1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

How does God Chastise His Child?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by righteousdude2, Sep 6, 2014.

1. righteousdude2

righteousdude2 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I was wondering if any of you could share what you have personally experienced at the hand of God for disobedience and going astray?

Furthermore, examples of ways you have personally witnessed the hand of God punish others for straying and disobeying Him.

This has long been an area that man does not want to discuss, and it is a difficult sermon topic too, as it seems to be an emotional and spiritual downer to talk about the chastisement of God towards the children, He sent His Son to die for!

When I think of God's punishment, the story of Annanias, and Sapphira in Acts 5:1-10. The truth is, this was more of an execution than a punishment, but it does show that God deals swiftly with His Children when they mess up!

I'm also reminded of the potter and the clay, and personally; I feel like a piece of clay that has been broken many times over my life, and remolded. Sometimes the breaking has nothing to do with punishment, just His desire to send us off in a new direction to be used differently than we thought, or in a direction He now felt more comfortable using us in!

So what say you!

BTW - Do any of you think Annanias, and Sapphira went to heaven, or not?

2. Reynolds

Reynolds Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    In my case it has always been a permissive, not active, chastening. God let me suffer natural consequences for my stupid actions.

3. righteousdude2

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Welcome brother .....

First of all, brother, :wavey:WELCOME:wavey: to the Board!

Secondly .... that is how God works in my life too! In fact, He recently god on my case about how I was reacting to some on this board who are judgmental and critical. I got the message, and am at piece within, again!

He is an awesome Father who knows exactly how to chastise us in a way that redirects the wrong direction we were heading in!

4. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Then everyone endures chastening, and everyone is a child of God.

5. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think chastening should be distinguished from judgment. Foolishness is bound in the heart of a child, but the rod of correction will drive it far from him.

Joseph was sold into slavery.
    His brothers were reduced to begging for bread from him.
    Violence plagued David's house.
    Paul was given an affliction for his propensity to pride.

I can't say Ananias and Sapphira were chastened. They were judged.
    Judas was judged.
    Herod was judged.

I'm witnessing something in a family right now. The father is emasculated. Women rule over him, and his children are his oppressors—literally.

Families are broken. Others incurred debilitating debts because of sickness or storms. I have endured chastening, and do, but I make it a point not to reveal details in my personal struggles. Suffice it to say I could have penned the line:

Prone to wander, Lord, I feel it.
    prone to leave the God I love.
    Here's my heart, Lord, take and seal it.
    Seal it for thy courts above.

6. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

In whatever ways it works. It is varied.

7. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    How's WhiteSmoke working out for you?

Just last week I was discussing how homophones need to be distinguished.

He has peace of mind.
    He gave him a piece of his mind.

8. righteousdude2

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    And Chastisement is on its way ....

.... and I am sure some will find it hard to believe that He has chosen to chastise them, but be forewarned, it is coming, and it won't spare the rod when it comes to how some treat others here, on a Christian board! I pray for the ones to be spiritually admonished. :flower::flower::flower:

9. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    "But if you are without discipline, of which all have become partakers, then you are illegitimate children and not sons." Heb 12:8

I believe that this discipline is an indication that we are His children.

10. righteousdude2

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

This is a fact. I feel his punishment when I mess up. That is part of sanctification....we can't be set aside if we cling to the old things he wants us to let go of. :flower:

11. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

God chastises his children on earth, in the same way we chastise our children: to teach them what is right.

I also think that if a believer persists in sin over a period of time, sometimes God kills him. That is, to take him out to prevent his bringing further reproach on Christianity.

Agree or disagree?

12. righteousdude2

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No problems with that Tom. He took out a man and wife for lying about their tithe and gifts! Glad He doesn't do that today? Or, did that [death as chastisement] not end when the NT was finished? Sort of like the gift of tongues and prophecy and ????? ended after the NT church ended it's intial entrance into the world in Acts?