1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

How do you witness to your own family?

Discussion in 'Evangelism, Missions & Witnessing' started by Kathy, Jul 23, 2001.

1. Kathy

Kathy New Member

I have SEVERAL family members (mother and father included) that are not saved. It tortures me to no extent that they want nothing to do with my beliefs. Well, I guess in good conscience I can't really say that. My father came to church with me twice but to talk about the gospel or salvation is really hard with him. He was exposed to a few different types of religions while he was growing up and he says that "religion is too controversial". How do you respond to that? My hope for him, however, is my 5 year old who he is VERY close to. She is CONSTANTLY "witnessing" to him.
    My mother told me this "church is ok, just don't get too involved" She's even said "I know I'm going to Hell, thats fine with me" What can a person possibly say to that? She seems to not care! ANYWAY...Any suggestions on how to witness to these people?

Kathy
    <><

[ September 09, 2001: Message edited by: Kathy ]

2. Larry

Larry Member
    Site Supporter

Kathy,

I know exactly what you are talking about. When I tried to talk to family members about their need to be saved, I would get a huge lump in my through and start to cry.

I have boldly approached Bikers, rich people in the big house on the hill, poor people in the rundown trailer I even stumbled upon a Chicken Fight at the local bootlegger's but to talk to a dear loved one… the stakes just seem higher.

I remember leaving my parent's house and being literally sick because I so wanted to be a good witness to my dad. The real turning point came when I brought a video of a man street preaching, to a hostile crowd, over and said you have got to see this! While my dad watched the video he said "now that is a man" over the next several weeks my mom and dad started going to church and one day he told me that he had repented and that his faith was in the blood of Jesus. I said that’s great dad! But I wasn't convinced. A month or two went by and while on the way home from a visit, it hit me that we had just sat around reading the Bible and having Christian Fellowship! Man it was good! Over the next several years I watched as my dad grew in the Lord, he got a buss and started picking up kids for church, visited widows and was always one of the first to help out when a house burnt down or mow the grass for a sick neighbor, he would never accept any money for what ever he had done but would take the opportunity to tell them about the Lord…. People listened to him because they could feel that he loved them and they knew that my dad use to be a drunk.

My dad died, of a sudden illness, three months ago. At the funeral, there were dozens of people that came up to me and told me that my dad had witnessed to them and or they were now walking with the Lord because of something my dad had done.

Words just cant express the peace I have in knowing that my dad was saved, one of the things he told me was when I die, I'm sure he didn’t realize it would be at fifty-eight years, make sure you get a preacher to give out the Gospel at my funeral. There were over five hundred people at his funeral, one man who was lost drove for thirteen hours to be there, he had been my dads golf partner thirty years before and said that he couldn't explain why but he had to come.

I'm rambling but you get my point.

If you are interested you can go to the following link to read some notes on sharing the Gospel that I have compiled and a friend included on his web page http://www.tccministries.org see "GO YE" I think one of the pages is on there twice but you can go to the next page.

Lord bless,

3. the 'I AM' hath sent me

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Kathy:
    I have SEVERAL family members (mother and father included) that are not saved. It tortures me to no extent that they want nothing to do with my beliefs. Well, I guess in good conscience I can't really say that. My father came to church with me twice but to talk about the gospel or salvation is really hard with him. He was exposed to a few different types of religions while he was growing up and he says that "religion is too controversial". How do you respond to that? My hope for him, however, is my 5 year old who he is VERY close to. She is CONSTANTLY "witnessing" to him.
    My mother told me this "church is ok, just don't get too involved" She's even said "I know I'm going to Hell, thats fine with me" What can a person possibly say to that? She seems to not care! My sister claims she is saved, and I was there the day she went forward in our church service when we were children, but she bears no fruit. My mother-in-law claims to be saved and I was also there in church the day she went forward. But then she makes comments like this: "Kenny has found religion, now he wants everyone else to" and she says it like he's weird or something...if she is saved, why would she speak this way? ANYWAY...Any suggestions on how to witness to these people?

Kathy
    &lt;&gt;&lt;
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sister Kathy,
    I am glad and at the same time sad to hear of someone going through similar things as I.
    The only and most important thing I can suggest is PRAY and PRAY Ernestly. Keep your walk with the Lord close, read the scriptures, Pray. Lord willing(and I believe it is), they will come around. At least I pray my family and yours does.

I can't really suggest anything else. But I can offer my prayers for your family.

God Bless and Keep you,
    a brother in Christ, Kenneth

4. the 'I AM' hath sent me

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Larry:
    Kathy,

I know exactly what you are talking about. When I tried to talk to family members about their need to be saved, I would get a huge lump in my through and start to cry.

