1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

How do you ...

Discussion in 'Computers & Technology Forum' started by exscentric, Sep 1, 2007.

1. exscentric

exscentric Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    run a program on one computer when it is on another.

Example: If I have a computer in the garage networked with one on my desk and the desk unit has a Bible program on it. How do I - or - what do I need to run that program on the garage unit without installing it on that unit?

I know it is done but don't even know what to search for in help file - well if I thought the help file would help :tongue3:

2. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

Can you connect them through a VPN client?

3. exscentric

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    They are already networked and I can see all computers from all computers, it is that I want to use programs that are installed on the garage computer but run and use them on another computer.

I know corporations do it all the time with servers/workstations, but don't know if you have to have windows nt or some other software.

I know if it is a simple program that installs everything into one directory it can be run elsewhere but if there are items installed into other directories it doesn't seem to work ????

4. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

When I need a program that is on another computer -- like you are talking about, I copy the folder and the load it on the other computer. I recently had to do that with (of all things) the VPN for Vista, but I had to use ftp because the old VPN didn't work. Same concept though.

5. standingfirminChrist

Go to the folder where the program is and right click that folder. Choose sharing and security

Check the box that says share this folder on my network (or something like that).

Click ok

Go to your other pc and right click on desktop. Choose New Shortcut.

Navigate to your Network Neighborhood and on to the program that is shared . Find the exe file for the program. click ok. Rename shortcut.

You should be able to access the program after following those steps,.

6. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

Too cool!

My computer doesn't always stay connected to the network. That's a problem. I have to grab the whole thing.

7. exscentric

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    that works for some programs but bigger programs that install stuff in multiple directories do not work.

8. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Caution: You must also consider licensed usage. For example, a program that is designed to be used on a network usually has a limitation on how many users can access it.

Just don't want you to get in trouble.

If what StandingFirminChrist suggested isn't working for your bigger programs, you may need to check the program and see if it has an option to be installed for multiple users across a network.

Optionally, you might check the program, and see if you can change the Save and other working directories.

9. standingfirminChrist

I have a bulider's edition of MS Office 2003 Professional. I can install it on up to 999 pc's and it generates a different code each time it installs.

I am given permission to install it on one pc and access it through my network as well.

It is a fairly big program, but seems to work without a glitch no matter where I access it from.

10. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

And mine is at work for the multi user licensed programs.

11. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    My caution was geared more toward exscentric.

12. kubel

kubel New Member

I use UltraVNC. http://www.uvnc.com/

1) Download and install UltraVNC Server on the computer you want to gain access to. Make sure you set a password after it's installed, or else it won't work. Also make sure there aren't any software firewalls blocking the program.

2) Download and run UltraVNC Viewer (it's standalone and doesn't require installation) on the computer you want to use that doesn't have the Bible program, and connect to the computer that does. You can connect via IP address or by computer name, so long as the two computers can "see" each other on the network. A window will open displaying the desktop of the other computer.

3) Take control and use it like you would if you were actually at the other computer.

You can also run it with inputs ignored, effectively making it a spy program (great to keep an eye on ones kids when they are online to make sure they keep out of trouble).

When I was going to college, I ran UltraVNC on port 80 on my home computer so I could avoid the firewall and filters the college had in place on their network, and just connect to my desktop at home (and have full Internet access) through either my laptop or one of the workstations on campus (I just popped UltraVNC viewer on my thumb drive). That way I could go on AIM and GoogleTalk while at school.

If you need sound piped through and want a more Microsoft-y approach, you can use Remote Desktop Connection. Just enable it (I think with XP, its right click My Computer and go to Remote Desktop or something like that). Then on the client computer, run the RDC client (it should be in accessories).

13. exscentric

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That might work well, will do some downloading. Thanks much! :thumbs:

14. exscentric

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Wow, what an awesome little program you put me onto! I'm writing this on my laptop looking at my desktop screen :thumbs:

Thanks Kubel! :love2: