1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

How Does Gay-Marriage Hurt Hetero-marriage???

Discussion in '2004 Archive' started by Carolyn Dee, Mar 29, 2004.

1. Carolyn Dee

Carolyn Dee New Member

Help! A frequent and loud argument by gay-marriage advocates are challenging the anti-homosexual marriage forces with "How does gay marriage hurt yours?" Rebuttals please. I know there are some but I can use a lot of input.

2. I Am Blessed 24

I Am Blessed 24 Active Member

It undermines the sanctity of marriage as God set if forth.

It also sends the signal to everyone (especially young people) that homosexuality must be all right as the government is sanctioning it.

Sad...

3. The Right Way

The Right Way New Member

Chrisianity has homosexuality listed as one of the main sins. And we don't want our government saying that it is ok to sin.

They did this with abortion and we continute to fight it. They did this with the teaching of evolution in our schools and look at the battles we have to now fight in our classrooms.

Either this country's leaders will support Christianity as GW Bush is claiming it will, or it won't. We need the government to step in and help the Christian Church to keep sin and other non-christian values out of our government and daily life.

This is a Christian nation, not a free for all like India. When you have more than one religion in a country you start to have internal wars and strife. The leadership is going to have to establish either we want Christian values or we want Muslim values. Every major country in the world is having to decide which religion is going to be dominate and while I respect the constitution, it may be time for a change on the sparation of church and state. We may well need the State to become more involved with Christian ideals and to further mandate that no Muslims (even if born here) are allowed to hold office.

Look at all these major countries that have suddenly become Muslim. When did France become 1/2 Muslim? What is going on in Europe? The Muslims are taking over, then they get their religion in power then they change the law to reflect muslim ideas. This has to be stopped in our country before it gets any further.

4. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

Gay marriage is an oxy moron. There is no such thing. Marriage, by definition, is man and a woman. The term marriage cannot apply to same sex relationships.

As someone has pointed out, gays have the right to get married already, just like everyone else. They are not prevented from marrying.

5. The Right Way

The Right Way New Member

Larry, Ministers are arrested if they marry gays in most States, it's against the law. Where have you been? Sure there are some that aren't but they could be if the local DA wanted to.

6. The Right Way

The Right Way New Member

We need to write to our DA's and insist that they arrest ministers who marry gays and the gays that get married. The NY DA did just that a few weeks ago, there is no reason why all the cities can't start doing the same.

7. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

It is not against the law for gays to marry. It is against the law for gays to "marry" people of the same sex, but as I pointed out, that is an oxymoron since it is not "marriage" that they are entering into. Marriage is not two people of the same sex. It is one man and one woman. A gay man is perfectly free to marry whichever woman he wants to. A gay woman is perfectly free to marry whichever man she wants to. They are perfectly freee to get married.

We are missing the boat of discussion if "gay marriage" means two people of the same sex. That is entering the game halfway through teh second half. We need to go back to a more foundational level and realize that marriage can never involved two people of the same sex. Whatever we might call that, marriage is not it.

8. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

Hello TeaTime,
    That is a difficult question to give a clear answer to. It is one thing to know that homosexual marriages holds great harm to the nation and marriage itself, but another thing to give clear reasoning as to why. I think that the answer is that most likely it won't. At least not in the immediate. However the problem is that sin is a reproach to any nation.
    Pro 14:34 Righteousness exalteth a nation: but sin [is] a reproach to any people.
    We should be concerned that such marriages do cause the downfall of the family which is only complete in God.
    The question that is being asked by the homosexual community, "how does gay marriage hurt your marriage" is a well thought out question so as to side track the real issue.
    The same could be asked by those who want to promote polygamy, incestuous marriages (father daughter,mother son, brother and sister and so on). The answer is the same. In the immediate there is no harm to my marriage. In other words if someone moves next to me who is married to his sister does that cause my marriage to fall apart? The answer is no, not in itself. But there are consequences to openly allowing such marriages to take place. However once moral barriers are torn down and immorality becomes the standard future generations are those who suffer. We already see this today. For instance years ago just the act of homosexuality could land someone in prison and it did in many states. At that time homosexuality was something that was seldom spoken about and few were confronted openly with the issue. However today since godless courts have struck down those laws we now have an open society of homosexuals claiming that they have rights.
    The problem is that they want the right to promote their lifestyle openly and are doing so in the work places and even schools. Our children are now struggling to deal with the issues of this open sin. In the long term it does affect marriage, but mostly in those marriages to come, not in those who are already established and we do have moral obligations to the future generations.
    So the issue is not about how it hurts my marriage, but how it causes harm to the minds and actions of future generations and the wrath of God on the nation that condones such actions to be practiced.

9. 2atlow8

2atlow8 New Member

I have had a hard time coming up with an easy direct answer and I don't think there is one. The simplest answer is "It just does." That said, I think the best response to the question is the way Christ answered a question with a question.

Respond by answering with this question...How does it affect me if a stranger kills a stranger in California and the killer is not prosecuted or even arrested. There are laws, both civil and moral that have existed for thousands of years. If we chose to selectively ignore them today our entire society suffers. Truly, it is of no affect whatsover if two people kill each other in California but if my society slowly allows it to spread then it will ultimately have an impact on my life.
    Follow that response with, "why is it wrong to kill someone anyway? They will have to respond with "it just is" or else they will respond with God said it is wrong. It all goes back to morality. That indwelling knowledge that some things are right and some things are wrong. Although we may chose to ignore the knowledge I believe it is on the heart of every human to know the difference (Remember that tree of knowledge of good and evil that started the whole thing?)

10. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Hope you don't mind if I play adovcatus diaboli:
    State-sanctioned marriage has nothing to do with marriage as set forth by God. If that were a requisite, then atheists would not be allowed to marry.

Actually, the government's biggest duty is to protect an individual's liberty, which includes a person's liberty to sin if they so choose, so long as it does not transgress upon the liberties opf another. For example, it is illegal to be drunk in public, but it is not illegal to be drunk in the privacy of one's home. Drunkenness is a clear sin all the way around, but it is not illegal if it is private.

This is NOT a Christian nation. This is a secular nation. Check your copy of the first amendment.

Say what??? Marriage is a matter of civil code, not penal code. A minister can't get arrested for "marrying" a same-sex couple. However, he may get defrocked by his congregation, and without a license, the marriage is void. Here in California, marriage is legal only between a male and female. Interestingly, shortly after San Francisco started issuing licenses to same-sex couples, they stopped after being presented an order to cease. The media reported the issuance of the licenses with a furor, but the cessation of same hardly made it to print. Also, cities, like my own, who denied licenses to same sex couples, didn't even make the back page. I'm not one to play the media bias card, but this sounds like just that.

11. Carolyn Dee

Carolyn Dee New Member

FROM TEATIME to all...thank you for all the replies thus far. I was also looking for a fact (or theory) I heard some years ago - when the population of homosexuals/lesbians reach a certain level, that particular society collapses, ie Greece, Rome, etc. Has anybody heard of this?