I have boldly approached Bikers, rich people in the big house on the hill, poor people in the rundown trailer I even stumbled upon a Chicken Fight at the local bootlegger's but to talk to a dear loved one… the stakes just seem higher.

I remember leaving my parent's house and being literally sick because I so wanted to be a good witness to my dad. The real turning point came when I brought a video of a man street preaching, to a hostile crowd, over and said you have got to see this! While my dad watched the video he said "now that is a man" over the next several weeks my mom and dad started going to church and one day he told me that he had repented and that his faith was in the blood of Jesus. I said that’s great dad! But I wasn't convinced. A month or two went by and while on the way home from a visit, it hit me that we had just sat around reading the Bible and having Christian Fellowship! Man it was good! Over the next several years I watched as my dad grew in the Lord, he got a buss and started picking up kids for church, visited widows and was always one of the first to help out when a house burnt down or mow the grass for a sick neighbor, he would never accept any money for what ever he had done but would take the opportunity to tell them about the Lord…. People listened to him because they could feel that he loved them and they knew that my dad use to be a drunk.

My dad died, of a sudden illness, three months ago. At the funeral, there were dozens of people that came up to me and told me that my dad had witnessed to them and or they were now walking with the Lord because of something my dad had done.

Words just cant express the peace I have in knowing that my dad was saved, one of the things he told me was when I die, I'm sure he didn’t realize it would be at fifty-eight years, make sure you get a preacher to give out the Gospel at my funeral. There were over five hundred people at his funeral, one man who was lost drove for thirteen hours to be there, he had been my dads golf partner thirty years before and said that he couldn't explain why but he had to come.

I'm rambling but you get my point.

If you are interested you can go to the following link to read some notes on sharing the Gospel that I have compiled and a friend included on his web page http://www.tccministries.org see "GO YE" I think one of the pages is on there twice but you can go to the next page.

Lord bless,
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Brother Larry,
    You are an inspiration with that post. That is exactly how I feel now. When I leave my mom and dads, I feel so guilt. I know the Lord wants me to witness to my dad, but my flesh won't let me. You are an inspiration, you and your dad have given me something to strive for. I know what I must do.
    I ask, Pray for me. Please, pray for me. I love my dad so much, but to talk to him about anything but cars is hard, especially things of the Lord. I know if I don't and he dies, knowing he will go to hell without the Saviour, God help me, I couldn't take that. SO pray I will be the Witness to my dad.

God Bless and Keep you,
    Kenneth

5. Larry

Larry Member
    Site Supporter

Kathy & Kennith,

You bet I'll pray for you!

I just went to the link I gave and it's not working on pg#2 so if you have trouble and don’t mind getting a big email, I will email it to you.
    In the meantime

The Maginot Line:

The lush rolling hills situated between France and Germany were the backdrop for some of bloodiest trench warfare of World War One.

Hundreds of thousands of Frenchmen spilled their blood to defend those, seemingly, insignificant hills. What would prompt men to leave their homes and families for a trench? What would prompt a man to fight like a mad dog and die if necessary? One reason…. Those hills were between the enemy and Paris!

It was for this reason, after WWI, the French Government decided to build "The Maginot Line" a fortified line of defenses along the Eastern border of France. It is arguably, the most formational defensive position the World has ever seen. It consisted of about 150 miles of reinforced concrete bunkers housing large fixed Cannons each positioned so as to cover each other, pillboxes for machineguns, and tons of barbed-wire. What was most impressive about the line was what could best be described as an underground city. Vast underground caverns, in some places up to eight levels deep, containing Ammunition Stores, Soldiers Quarters, Hospitals, Airplane hangers a Gymnasium and even a Movie theater all connected by an underground Railway.

In late spring 1940, the stage was set. France had literally banked its future on the success of the Maginot Line. In the span of three weeks, the German blitzkrieg had made a mockery of the Maginot Line by simply going around it. I, by no means wish to glorify Hitler. My point in all this is to point out the tactics used and the similarities between the Maginot Line and the “spiritual Maginot Line” many lost people have constructed around their consciences.

The Maginot Line was the result of a previous War.
    A spiritual Maginot Line is usually constructed after a bitter battle between Conscience and Conviction. Examples of this include Homosexuals, Alcoholics, and Whoremongers etc… they have constructed elaborate defenses in an effort to defend their “pet sin”. Any headway against such a fortified position will be bitterly contested; the battle-hardened arguments are more than enough to repel an unprepared Soul Winner. At times a frontal attack is necessary and, with the help of God, an overwhelming success!

