 2012.

1. Jkdbuck76

Jkdbuck76 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

With a highlighter?
    Do you take notes?
    Do you read a section multiple times?
    Do you pray first?

How do you personally study God Word? What is your personal method?

2. asterisktom

asterisktom Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Certainly prayer, though I guess I vary when I do it.

Definitely no highlighter. And not any pen either, because they tend to leak to the other side. For the last twenty years or so I have usually used pencil. And that is a good thing too, because I have had to erase some things I used to believe.

I almost always read Old Testament with New Testament. Every time I find more and more connections that went unnoticed the previous time through. I also keep a chart of books read for each year. I do this so I do not begin to favor some books over others (though I read NT about 2 times as often as OT).

I often do an in-depth study of one book, reading it many times. I did this with Isaiah, reading it several times in English and once in LXX.

I probably went into more detail than you wanted, but it is a good topic you chose.

3. padredurand

padredurand Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I stopped using a highlighter. It was making a mess of the screen on my laptop. :type:

4. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

First thing, I open my bible; I can't see through the cover ya know...:D

Actually I do all of those. I have a bible I bought at the local Dollar Store a few years ago, that has more marks, notes, highlights, than a wall of grafitti.

Personally speaking, I pray for God to give me His knowledge, and what He wants me to know about Him.

5. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

I use whiteout in my studies. When I find a verse, or word, that doesn't agree with me, I blot it out. :D J/K

6. Tom Bryant

Tom Bryant Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    In terms of personal Bible study, I try to do it in 2 parts. First, I try to get thru the Bible totally every 6 months. It's more of a "don't stop, just read" method. 2nd, I try to study a book which means i read thru it multiple times to get the why the book was written and the major divisions and ideas. For that part, I take notes.

In terms of prayer, I am doing that throughout the study.

7. Alive in Christ

Alive in Christ New Member

By reading it...as the word of God, given to me...and heeding it.

Encorporating its truthes into my life and lifestyle.

8. LillyoftheValley

LillyoftheValley New Member

Just as a quick side note to those of you who like to highlight but don't because of bleed through... use a colored pencil and shade. I've heard of people also using a crayon, but you can't erase those of course. Just thought I'd share

#8 LillyoftheValley, Apr 16, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 16, 2012
  9. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Pray before reading the text, asking the Holy Spirit to give me his illumination...

then prefer to read a whole book at a time, right now in daniel...

read it several times, than focus on a chapter in detail...

looking for common words/themes/doctrines etc

write those down, and go into the bible software to look up those greek words, and then look at the Greek text itself...

Finally, read the book in a good survey/introduction, then a coomentary!

Important to do all reasding/study before going into bible surveys/commentaries etc!

10. DiamondLady

DiamondLady New Member

Yes to all of the above. I also will do a word by word study, a verse by verse study...depending upon how what I am studying at the moment calls to me.

I may stop and read with different emphasis...THE Lord is my Shepherd. The LORD is my Shepherd. The Lord IS my Shepherd and find what each emphasis says about that passage. I never pass up a word I do not know or understand...I stop and look it up in Strongs or Vines or even a plain old Webster's. I use a Thompson Chain Reference Bible so I may follow the chain to see where that leads.

As for highlighters, there are wonderful dry highlighters available for Bible Study and they come in several colors. Don't bleed through and can be erased, if necessary. I write in my Bible, I also keep a study journal for longer thoughts and messages from God. You never know when a Sunday School lesson will come from what you are reading and you'll need space to write it all down.