1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

How does God "call" people?

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by bmerr, Apr 20, 2007.

1. bmerr

bmerr New Member

bmerr here. I often hear people say, "God called me into the ministry", or, "God called me to to be a missionary", or something along those lines. This kind of thing is often read in the posts of the members of baptistboard.com.

My question is, "How exactly does God call people into specific service?"

In Christ,

bmerr

2. Bro. James Reed

Bro. James Reed New Member

Collect.:laugh:

Sorry, I just couldn't help myself.:smilewinkgrin:

3. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Actually your answer has a "ring of truth" to it (actually no pun inteded)
    but there are times it will cost us to serve the Lord:praying:

4. billwald

billwald New Member

Several years ago in an eyeball to eyeball conversation with the president of a well accredited Baptist seminary he observed that half the seminarians should not be there because of temperment and other reasons.

5. Agnus_Dei

Agnus_Dei New Member

This may not answer your question directly, but I’ll give you my thoughts. I believe God is calling all that are baptized to a life of a disciple of Jesus Christ and it is within that calling that we can be called into the ministry. But, discerning such a call is a challenge and it can be tough today, because of others, even parents and friends may not be encouraging or supportive.

First prayer, lots of prayer. Then ask yourself these questions or similar questions…Have I experienced God’s love in my life? Do I actively practice my faith and participate in my church? Does the Gospel message excite and challenge me? Am I searching for a way to share my gifts with others? Do I desire a deeper relationship with Christ? Am I willing to offer my life for the mission of Christ and His Church? Do I want to make a difference in the lives of others?

The primary focus of this revelation is the heart, there’s where the answer will be. Also our discernment process must include the Church. Your pastor should have a lot of input on helping one decide.

Good question.

-

6. DQuixote

DQuixote New Member

Once you've been called, you know.

Any further questions?

7. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

I think many things can play a role in it, each different and unique to every one of us. I don't think there is a "cookie cutter call" from God to believers. Our talents, gifts, strong desires are ways. People in our lives and life situations, experiences, Scripture and simply being asked by someone to do something are also ways in which God calls us to serve Him.

8. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

I am like bmerr. I'm quite curious about how God calls people to service, specifically into the ministry or to missions. I have asked a number of folks to describe their call, and have gotten a number of different answers.

So let me add to bmerr's question. Tell me about YOUR specific call. How did you come to know what God wanted you to do? Describe that process.

Within that, those of you called to evangelism, to be theology professors, to other roles with a general call to ministry: how did you come to know that?

May we go even further? When you left one church to go to another, how did you know that God intended for you to go to that church? Or leave the one where you were? I'm fascinated by the stories I've heard about "the call."

9. bmerr

bmerr New Member

bmerr here. Thanks to all for your responses (Collect! You wacky cut-up!)

My aim is to establish a Scriptural view of people being "called" to this or that. In the Scriptures, the Spirit "spake" to certain men at certain times and told them to go here or there, but I don't believe the Bible supports the idea that the Spirit still speaks directly to people anymore.

It seems to me that religious folks often have a desire or urge to do something, and tend to think it's the Holy Spirit "leading them", or God "calling them" to do it. Is that necessary?

Can a person not simply recognize the fact that he has the ability do do something, (preach, for example) and understand the importance of that thing being done, and commit himself to doing it, without thinking God has "called" him to do it?

Especially when the Bible already illustrates the importance of using our talents for the kingdom (Matt25:14-30).

Finally there is the fact that God is no respecter of persons. If He calls one to service, why does He not call everyone to service?

In Christ,

bmerr