When we encounter a spiritual Maginot Line we ought to seek orders from our commander, as to how to proceed. He will ether give us the power to attack or the wisdom to go around.

Our objective is not to get a drunkard to stop drinking, it would be nice, but all you would have for your efforts is a sober Hell bound sinner. Our objective is the conscience (Paris) and hears is how to go around all the arguments: if you encounter a Maginot Line of fornication for example, just bring out the heavy artillery of the Ten Commandments, as you quote each of God’s moral Laws look for a weak spot to exploit. For example if you detect that “thou shalt not bear false witness” struck a soft spot, go back and explain that Revelation 21:8 declares that “all liars, shall have their part in the lake which burneth with fire and brimstone: which is the second death.” And that “it is appointed unto man once to die and after this the judgment” ask what would be your fate should you die today? At this point, if you see signs of contrition you know you have breached their defenses.

Once again check with headquarters for further instruction. You will be prompted to ether first pummel the Maginot Line from the rear, or to bring the secret weapon (the Good News of the Gospel) to bear on the conscience, offer God’s terms for peace, Repentance and Faith.

During World War II, once Paris was occupied the Maginot Line was ordered to surrender.

6. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have much the same situation as yours. However, it is worth remembering of all the prayers that Georg Meuller prayed only two were not answered in his lifetime. One was for his unsaved brother. Brother Meuller prayed for his salvation for 30+ years. The man was saved three+/- years after Meuller's death.

7. FundamentalDan

FundamentalDan New Member

I would also encourage you to pray for your family members. My pastor prayed for twenty-seven years for all of his family to get saved. One by one, over that twenty-seven year period, they all got saved. Many times God just wants to see if you really care for them. Also, remember that your consistent godly testimony will speak volumes to them about their need for salvation. Do not fall into the temptation to compromise your convictions and beliefs just to be accepted by them. Remember that you will have a different perspective than they will on a lot of things because you see things through the eyes of a Christian and they do not. Be patient and let God work! He will.

FundamentalDan

8. Kathy

Kathy New Member

Thank you all so much for your encouragement. I will continue my prayer vigil! When I got saved in 1997, I thought "no way my husband will EVER get saved" BUT...PRAISE BE TO GOD! He accepted Christ late last year and he is already bearing fruit... things we used to disagree on concerning right from wrong, morality and such, we are now strongly aligned! THANK YOU FATHER IN HEAVEN! He hasn't been baptisted yet, but I'm praying that he will make that public profession of his faith this year! Again, you all are right, I should look to what has happened thru God's grace in my own life to find that encouragement. There is something about "puting it in writing" that helps me to deal with things...but all of your posts/encouragements have been laid on my heart and I appreciate you all!

Kathy [​IMG]
    &lt;&gt;&lt;

9. myreflection26

myreflection26 New Member

Kathy,

It is a very difficult thing to wittness to family. One thing I would suggest however is to not push it to much. My mother in law and her husband do just that with our family and ya know what? In the verbal opinions of the family they are nothing but hypocrites. They can't just visit to visit out of love, they have to bring a truck load of tracts/videos and you name it. I guess it would go over a bit better but when it comes to spending quality time with any family they are way too busy with their own lives and with church activities and let me tell you the only kind of testimony they hold with thier family is a bad one. They went to one of thier kids house who they know does not believe the way they do but they purposly left over 20 tracts lying around the kid's house which caused alot of anger and the kid threw out every tract left.

The best thing is to pray, and show love not just to wittness but because they are family and you care about them and what they are interested in.

Hope it works out for you.

Sue

10. Raulf7

Raulf7 New Member

I am the only believer in my whole family. When I told them I became a Christian they thought I was nuts and still do.

I cant even mention Christianity and they have attacked me for teaching my son such things.

So I say nothing and dont see them very often. Pays not to

11. llsmith

llsmith New Member

Raulf:
    Don't get discouraged, just keep up your testimony, I have the same problem, but now in about 5 years time my family is beginning to see that I am not so nuts, I have very well behaved children and the Lord has changed me so much they are really coming around. I have been through some hard trials, but my family has wittnessed them and seen that my response is not normal and it has had an impact on them, they are not exactly running to church on sunday yet, but I am praying for it to be soon. So keep praying and being faithful.

12. Larry

Larry Member
    Site Supporter

So Kathy, how about an update?

13. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Pray and listen. They will ask questions. Your faith will become evident if it isn't already. I try to treat them as I would want to be treated. We must give them some time after we discuss things with them. None of us want to be pressured even if we recognize it as a good thing. We reject people who pressure us. Be careful what you say and how you say it. Be gentle with them.

And pray for them.