1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

How Does Psalm 139:16 Affect You?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Martin, Jan 21, 2007.

1. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    How does Psalm 139:16 affect your daily life? When something good happens, when something bad happens, when something tragic happens? Do you believe that this verse applies to you, and to me, or just to David?

In light of verses 1-4 do you believe that verse 16 is talking about daily activities or simply length of time? Why?

#1 Martin, Jan 21, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 21, 2007
  2. bapmom

bapmom New Member

This passage certainly reminds me that God knows more about me than anyone else does....including myself. I think it applies to me, and everyone else, just as much as it did to David specifically.

God knows me and understands me and my reactions to situations, as well as the best way for me to handle things. He can tell me how I ought to handle things because He knows how I work.

3. reformedbeliever

reformedbeliever New Member

It tells me that I can absolutely depend upon God's sovereign wisdom, and what He knows is best for me. He is intimately involved in every aspect of my life. This applies to everyone.

In order for Him to cause all things to work together for the good of those who love Him, He has to be intimately involved in all we do. I do not believe a leaf flutters in the wind without God's involvement. I believe He is active in His creation and upholds it with His might.

4. Martin

Martin Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Two very good replies. :thumbs: However I was hoping for more replies.

5. SBCPreacher

SBCPreacher Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    To me, it means that God knew every step of my life even as I was being formed in my mother. He saw the end product of my life even before it began.

It also tells me that every unborn child is precious to God, and they ought to be precious to us.

6. reformedbeliever

reformedbeliever New Member

Amen brother!

7. ituttut

ituttut New Member

While growing up, all the action figures such as Joshua, Samson (this is who I would be), Saul, and David, were my hero's. But as I read and reread, I found I had a problem. I could never be any such as these. These are God's people. If so, then what am I? I found I am a Gentile, a dog, which is a far cry from being one found in verse 13, "For thou hast possessed my reins: thou hast covered me in my mother's womb." So much for wishful and immature thinking.

We can't be "Superman" for there is no such person, and we can't be "David" for today there is no such person recognized as a Jew. Those of the "Kingdom" were produced by those promised the "Kingdom", and we are to remember we are "but men", and not those given "Super Powers", as noticed in Psalms 9:20.
    Are we David, or are we what God made us?
    I myself do not see how verses 1-4 has anything at all to do with us. I believe the pronouns used exclude such things being applied to anyone but David, "O Lord, thou hast searched me, and known me."

Verse 16? I believe God saw David before His Book was written. I can't say the same for me.

8. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

I think it's safe to say that if God say all of David's days, it's no problem at all for him to see all of mine.

David is applying God's omnicience and omnipresence to himself. He's no less omniscient or omnipresent when it comes to the rest of us.

9. ituttut

ituttut New Member

Fully agree, but did he say He chose you as He did David for David kept the "commandments and the statutes of God". I may wish to move myself up to David's level with God, but I really don't believe God would pay any attention to me. "Howbeit I will not take the whole kingdom out of his hand: but I will make him prince all the days of his life for David my servant's sake, whom I chose, because he kept my commandments and my statutes:
    35. But I will take the kingdom out of his son's hand, and will give it unto thee, even ten tribes.
    36. And unto his son will I give one tribe, that David my servant may have a light alway before me in Jerusalem, the city which I have chosen me to put my name there," I Kings 11:34-36.
    Agree once again, for God chose Himself a nation, and in that nation He chose specific one's in His omniscience, omnipresence, and omnipotence, so David can apply where I don't believe I can for we were not chosen of God. But today in His Mercy, and Grace our Most High God found a place for all those He did not choose to be with Him in His Kingdom, and in the Land that He will marry where His people dwell, - Isaiah 62:4-5. Today He says I choose all who will come to me to be in My Church, the Body of Christ Church. It is in me that you can now be in MY KINGDOM. You are now in the Bridegroom which cometh for His Bride, "for the Lord delighteth in thee, and thy land shall be married." We are not as David in the eyes of God.