1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

How do you witness to a Mormon?

Discussion in 'Evangelism, Missions & Witnessing' started by Gina B, Apr 24, 2001.

1. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

I've found that many Christians I know refuse to even speak to a Mormon missionary when they knock on their doors. This is a very scary thing to me. How many people hare know anything about the LDS church, and has anyone tried to witness to a member lately? (or two members-they usually come in pairs [​IMG] )

2. Will

Will New Member

Gina,

I have witnessed to the Mormons in the past when they have come to my door (something they don't seem to do anymore.) My experiences have been that they are prepared for Christians witnessing to them (they must go through training for this prior to their being sent out into the mission field.) When discussing the book of Mormon, they will quickly try to go on the offensive attacking the Bible, almost like skeptics do. An example is that they question where the book of Mark should be ended at, therefore implying the Bible has been changed so why not the book of Mormon as an addition as well. So to witness to them, you should be very well versed in apologetics, something I strongly believe Christians need for witnessing to postmodern/post-Christian skeptics anyway.

A book on the subject is "Questions to Ask Your Mormon Friend" by Bill McKeever and Eric Johnson. I haven't read this book but did hear the authors being interviewed for 2 hours. They know the Mormon world very well and how Christians can witness to Mormons.

3. Joy

Joy New Member

I was thinking along the very same lines as Will. The Mormons, the JW's, and any other cult are prepared to make you defend your faith. They are very good at placing doubts in your mind, which is why they boast that their pews are filled with ex-Baptists. Baptists,and all Christians for that fact, need to be grounded in their doctrine. They need to be always studying, not just reading the Daily Bread, but studying the Word of God, so that they may be ready to give an answer.

One of their tactics is to always have two people when they are soliciting. Usually one is more skilled than the other one in the presentation of their doctrine. Sometimes you can tell which one is weaker, or in training, by noticing which one is not doing the talking. That's the one to ask questions to. The idea is to make them be the ones to start doubting. It takes a great deal of skill, and like Will said, knowledge of apologetics, or the defense of the Faith to deal with these cults.

4. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

That's very true. Although it may sound like a bad way to handle things, I think if a Christian isn't very familiar with the LDS doctrine AND why it's wrong, they probably shouldn't do much beyond handing them a tract on true salvation and leaving it at that.
    But what I would just love to see happen is that we become very familiar with every other religion. Especially this one, as it seems to be the fastest growing thing since mold. It's sad to me that many Christians will not study other religions, since they don't apply to them. We are waging war for Jesus here, and no good soldier will go into battle without knowing everything he can about the opposing side.
    And what better solution to a war is there than to have the opposing side join ours?

5. SPAM

SPAM New Member

Interesting this subject has come up. Just last week, I had to make a decision concerning my 9 year old daughter. Her closest neighborhood friend "was" a 13 year old girl who is actively mormon.

Upon understanding she was in fact mormon, I kept a very close eye on their friendship. Often, I would explain to my daughter the differences between mormonisn and christianity; and that Jesus is not their messiah. Even though my daughter is only 9, she is extremely intelligent and versed in the scripture. The Lord has gifted her with a voice to sing and spiritually she is light years ahead of kids her age. She has led 2 to the Lord recently and at least 5 in the last 2 years.

Anyway, I had made the determination that my daughter could handle the situation. Through keeping a close eye, instructing my daughter on the differences, then understanding the 13 year old is a bit backwards, intellectually, the friendship continued. {those that have known sheltered kids know how they don't seem to fit in with kids their own age; in fact seem to be running a few years behind. My wife and I have been careful to keep close tabs on them being together; even had a meeting with her to explain the rules.}

I simply made her aware that if she wanted to be friends with my daughter that she must keep her religion out of their discussions.

Well, it didn't happen, of course. Just last week, in our mail box, was a book of mormon addressed to my daughter. I have intructed my daughter to cut ties and I sent the book back to her with a kind, but firm note explaining that she crossed the line and that she needs Jesus or one day, she would spend eternity in hell.

Very tough situation for my daughter. She was crying in prayer for her friend just last evening. But, I have found it consistent with what was said already, these folks are trained very well in their cult; they will push you to disbelief if you give them the chance.

Witness to them? Never have seen a successful attempt; not saying it isn't possible, but doing so could be playing with fire without the leading of the Spirit.

Much prayer would be suggested, before any attempt is made.

6. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

There is a very good place in California called ex-Mormons for Jesus. Charlotte, who heads it up, is a great person, and she has a lot of great info. on the religion and how to deal with them. They do have a very low budget, so I would suggest sending a donation with requests to help them out. They have a newsletter, and you can call in and ask questions too. I'll look up their address and post it on here.
    I'm just curious. Did you also make it a rule that your daughter not discuss her religion with her friend?

7. SPAM

SPAM New Member

Gina, I knew someone would bite on this one.

Why would I have my daughter quiet about the only hope this girl has? Better yet, why would you ask unless you are just trying to critique my decision? Equal rights to "ALL" religious discussions or something along those lines?

Do you now think it unfair that I allowed my daughter to discuss Jesus over Joseph Smith?

Just curious! :cool:

8. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

Ok. Perhaps it would work better to have supervised their visits instead of saying my daughter can't be friends with you because of your religion.
    This way you could explain things to your daughter when they came up.
    Or instead, taught her about the religion and why it's wrong and why we don't believe in it.
    Now she has a "forbidden subject, and what is the first thing she's going to do when she has doubts about her own?
    Sooner or later she will have to deal with all sorts of religions. If she is smart enough to be able to Biblically explain the plan of salvation to others and has a basic understanding of what she believes, she should be able to have pointed out to her the errors in others beliefs.
    From a parents point of view, it would be hard to have been in your situation. From a biblical view.......well, I'll try not to judge.
    But I have really enjoyed your other posts!

9. SPAM

SPAM New Member

Gina, I appreciate your input; really I do. Better yet, I appreciate your concern on this topic; it truly is a very important topic for all christians to be versed on. I also understand that parents make decisions from time to time that other parents may or may not agree with. Up until the book of mormons appeared in our maibox, I was assured that mormonism was not discussed between my daughter and her. My daughter knew when she saw the book that it was coming because I told her to expect it. But, as any parent, or at least any parent that is paying attention, they better know the capabilities of their children than anyone else. I do understand that reading dialogue like this throws up a BIG RED FLAG: would for me too. But, suffice it to say that supervision was always a part of the scenario. There are many more details to explain, and if you are interested, I'd be happy to explain them all; if it will be of any help at all.

Let me riiterate my stance on this subject however. If you are to take up a discussion of a religious nature with a cultic group like the mormon religion, please be cautious. As was stated earlier, they generally are prepared with one experienced person tagging along with an amateur.

Gina, I am sure you could handle it, with God's help. Did this question arise due to you knowing someone that is a mormon? Or maybe a family member?

I know you know this, but the bible says we should always be ready to give an answer. Still, being ready, I firmly is be prayed up on the subject. True, a lot of times they hit you at the most inopportune time, but it behooves us all to be "ready".

I am praying for you as I hope you will for me along these lines, because I know this is far from over.

Godspeed,
    Paul {spam} :cool:

10. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

Actually that is very true. I was involved in the church, and I took my daughters there. Try explaining that to your kids! I guess you could say it just tears me up to see intolerance of other religions, because I've dealt with being told I couldn't be around Christian friends, and at the time it only made me hate them and think I was the one who was correct because they were showing such hatred. After a while of true Christians showing me in a loving yet firm manner what was wrong, and me studying out carefully those reasons, that I was saved.
    Religionitis hurts as much as racism.

11. Joy

Joy New Member

Gina, I understand where you are coming from. As a mother, I don't wish to teach my chldren intolerance or persecution just because of someone else's religeon. There are Biblical grounds for the decision that Paul made, though.

In the Old Testament, the Jews were not allowed to intermingle with the Gentiles. It causes confusion, doubts, intermarriage, rebelion, and eventually worship of other gods. There were severe penalties of you broke God's laws concerning this. Many times, the Jews were instructed to utterly destroy God's enemies. ( Not that we should go this far today, but it shows how serious God takes this.)

In the New Testament, the Bible tells us not to be unequally yoked together with unbelievers. This includes marriages, but it also includes "kindred spirit" type relationships, and business arrangements such as partnerships as well.

It is our duty to protect our children at all cost. Our children should be taught to be friendly and to be bold enough to share the gospel. Sometimes this means befriending the unsaved, but not making bosom buddies. If kindred spirits are beginning to develop, then I would agree to begin to limit contact. Your childs destiny is your resonsibility, even over the children of the ungodly. As with any youngsters, saved or otherwise, parents should always supervise. In our home, or one we are visiting, I do not allow closed bedroom doors, ever.

As parents, we need to ever be vigilent and in prayer for the right balance when teaching our children to witness. Completely isolating them for 18 years is not the answer either.

