1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

How Do you View Joyce meyer?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by DaChaser1, Jan 26, 2012.

1. mont974x4

mont974x4 New Member

Kay really exudes a love for Christ, a reverence for the Word, and a heart for the people of God.

2. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

I heard someone quote Ghandi saying he would have become a Christian if he'd ever met one. We are our own worst enemy. :tear:

3. agedman

agedman Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Gandhi

"Oh, I don't reject Christ. I love Christ. It's just that so many of you Christians are so unlike Christ."

“If Christians would really live according to the teachings of Christ, as found in the Bible, all of India would be Christian today"

Unfortunately, it is reported that Gandhi being turned away from a church was when it was finally settled in him that Christianity as conducted by Christians was fake.

4. Brads70

Brads70 New Member

I'll just say I don't get a warm fuzzy feeling about her.....:smilewinkgrin:

5. preacher4truth

preacher4truth Active Member

I'd say that Ghandi had the same beiefs in Christ that many in the church have, that He was anemic, wishy-washy, mushy, beat around, tolerant, politically correct, milquetoast, and a pushover, which is contrary to Scripture.

His assessment fails. There are many true believers out there, and he's ran into them, he just didn't like their brand, he had his own presuppositions of what they should be.

- Peace

6. govteach51

govteach51 New Member

I don't either, and do not understand her following...

7. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

People follow her because they like having their ears tickled.

8. Christos doulos

Christos doulos New Member

I heard the same story. That is like saying, Jesus I love, but His bride? not so much.

Trust me when I say, Ghandi had some serious issues. Christians were the least of his problems

#28 Christos doulos, Jan 26, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 26, 2012
  9. righteousdude2

righteousdude2 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I Have a Saying...

...if it walks like a duck; talks like a duck; looks like a duck; it is probably a duck!

In plain terms, Joyce is a good teacher, but she if WOF and hangs around with the WOF crowds. She is also on TBN, and that is usually a sign that she is in that crowd.

Proceed with caution. That doesn't mean some of what she says isn't good and worth tasting (as Scriptural food), just be aware of the truth and be able to discern the fact from the fiction.

10. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I would describe it more as grating and gravelly.

11. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

She has passion even if it misdirected. The problem is in contrast to the passionless preaching and teaching, and holy water given in churches each Sunday. She appears full of passion while others do not. Most people are misled by a person full of passion and fail to listen to someone who may have conviction and passion but not the same style. Too many confuse passion with substance. When I have tried to give reasons for how I interpreted a passage I cannot begin to tell you how many have told me to just tell them what they need to know. People do not want to listen and be taught but rather they want interaction even if they are lazy and ignorant.

For several years I have been teaching people some basic hermeneutics on how to interpret scripture. Years ago people welcomed the information> Now I find that there are those who complain about the book saying it is too difficult. The book I use is often used for people with a high school diploma. Even college graduates complain. That did not happen years ago.

Too mnay times in the past I have been in Sunday School class and the teacher will ask, "What does it mean to you?" It is not "What does it mean to you?" but rather "What does it mean?" Wanting the correct interpretation of a text is not subjective but rather truth.

#31 gb93433, Jan 26, 2012
  12. preacher4truth

Yes, she entertains while preaching a false Gospel message. Just what the people ordered.

13. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

It may not always be what the people ordered but a contrast to the passionless truthless preaching they have been hearing.

14. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

I don't view her.
    I did have a neighbor once that did and apart from talking to me, it was the only exposure to Christ she would accept. No clue what happened with her since she ended up moving away, but I didn't down her for listening then, figured if that's who reached her, so be it.

I saw bits and pieces once or twice when I was standing in her living room. Didn't see anything that made me want to see more.

I'm pretty wary of anyone on television that is preaching exclusively in a regular spot. Too much emphasis on show and wearing expensive stuff and pleading for money. Seems more like a business than a ministry in any that I've run across so I don't bother.

15. preacher4truth

It is a contrast but this doesn't equate to passionless preaching being truthless.

Do you have a specific example of a preacher who is preaching a truthless message, and doing it without passion, or are you just being hypothetical?

It sounds to me you'd advise one to hear a false Gospel message because at least it had "drive." It's the same thing as getting ones ears tickled.

16. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

This is her passion.

17. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

My mother in law started going to church because she had questions and asked her unsaved neighbor and then asked me later. God used my dialog about God with a fellow student who was not a believer. When I was a physics major I noticed that there were constants in the formulas and that grabbed my attention. I said to the student "doesn't that get your attention? He said No. I told him that it told me there was a God that could be counted on. He walked away and I was surprised. God used that to get my attention and think some more. I came to the conclusion that there is a God.

I tend to think that God uses bits and pieces of what is said even if parts are not always right. If He did not then no preacher would be used of God because no preacher is perfectly studied without flaws when he begins pastoring.

18. preacher4truth

I'd hardly call her passion misdirected. I'd call it straight out heresy. As a matter of fact, I will; She's a heretic.

To Amy, she needs more money too, and if we believe like her, we would all have the things she has according to her message.

I sit in wonder as others pander to her, implying that because she's passionate, then that justifies it. That's pragmatism gone mad.

What we really need is for preachers to stand up against this nonsense instead of appeasing it and pandering to them.

Ridiculous. And people wonder why their people aren't exited about their ministry. Wonder no longer.

19. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

God can use any means He desires, even false teachers. If He can make a donkey talk.....well, you get the idea.

That doesn't mean that we should accept any and all teachers/preachers because "some" of what they say is good. The best lie is the one mixed with truth.

20. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

I personally knew a pastor who was a trustee at Baylor and SWBTS who plagiarized sermons each week. I have heard a few pastors tell me personally that they basically need to give a sermon on Sunday. A lady I met told me that while she was growing up in a KJVO church she knew what the preacher would say and believed but knew very little about the Bible. She was surprised when she started going to another church and noticed that people talked about scripture and what they were learning.

How many pastors do you know in your association who graduated from seminary with whom you have dialog with about the Greek text? That shows how well they have kept up and grew in their skills. When I was in seminary I was amazed at how many current pastors at the time who told me they never use their Greek NT. That made me more determined more than ever to keep up.

With skills and an attitude like that how can the pastor grow personally? Pastoring is more than pastoring/counseling skills but leading in teaching and growing in their love for and knowledge of God. Doing and studying leads to a greater maturity.

One of the passions I have and fail to see in so many chruches is a deliberate effort to make disciples as prescribed by Jesus. Too many have followed the lecture system method in the educational system. It is the poorest method of making sure students learn inn such a way that they can teach others. How many pastors do you know who do as Jesus did in making disciples as seen in the Gospels (such as sending them out two by two)? It seems to me that too much is left to time and chance. Jesus had three years. How many disciples are made within a time frame of three years. I know some but not very many. It is easy to be busy about giving sermons even those that have been the result of good study but it is far more difficult to ensure that every believer is given the opportunity to be discipled and make disciples. How many churches go after the one who got away? In so many 2/3 of the membership roll do not attend.

No. How can one have real drive and passion without knowing God, unless it is a show of entertainment. My point is that truth combats error. However I believe that I have grown and am better equipped now than I was years ago. Yet when I look back God used me in some mighty ways despite my ignorance and immaturity. The objective should be to be perfect in doing and doctrine. My limited information, time in the Bible, and service limits how well I know God. So I can only preach and teach what I know at the moment.

As I read some sermons from a few centuries I thought about how faulty some of their theology wass but also how God used them.

#40 gb93433, Jan 26, 2012