One more thing, and then I'll quit :D- the media is the author of intolerance. God does not tolerate some things, and we as Christians need to go along with that, no matter how much the media cries "foul". Yes it hurts, but I believe that truly, Christians being intolerable of sin, is more convicting than it is hurting. That is why they can't stand our intolerance. It is really God's intolerance that is convicting them.

(note- it is never right to teach hatred, or to hurt physically those who we do not agree with-that should go without say. Hate the sin, love the sinner.)

12. SPAM

SPAM New Member

Gina, I understand some of the pain you experience for even within the baptist faith I have experienced rejection, when not merited. Religious zealots, sadly, are in good majority of our churches: Jesus called these folks pharisees.

For your pain from the past, how I wish I could help relieve it somehow. If you knew me, you would understand how serious I am.

My children are a gift from above and there are times that decisions, tough decisions are made to protect them from evils; I am speaking to a mother so you understand. But, if I was to teach my children indifference to others for religion or race, where would my ministry take me? I know you understand that Jesus conquered all those divisions while here and it's up to us to grasp that. I can with all honesty say that racism doesn't have a place in my life, nor does the theology that someone is owed something due to their skin pigment. Don't agree with people who for one reason or another show prejudice, especially if they refer to themselves as "christian". And, from the neck of the woods where I was born and raised and still reside, taking this view causes me to be somewhat of the exception.

Gina, thank God you are one of His and that we can call each other family. Let me encourage you to take you experience and use it to further the kingdom. I have found that if you don't, the pain lingers and takes a greater toll.

In Him,
    Paul {spam} [​IMG]

13. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

Ex-Mormons For Jesus
    226 W. Chapman Ave.
    P.O. Box 489
    Orange, CA. 92856
    They have stated on their last newsletter that they are cutting their mailing list down due to lack of funds. I would suggest that anyone with the means become familiar with the great work they are doing and send a little something to help keep them going. They are a non-profit organization. They hold support groups, help those who are Mormon, those who have been, and those who are witnessing to them.
    Their phone number is (714)-997-3498
    Fax is: (714)-997-3651
    E-mail is: [email protected]

14. SPAM

SPAM New Member

Gina, what was the determining factor/who was responsible for helping you to come to Christ?

I've heard the remark, more than once, about how the mormon pews are lined with former baptists. I have seen several folks from my past being part of this exodus. A couple were extremely close to my family: now they preach a different message.

The thing that saddens me is not that they are leaving the baptists, Lord knows some wear the baptist tag like Ichobod. The thing that concerns me is Matthew chapter 7. Not everyone that says Lord, Lord, will enter the kingdom. The folks I know that have joined the mormon church, at one time, were on fire for God, evident by the fruit they reaped. Now, they are so drenched in that belief, they will not listen. They are either extremely deceived and confused now, or they never were saved to begin with.

My stance against the mormons and any other cult is 0 tolerance. I know this seems hard, but they are a dangerous people in sheeps clothing. Jesus took a hard line against false teaching and I am sure he would expect us to do the saem. I've seen the damage they create. While preaching harmony, family, etc. they deceive.

In your opinion, what is the draw? What did the mormon folks you were part of, have that
    attracted you to them?

Curious. [​IMG]

15. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

The draw was this. It started out that they came to my door, and I was eager to show them they were wrong. I knew nothing about their faith, so I was totally unprepared for what they had coming. First off, they used the KJV. Just like me. They said they believed that we couldn't be saved without Jesus. Everything they believed seemed to be the same. At first. Little by little, they showed me different passages, in the Bible, and showed me what they said it really meant. It all made sense. Also, I was of the opinion that why couldn't Joseph Smith have received direct revelation from God? The missionaries were at my house frequently, and I got to be friends with them. It so happened to be at the time that I had been seriously considering leaving my church, my husband had just moved out, and I was confused and lonely. I needed friends at the time, and the whole church just seemed like they were a whole big family. I wanted to be a part of that.
    They did things that Christian churches should do. They all worked together, everybody helped out at the church, took turns teaching lessons, had meals together, and the church even has it's own welfare system, so if you're having a hard time you don't have to run to the government for food stamps. They help each other out with everything it seems-doctors help the sick, mechanics fix cars, women help with midwife skills, and so on. It's like a world of security.
    Little by little you get indoctrinated. You get fed small bits of the real truth about the religion, and in small bits and in it being so wonderfully explained, over and over, you accept it. Also, it's much easier to live a good life with all the rules they have, especially when people are watching to make sure you're following them.
    I studied and prayed. I got all the information from everyone I could. If someone send me something that said anything bad about the Mormon religion, I would ask the missionaries if it was true. I started finding out very often that it was, and very slowly, more and more of the explanations that they gave me contradicted the Bible, and they would always use the excuse that the Bible was mistranslated in the part that I showed them disagreed. Eventually, it got to the point that the more I learned about the LDS, the more mistranslated tha Bible was, until it became intolerable to me. If the Bible was so wrong they had no reason to use it. Also, I found out may things that were just disgusting, like they think it's probable that Jesus was married to a number of women, had children, God was once just like us, and worked his way up to being God , and that he has a mother and father, like us, which goes on and on until there are countless Gods, God made people black as a curse (starting with Cain), and the list goes on. Also, I heard enough about the secret (they call it sacred) rituals that go on in the temple, to see that it's almost identical to the higher levels of Masonry. I did a whole lot of praying, and studying. One day, I went to church, and one class they started talking about Satan's ability to disguise himself as an angel of light, and it was really what had been happening to me. And right then, I felt such a bad presence in the room I had to get out. I did go to the first temple built in and to JS's home, where I took the tour and tried to feel what they said could be felt in the room where Jesus himself came and spoke, but it just wasn't there.
    I ended knowing that it was wrong, and just truly believing in Jesus as the way. Before this, there had been times when I wanted to, but I just couldn't. The night I got saved, I was in so much spiritual pain, and felt so angry for having taken my children there, for having set my daughter on my knee and given her the basics on Mormonism and why we believed in it, that I literally just cried out for God. And I felt Him. And then I told him how much I needed Him, and that I truly did believe in Jesus, and that I was so sorry.
    That's how I got into it, and that's how I got out. Hope everyone got it, because that hurts too much to explain more than once.

16. Psalm145 3

Psalm145 3 New Member

Gina- GLORY TO GOD, AMEN!

17. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

I was glad to read your story, Gina.

I agree that unless you know what your are dealing with, it would be better to share the word of God plainly and leave it at that with Morman missionaries.

Then, pray that the Word of God would not return void.

18. SPAM

SPAM New Member

Gina, thank you for opening up. I understand you feel pain when this is shared, but I am praying that the Lord will allow you the ability to share this over and over again. People need to hear this story.

Might I suggest you pray about writing a track, or a pamplet, or even a book on the subject. WHO ME? Seriously, please consider it.

I have a testimony concerning prayer about the birth of my son, when we almost lost him, that God has allowed me to share many times. Though, the pain is real, God uses all our experiences to help others. Thanks again, I needed to hear this story.

P.S. Your daughter will always thank you, throughout eternity for showing her Jesus; don't be so hard on yourself about the other.
    Godspeed: Matthew 6: 33 & 34.

19. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

Thanks Spam. Great idea....already tried to start doing that last year, but never quite had the courage to really work on it. I probably will try to get started again soon. I really do feel like I should- thanks for bringing it up for me me again- God definately wanted you to.
    Gina

20. Jimmy

Jimmy New Member

Gina: Interestesting post. I was born and raised in a small Utah town. As a youth I attended there "church" and was even baptised though it took seven dunks before they got me completly under. Thank God I later trusted Christ and was saved.
    I think that when witnessing to mormons there a few things that people need to understand. First they have a vocabulary that sounds Christian. They will talk about Jesus, there Heavenly Father, the Gospel, Faith Ect. There words have a totaly different meaning. for instance there Jesus is a greated being. Some teach that he was sexual conceved, and the brother of lucifer. There Heavenly Father Had a God father and God mother. There Gospel is not the good news that we know but the compiled doctrins of mormonisim.
    Like others have said there missionarys are schooled on how to counter the typical Christain statment and questions. While I would encourage people to witness to the missionary; one needs be aware that they are not there to listen but to present there false teachings. On the positive side I believe that many if not most of the mormon people do not fully except and believe the intire mormon myth. It has been my expereance that when witnessing to mormons it is best not to try to reason are argue with them but to present the word of God as honestley and kindly as possable. It would be a good idea to study there basic believe system so you can understand ther mind set. I do believe that many average mormon people can be won if the right approach is used.
    There are many good artictals and helps for witnessing to mormons in Cooper Abrams web site ...
    bible-truth.org
    Pastor Abrams has spent many years in the mission fields of Utah as a Church planter.

[ May 04, 2001: Message edited by: Jimmy ]